Archive course with records visible for instructors, but not students

Archive course with records visible for instructors, but not students

by charles steelman -
Number of replies: 4

It was time to rollover one of our courses, and I read the year end procedures document (http://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Year-end_procedures).  I elected to archive the course; I moved it to a hidden category called archives, and hid the course as well.  My desired outcome is for the course to remain visible for administrators to view records, but not be visible to students who are enrolled.

What I am seeing though, is that students call still see the old course; the only way to hide it from them is to unenroll them, but if I recall correctly (tried this back in v 2.2) unenrolling them will cause their records to be hidden.

Is there a way to achive this?  I would prefer not to run two moodles side by side, but I am thinking I may have to do so.

Thanks,

Charles

Average of ratings: -
In reply to charles steelman

Re: Archive course with records visible for instructors, but not students

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

That is not correct.  If the course is hidden, the only way students should be able to see it is if the student permissions are incorrectly set to allow them to view hidden courses.   Check the permissions on the student role for hidden courses and categories.

Make sure that you are actually logging in as a student to test and not just switching your role which never quite works the way you think it should when you are an admin!!

In reply to Emma Richardson

by ben reynolds -

Confirming Emma. I did "login as" a student in my hidden test course. I was thrown out because it is not available to students. Once out, I could not see the course.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by charles steelman -

Wonderful, thank you.  Indeed I did have view hidden courses set to allow for the student role, something I must have done 2 years ago and forgotten about.

In reply to charles steelman

by charles steelman -

So I remember now why I had view hidden enabled; we have some hidden courses, which are in hidden categories.  However I wanted enrolled students to be able to see the course if we manually enrolled them.

Now, I have configured a category override for the hidden course.  Changing the student role here to allow view hidden courses seems to work as desired.