Category HTML Blocks and Uploaded Files

Category HTML Blocks and Uploaded Files

by Robert Girardin -
Number of replies: 0

Hello All,

I'm a developer / sys admin on our Moodle instance.  I have an HTML block setup on a course category.  In the block, course creator is supposed to link to files uploaded into a course.  Without consulting me, the users found an "efficiency" of uploading the files directly into the block using the link -> browse -> upload a file option.  Because these files are not part of a course's content I have the following questions:

1. If the link is deleted, will the uploaded file be deleted (I don't want legacy files sticking around)?
  2. Because the block is on the course category, are there any automated backups which backup up these blocks / files?
  3. As a sys admin, how can I remove files added in this manner by any user?  I don't have any repositories setup and the only place I can see a reference to the files in to log in as the uploader and it's listed in recent files.  There doesn't appear to be a manual way to delete them.

I need to know the answers to these questions so I can make a recommendation for or against using this upload method.

I know repositories would probably be the best way to go, but that won't happen around here for a long time from now, well beyond my contract end date.

We're currently on 2.5, should be updating to 2.6 in the next month or so.  2.7 isn't an option yet because we won't be able go through the dependency updates (mysql & php) in our allotted time window for the upgrade.

TIA,
Rob Girardin

Average of ratings: -