MyMobile vs. Moodle Mobile

MyMobile vs. Moodle Mobile

by Jay Salgado -
Number of replies: 4

Hi, I just finished the customization of the .css of MyMobile template and it looks great on a blackberry, possibly also in an iPhone. Given the success of the template, why would an administrator prefer to switch to the Moodle Mobile App? Is there any advantage in such decision?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jay Salgado

Re: MyMobile vs. Moodle Mobile

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Jay,

There are a few outstanding issues with the MyMobile theme that need to be addressed.  Search tracker and you'll see what I mean.

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Jay Salgado

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Jay,

MyMobile and Moodle Mobile are not alternate solutions for Moodle Mobile access.

You have to think that are complementary tools:

- MyMobile is a Moodle theme that enable any user to browse a full Moodle installation

- Moodle Mobile is a mobile app that enable users to read offline contents, use their Mobile phone hardware (camera, audio recorder) and also in a near future receive notifications. 

Moodle Mobile will never have the 100% of Moodle features, this will required a big developers team. Moodle Mobile is just a mobile app that may help users to read offline contents and receive notifications.

By the way, MyMobile theme doesn't work very well, Moodle HQ is creating a new theme called bootstrap/simple that will be available in Moodle 2.5 that follows a responsive design approach. It works very well on Mobile.

Regards

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Jay Salgado -

Hi Juan, thank you for your informed reply. Looking forward for Moodle 2.5, just a little afraid new versions will override my customization to the css and php files.

Also thanks to Gareth for his reply.

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Michel DENIS -

I'm testing Clean, Bootstrap and More themes on Android Mobile, with Moodle 2.7.1 : discovering that lists of discussions are not well displayed on screen : the right part of lines are not visible.

But MyMobile is working well !

-michel