Experiences with tgz backups - should it become default?

Re: Experiences with tgz backups - should it become default?

by ryan sanders -
Number of replies: 2

i would put BIG FAT FOOT DOWN WITH A NO! if users could unzip the file. and do anything with a backup files. with that said... bye bye zip 

hello .tgz it would be. 

i have not ran across any actual posts that i can remember ever, of recommend editing a backup file. with general users out of the way, just leaves admins, any admin should be able to quickly find an app if not already installed to un-compress files if every need be.

there are normally some other way to upload a spreadsheet, cvs file, or like, without ever needing to deal with a backup file. 

the only issue might be is "anti virus" at server level.  no clue how that hooks into things. 

In reply to ryan sanders

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

As a developer I sometimes have to pick apart .bzg files, and occasionally put them back together again after editing. And, most of the time I am stuck working on Windows.

Dealing with .tgz files there is not fundamentally harder than dealing with .zip (e.g. via wizip). If you know enough to unpack a .bgz file now, you will still be able to do it in future, I think.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by ryan sanders -
http://www.7-zip.org/ <- what i use vs winzip. 500 megs of text files = winzip an hour or longer.  7zip = 10 minutes. it seems like.  right click in "file explorer" of windows = fast options of basic formats.

.tgz   vs  .tar.gz    the double compression may cause issues.  and folks not understanding   (same thing just different way of showing it. as far as i know?

.tgz = tar first, then gzip

.tar = tar 

.gz = gzip

.tar.gz = tar first then gzip

for 7-zip = adding to archive (via right click) and choosing tar then click ok, then repeat but choose gzip next then ok  and then if need be rename file extension?