Is there a way to turn on an activity to only some students?

Is there a way to turn on an activity to only some students?

by Tina Smith -
Number of replies: 2

New to Moodle, still learning the ins and outs...these forums have been SO HELPFUL as I figure things out!

I am creating self directed courses for homeschoolers, and I just ran into an outstanding video that I'd like to share, but realize it won't be appropriate for all families. It's about Van Gogh and mentions brothels and prostitutes a couple times...and I know there will be families (maybe even me...I'm still trying to decide) who might not want to answer questions about this topic yet...especially with their younger children...

But it's seriously an outstanding documentary! (Starring Benedict Cumberbatch! It's on YouTube, check it out!!) and I am torn as to whether to include it or not.

I feel like a possible solution would be to offer this activity as optional, and only turn it on for the student to see in their list of activities if their parent has approved it for their viewing....but no idea if this is even possible....is it??

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tina Smith

Re: Is there a way to turn on an activity to only some students?

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Yes it's possible. You can for example hide the resource first and change roles for that particular resource only - see https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Assign_roles#Activity_Module_context

So when you select Edit settings for that activity (file) choose from activity administration menu  > Locally assigned roles and assign each student separately to teachers or non editing teachers role (assigned only to that activity)

In reply to Tina Smith

Re: Is there a way to turn on an activity to only some students?

by Paula Clough -
Tina,
You will have to have a way to make sure the parent has actually given permission. I am assuming you would have to have an email or something from the parent. 

Depends a little on which Moodle you have.  This idea is for 2.8.

Set up a group specifically for this activity.  Do not add the student's name to this group until you have received permission from the parent. Then when you create the URL link, go to the Restrict Activity section and add access restriction of Group and choose the group you have set up.  Students will not be able to view this activity until they are in the group.

Hope that helps. cool