Theme changes upgrading to 2.8 with custom menus

Theme changes upgrading to 2.8 with custom menus

by Melanie Scott -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I use the custom menus in themes and my menus have several menu levels--categories and subcategories, essentially (one of my favorite features in 2.x)...

In my current 2.5 site, each item in the menu is a link and functions properly as a link.  We love this.

In the 2.8 (we're working on an upgrade in a couple weeks) site, only the last link in the string works.  So if my top category is Online and I create the Online|myonlinecourse.com listing but nothing else, clicking the link works.  If I add three subcategory links (-Mandatory|mandatoryonline.com, -Elective|electiveonline.com & -Specialty|specialtyonline.com), the subcategory links work but not the original Online link.  If I add links to courses or other subcategories another level down, that level link works but not the Online, Mandatory, Elective or Specialty.  That said, if you right click and choose Open in a new tab or window, then the links work.  But my staff aren't that sophisticated and just getting them online is a challenge.  I'll still upgrade to 2.8 but this loss of functionality is frustrating.

I know this was mentioned here: tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-45893 but I didn't see any resolution (I was just skimming, looking for custom menu stuff)...it seemed like almost an afterthought.  I've fiddled around a bit and can add areas in the menu to make it work (basically adding another entry for the extra categories i.e -Online in addition to the Online) but that gets pretty ugly pretty fast...the menu would be confusing and monstrous. 

Is there a way to customize the theme to make the links work without craziness?  Or just fix it. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Melanie Scott

Re: Theme changes upgrading to 2.8 with custom menus

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What theme are you using?

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Melanie Scott -

I've seen it with both Clean and More (the two standard themes).  we haven't done anything with custom themes yet.  Was hoping I wouldn't have to...but if you know of a good theme that it does work on...please share!

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What theme are you using in 2.5?

If the theme in 2.5 is NOT a Bootstrap based theme then it will work correctly. The problem is a Bootstrap bug and nothing to do with Moodle.

Sorry...but that is the state of play with the Custom Menu for both Clean & More and any other Bootstrap derived theme.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Melanie Scott -

In 2.5 I'm on Formal White, which is no longer available on 2.8.

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

But you can still use Formal White in 2.8, the only difference is it is not totally responsive, meaning it does not show up well in some Mobile devices. However, it's OK in iPads/iPhones as the resolution in those devices scales down the larger screen sizes.

You can download a copy of Formal White from HERE

Cheers

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Melanie Scott -

Thanks a bunch!  I gave the tech your info and Formal White was loaded in less than 5 minutes and the menus work the way I want them to!

by Just H -

Just confirming what Mary said; we're still using Formal White as the main theme even though we've been on 2.8 for ages (we will be flicking to a new theme soon when we get time ... been saying that for about a year!), no major issues that I remember, just copy it back into the new structure when upgraded.