Error uploading audio files

Re: Error uploading audio files

by Brad Rhoads -
Number of replies: 8

Got this response from Jason. And now it works!  Thanks for the help! big grin

I updated the .htaccess file in / as suggested below.

The error message says:
The page you are trying to access is restricted due to a security rule.
If you believe the security rule is affecting the normal operation of your website, contact your host support team and provide detailed instructions how to recreate this error.

They will be able to assist you with rectifying the problem and adjusting the security configuration if needed.

Some websites suggest adding/altering this in your .htaccess, 
<IfModule mod_security.c>
# Turn the filtering engine On or Off
SecFilterEngine Off
</IfModule>

In reply to Brad Rhoads

by Susan Fleming -

Hello Justin

We are running into similar issues as described above.  We are on Moodle 2.9.  So far switching browsers seems to resolve the uploading issue, but I am getting reports from teachers that PoodLL audio recordings will not play.   The audio files I am seeing, are showing 00:00

When I attempt to create a file, it is showing the recording happening, but when I stop the recording, it reverts back to 00:00

Have tried in both Internet Explorer and FireFox - both browsers were updated in the last couple of days, so are current.

Susan

In reply to Susan Fleming

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

It sounds like the audio recordings are failing. 

What recorder are you using MP3 or Red5 (has a little green lamp and an mp3 checkbox on it)?

Can you play back the recording from the recorder itself?

Do very short recordings work?

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Susan Fleming -

Justin, thank you for getting back so promptely.

I am seeing no option for a recorder, either MP3 or Red5

Recording won't play back from anywhere - the recorder itself or from within the assignment.

The length of the recording doesn't make a difference - I have tried both short and long recordings.

The only tool that seems to be available deals with Audio Gain (50), Echo Suppression (on), Silence level (0), and Loopback (off)

Thought I would check the PoodLL video to see if the audio was working there - it isn't.

In the PoodLL video, Audio Rate is set at 22; the other settings are identical to the PoodLL Audio

mp4 is available but it doesn't make a difference whether or not it is ticked.

Video is working perfectly.

by Justin Hunt -

Well from all that it sounds like audio is not making it through to the recorder in the first place. ie It is not being captured.

This is because:

i) no sound can be played back from the audio recorder itself

ii) the video recorder records video, but not sound

This means that it is likely to be something specific to your pc. If it were a permissions issue, your video would not be captured. So this makes me think that you either have no microphone or your microphone is off or your machine has multiple audio capture devices and the wrong one is being used. 

If you right click the recorder and choose "settings" or "properties" you should be able to see the audio capture devices that Flash has detected. You can also see when audio is picked up by the mic. If you play around there, can you make something work?

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Susan Fleming -

Hello Justin

It has taken a bit, but but we have been able to make recordings fairly consistently on a couple of other computers, but I still can't record to PoodLL on my personal computer (Windows 8.0 PC) regardless of which browser (Internet Explorer ver 11.0.9600.18525; FireFox ver 50.0; Chrome ver 54.0.2840.99 m (64-bit)) .  We have also had four students out of approximately 800 (we are a very small community college smile ) report problems similar to what I am encountering.

I am guessing this may be related to how the local browsers/computer work with Flash, because both my microphones are being recognized when I use Kaltura and when I log into meetings using Bluejeans, Skype for Business, and Adobe Connect.

Susan

by Justin Hunt -

OK. What happens when you right click the recorder, choose settings,  and navigate to the microphone tab?

Can you get any volume indication there?

Or can you select different devices to get some sort of reading?

by Justin Hunt -

Also, just for kicks, what happens if you

i) use internet explorer from the machine experiencing the problem

ii) login as a student at: https://demo.poodll.com/mod/assign/view.php?id=87

iii) try to record audio

Does it work? 

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Susan Fleming -

I am getting a Nothing Was Submitted.  I suspect the problem is with the local computer and possibly Windows 8.  Of the few students who I have spoken to, two were also using Windows 8 and the third was using a browser I had never heard of before.

I don't think the problem is too wide spread or I would have heard from more students.

Thank you for looking into this.

Susan