Collapsed Topics - "not available"

Collapsed Topics - "not available"

by Wendi Daniels -
Number of replies: 13

I have collapsed topics as a format, and I just upgraded a few things, and now a customer logged in and went to the course, and all of the collapsed topics say "not available". Please help. I can see all the topics from admin, but not as a student.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wendi Daniels

Re: Collapsed Topics - "not available"

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I just replied to the message you sent me.  Please put details requested here.

What 'few' things did you upgrade?

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Wendi Daniels -

Gareth, is there a command to make all of the "eye's" open, rather than closed???

by Wendi Daniels -

I upgraded moodle. I reinstalled (and upgraded) your plugin. Will either of these make a difference in the command that is used?

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Ok, at the moment I still do not know the answers to the questions I posed in the message to you:

Moodle version?

Collapsed Topics version?

Did you follow the procedure in the Readme.md file?

Screen shots of the issue.

Did you change anything else?

All of which will help me to help you and without them I'm performing wild stabs in the dark trying to figure out what went wrong and how to fix it.  So please provide the information requested otherwise its extremely difficult to help.

Gareth

by Wendi Daniels -

Gareth, it is Moodle 2.7.1, and the lastest version of your topcoll plugin. Did you change the commands? Are they still the same? Screen shots seem to be difficult as this system always tells me the file is too big.

More clarity:

When I log in as an administrator, and I open up a course (with your plugin installed), all of the sections are shown. There are three icons next to each section: a cogwheel ("edit summary"), a llightbulb ("Highlight this section"), and an eyeball symbol ("Show/hide section"). I am referring to the eyeball (show/hide section).

When I go to Site Administration>Courses>Course Default Settings>Visible, I set it to "visible", but all of the eyeballs mentioned above are still closed, and the student logging in cannot see the section.

Please help me know how to set all the sections to have the eyeball automatically open. I would appreciate it. No, I changed nothing else. I simply upgraded moodle to 2.7.1 and I got your latest version of topcoll, just a few days ago. Unless you released a new version of topcoll in the past couple of days, it is the last one you created. did you change the commands from one version to another?

by Wendi Daniels -

If anyone else knows the answer to this, I would appreciate your insights.

by Gareth J Barnard -

So by latest version of Collapsed Topics you mean 2.7.1.4?

No, I have not changed any commands.  The format does not affect the eye ball.

For the screen shots, please create an issue here: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-format_topcoll/issues - and that should allow you to drag and drop them.

The setting 'Site Administration>Courses>Course Default Settings>Visible' is only for new courses.  Existing courses are not affected.  You will have to manually go through each section clicking on the eye to open it.

In 'Site Administration>Courses>Course Default Settings' what is the default course format please?

When you upgraded did you delete the entire 'topcoll' folder before you put in the new version?

by Gareth J Barnard -

Also, when you installed the format, did you set the defaults - i.e. click on Site Administration -> Notifications?

And please could you do a screen shot of the format's settings within the course settings.  Use the github issue I hope you will create.

Also, the limit for files in this forum is 500KB - which is a lot for an image - so if it's to big just reduce the resolution to something like 1024 pixels wide and post one image per reply.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

The "gear", "light", and "eye" only show to the course administer (in teacher), and they only show when you are in "edit" mode. Clicking on the "eye" cycles the topic from showing to not-showing, and versa-vice.  I really don't believe that the Site Administration | Courses| Course Default Settings | Visible setting pertains to whether or not sections within a course are visible, but rather "the course appears in the list of courses".  Additionally, in general, these three icons I don't believe have anything to do with collapsed topics (but once Gareth had to revise some code to make these appear on my Samsung Tab2, or something like that.)

Typically, if I have a hidden section I do not want student to see it, that's why I have hidden it.  So there are really two situations 1) do you want to hide or not hide a section (controlled by clicking the "eye"), and 2) when a section is hidden, do you want students to see its contents.  This second situation, I believe, is controlled by the setting Site Administration | Courses| Course Default Settings | Hidden sections.  Again, my own preference is to set this to "Hidden sections are completely invisible".

Maybe Gareth can suggest something additional to what I have said, but I don't believe that your request is a Collapsed Topics issue.

I am not sure if there is any setting in Moodle that says "make all sections in all courses be not hidden, regardless of what the instructor has decided to do by clicking the eye icon."

As you are gaining knowledge with your computer systems, you might someday want to pick up a more robust "screen capture" utility.  There are many that are free, but I prefer SnagIt by Techsmith, which runs on both the PC and Mac.  Then, you will not have to capture the entire screen but can focus into what you want to show (see my file.)

Attachment icons.jpg
Average of ratings:Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Wendi Daniels -

Thank you. Problem resolved - this is not a "collapsed topics" issue. I thought it was. Some of the "eyes" are open, as indicated in Rick's post, and some are closed. I don't know why, but I just went through all of the courses manually and fixed it.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Great to hear this, Wendy.  Your progress will be appreciated by Gareth, who was starting to pull the hair out of his head in order to help you.

by Evan Donovan -

I can confirm this is the resolution to this issue. You have to have all the topics set to visible (i.e.,  the eyeball), or they will show to non-privileged users (students) as "Not available".

I don't know if this was the case prior to Moodle 2.7, which is why Wendi may not have noticed it until she upgraded.