Theme Advice

Re: Theme Advice

by Nano A -
Number of replies: 4

Anyone?

In reply to Nano A

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

It depends on what you mean by BUGS? A lot of the problems faced by Essential were in Moodle. These have been fixed.  As far as I know all the problems people reported in Essential have been fixed in the latest version of Essential. DOWNLOAD ESSENTIAL ZIP

In reply to Mary Evans

by Nano A -

@ Mary:  Thanks for your reply.

I have been thinking of doing this for a while now, so I have subscribed to this thread to 'listen' to the conversation, and I saw lots of comments about these 2 themes.  I haven't read them all, but it's good to know that most were related to moodle and fixed.

Thanks for the link. smile

@Harmut:  I didn't think about it like that but I appreciate your input.  I am very visually oriented so I'm drawn to both themes.  I think Elegance looks nicer, but this is relative... maybe it is because I looked at essential for longer and Elegance is fresher.  But I understand your advice and it makes sense to go that way.  (although I really like Elegance more! hehehe)

@Julian:  Hey Julian, thanks for stepping in too.  Thanks for both contributions, both themes look really nice.  Really appreciate your work.  smile)

I'm also entertaining the idea of hiring a dev to maintain it in the future (if needed)...so my question is:  Based on your experience designing these themes, do you think that a web designer with no Moodle specific knowledge can maintain these themes in the future? 

In reply to Nano A

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Nano,

I prefer themes in which the theme creator is still interested in maintaining his/her theme. Julian Ridden promised to maintain Elegance as well as Essential for the next six months. If you have to decide between Elegance or Essential, I suggest to use the Essential theme. You mentioned the longer list of bugs already fixed in this theme. Another reason is that Essential is based on Bootstrap version 2.3 (which is also used in Moodle 2.7), whereas Elegance is based on Bootstrap version 3. So you may get more support for themes based on Bootstrap version 2.3. Beside this, docking is more likely to be possible with Essential in Moodle 2.7 rather than with Elegance.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by Julian Ridden -

And as creator of Both themes I want to agree with Hartmut's suggestions.

Please note that over 80% of the reported bugs on both themes have turned out not to be bugs in the first place. sad

Install, test, and then make up your own mind. smile

Julian