Why My MOOC is Not Built on Video

Re: Why My MOOC is Not Built on Video

by dawn alderson -
Number of replies: 0

Good morning Keith C,

and what a lovely morning we have here, I should say. The sun is pouring through the window and it is set to be another -scorcher of a day....sea is freezing though! Warmest is Oct!  Never mind we have wet-suits so onwards.

Now, oh sorry about that-distracted. 

I think, one key issue with using video, whether synchronous or asynchronous is that the audience know exactly what is going on and which mode is being used at the time of audience engagement. I mean I once heard of an online course, whereby the teachers were lacking confidence to go live-so to speak- and the video was played to the cohort of learners as if it were live-but it had been pre-recorded....the audience twigged because of an obvious edit...the facilitator's hair design was not what it should have been, and the cut was very obvious in the flicking of the hair behind the ear....but the sad thing was that the learners were trying to ask question over Twitter.....in response to this charade!!!

Anyway, point is on two levels.....

1. the audience are engaging to learn....that is an essential thing that needs to be recognised by the facilitator

2. if this is not considered then we have sloppiness-and quality issues, and facilitators making out they know far more than they really do