He's considered using 2 different submission points (for 2 different markers), and then exporting the feedback (after having combined the two) into a third (the first two submission points will remain hidden as feedback and grades are not agreed upon at that point) which is where the students will pick up their final grades and feedback.
For some this might work (it's not an elegant solution, but it's probably do-able) - in this case however, he's using criterion based marking (via the marking guideline functionality), and there is no facility to export the criterion based feedback.
If anyone has any suggestions - or knows of any future developments in this area, I'd be most grateful.
Incidentally, I've been given a wish list from the academic - as follows:
"For my particular unit:
1st marker = supervisor
2nd marker = assessor.
M = must
S = should
C = could (nice to have)
- can download report (M) ideally from same place you enter marks (S)
- can enter marks in any order (M) - doesn't matter which marker goes first
- Student does not get to see anything except final mark and agreed comments (M)
- Criterion based marking (M), ideally each criterion can be % marked and then moodle handles the weighting of each criterion (C). Rubric grid still had some supporters, but only for short assignments
- Comments are possible (M), ideally against each criterion (C). It should be possible to feed these comments back to the students without the initial mark (M); one possibility would be to export the comments, another would be to allow students to see comments but not marks. Moodle at the moment does not allow the export of comments attached to individual criteria in the advanced grading method.
- can only see your own student(s) (S)
- cannot see other markers' mark (S)
- Both markers' initial marks are recorded for the purposes of an audit trail (S)
- You are directed to the right student and role - eg cannot accidentally enter marks for wrong student, or as 1st marker when you are the 2nd marker. (S)
- both markers go to same place/URL (C)
- there is a place to record discussion and final agreed mark (C). This is currently done offline.
- Would be nice to see your final mark before moodle saves it (C)"