Hide/Show Topic icon missing android tab 2

Hide/Show Topic icon missing android tab 2

by Rick Jerz -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Gareth, here's an odd one.  Tonight, I was experimenting with 2.7+More+Collapsed Topics on my Samsung Tab 2 (Android), just to see how things were looking.  What I noticed was that the icons to hide/show/highlight a topic were missing.  In my picture, this is how they look from my Mac, in Safari.  Yep, they are there. But on the Samsung Tab 2, the icons are missing, so I cannot show/hide or highlight a topic.

I tried Firefox for the Android, thinking it might be a browser problem, no luck.

I switched the course format from Collapsed Topics to Topics, and the icons do show.  So it seems to be something with Collapsed Topics.

I also tried removing all custom CSS, and this did not fix the problem.

Your thoughts?  If you can't get a Samsung tablet or equivalent, we might need someone else to verify this.

Thanks.

Moodle2.7+ (Build: 20140605)

(I cannot figure out how to take a screen shot from my Tab2.  I have the latest Android OS, and I can't find where they put the once easy to click on screenshot button.  Sorry.)

Attachment show-hide.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rick Jerz

Re: Hide/Show Topic icon missing android tab 2

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the report.  I can replicate and test using Chrome developer tools (device emulation).  CT has some code that strips off the sides for mobiles to create space.  At the time, mobiles were not so 'smart' and tablets were something you scribbled on with a scribe, so I did not envisage being able to edit a course effectively with such a device.

There for I need to tinker with the code (PHP and CSS) such that tablets can edit effectively.

Cheers,

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Rick Jerz -

Wow, so I really did discover a problem!

I purchased this Samsung Android Tab 2 (used) just a couple months ago (about $90), just so that I could see how my moodle runs on it.  First, Clean (and More) really do work well on it.  In fact, More will readjust itself differently (single column to multiple columns) when I rotate the tablet.  I purchased the smaller 7" model just to see what a small tablet could do.

I doubt that I will ever do any serious Moodle administration on a tablet, but others might.  So this problem should be addressed by someone.  I am not smart enough to know what to do.  If you want me to add any CSS code to my moodle I can.

Thanks for your reply.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Rick,

Please would you be so kind as to test this fix on a development serverhttps://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-format_topcoll/tree/MOODLE_27 - Download Zip button smile

Thanks,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Rick Jerz -

Yes, Gareth.  This seems to have fixed the problem.  I am now able to see the "show/hide" and "highlight" icons, tried them, and they work.

When do you think your fix will be available?

Thanks so much for taking care of this problem.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thanks for testing Rick.

Therefore I have plans to release in the next few days.