Theme issue with Book Module & ddMarker Plugin

Theme issue with Book Module & ddMarker Plugin

by Rodney Wolford -
Number of replies: 15

Hello,

Thought I would give the 2.5.4 Essential theme a try, but have encountered two problems for your review and comment.

Here is the first, concerning the Book Module. The other is in ddmarker and will follow in a separate email.

The attached Book Module screen shot tells it all. The Table of Contents appears over the image area for the book page and is not draggable from this location. I checked it in Clean theme and it can be drug to the right column. Also draggable in Standard theme.

I did completely remove Essential 2.5.3 before adding 2.5.4.

Let me know if I should submit this as a bug or if there is some solution I am missing.

Regards

Rod

Attachment BookScreenShot_Essential_Theme_2.5.4.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rodney Wolford

Essential 2.5.4 Sneak Peek -- Issue with ddMarker Question Module

by Rodney Wolford -

Hello,

Thought I would give the 2.5.4 Essential theme a try, but have encountered two problems for your review and comment.

This is issue two, concerning the ddmarker Question module.

The attached dd_marker Question screen helps explain the issue I am having. Notice the blue box in the background of the image. This defines the extent of the active drag and drop area. The graphic extends greater than that and any image area outside the blue box cannot have a marker dropped on it.

I checked it in Clean theme and it can be drug to the right column. Also draggable in Standard theme.

I did completely remove Essential 2.5.3 before adding 2.5.4.

Let me know if I should submit this as a bug or if there is some solution I am missing.

Regards

Rod

Attachment DD_marker_Essential_Theme_2.5.4.png

Re: Essential 2.5.4 Sneak Peek -- Issue with ddMarker Question Module

by David Scotson -
You might want to comment on the bug CONTRIB-4557 or open a new one about the ddmarker, as they were fairly responsive the last time. It's not an Essential problem, it'll affect any theme that inherits from Clean (and any that otherwise try to make img's resize for mobile devices in the same way.)

They may have to rethink their strategy if they want the question type to work on mobile devices though. I'm not sure how a question with a near lifesize desktop screenshot is ever going to work on an iPhone.

In reply to David Scotson

Re: Essential 2.5.4 Sneak Peek -- Issue with ddMarker Question Module

by Rodney Wolford -

David,

I will report as a bug, as you suggest. However, hope you will also look at the issue in Book, which is a different problem.

Thanks,

Rod

Re: Essential 2.5.4 Sneak Peek -- ddMarker and Book

by Rodney Wolford -

Seeing that the navigation elements (Quiz Navigation in ddMarker and the TOC in Book) seek out the Left Column, which still remains to the right of the content in the Essential theme, I decided to see what would happen if I moved all the side bar elements into that Left Column. This resulted in the Left Column moving over, replacing the Right Column and now everything fits just fine for ddMarker and Book. Not a perfect solution, but works for now. Will still report as bug in Book and in ddMarker using language suggested by Mary.

I do have one question though, what custom .css could I use to narrow the Left (side bar) Column? It is much wider than needed by about 15%. That would give me even more room for the content.

Thanks,

Rod

Attachment Book_2.png

Re: Essential 2.5.4 Sneak Peek -- ddMarker and Book

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The width of the columns are set as percentages, which is approx 23%.

You can read about how it works HERE

If you chose to change this then it is quite complex for this theme, but if you do not stray too far from span3, span4, span8, span9 and span12 you wont go far wrong.

Also please let me know what the MDL Tracker ticket number is for the bug report about the mod/book?

Cheers

Mary

Re: Essential 2.5.4 Sneak Peek -- Issue with Book Module

by Julian Ridden -

I sadly sound like a bit of a broken record here. I cannot support the infinite combination of third party plugins. Essential is only being maintained against core code. DDMarker is not standard and therefore not covered for support by this theme.

In relation to your issues with book (which is standard moodle) I cannot replicate your issues with the current release. I have tested in Chrome, FF and Safari and in all these browsers. I have attached a screenshot. Can anyone else verify this?

Book Demo

In reply to Julian Ridden

by David Scotson -
From the other screenshot I'd guess that they're using a table to layout the "Required Configuration" info and it's quite likely that it says somewhere "this table should be 1000px wide" or similar.

edit: actually re-reading the issue it seems they can't move the TOC block. Is it really possible to move that block in Clean and Standard? It's not obvious to me how you do it if it is possible.
In reply to David Scotson

by Seth Mengal -
this would be great, super excited!! smile

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I would like to hazard a guess that the layout set by Essential, for this particular view is not the same as the one when using Moodle's "Standard" theme.

Can you test this same page using the Standard theme, and tell me which side the blocks are on if any (other than the TOC)?

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mary Evans -

I've just tested this and the only thing I could find wrong with this is the Book module itself as the TOC seems to only want to add the the TOC block to the left side (which in Essential is the center column). Also you should alwasys turn editing off, as editing can present the page somewhat distorted no matter which theme you use. So this is NOT a theme related question.

But thanks for bringing this to the attention of the millions of people who read this discussion.

You could file a BUG for this in Moodle Tracker and describe it as...

"Book mod does not add TOC to default region" and then explain that the default region, when added to a theme config, should also be the default block region that the Book TOC should be placed, and NOT always on the left side as this can create problems in themes.

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Rodney Wolford -

Mary,

I will do as you suggest. However, I thought you might also be interested in this image, which shows that TOCs in Clean and Standard ARE moveable in edit mode, but when finishing editing, they always revert to the left.

Regards,

Rod

Attachment TOC_issue.png

by Mary Evans -

How bazaar is that! This nut have something to do with the OU if it follows the Quiz structure.

Could you add that same screenshot when you create the Tracker? Many thanks.

Mary

Theme Issue with Book Module and ddMarker Plugin

by Mary Evans -

Rodney, as you will see when you go to the Themes Forum I have SPLIT this discussion thread from the main one about the 'Essential theme' as we have discovered it is NOT a theme problem.

Cheers

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)