Flowplayer HTML5 - potential replacement of flash video player and consistency across platoforms

Flowplayer HTML5 - potential replacement of flash video player and consistency across platoforms

by Ruslan Kabalin -
Number of replies: 39
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I would like to suggest to look into Flowplayer HTML5 as default HTML 5 video player in Moodle. This will allow to have a consistent HTML 5 player throughout different browsers and platforms, also it will introduce great customisation and control possibilities to make it look and behave exactly as user and developer wants.

Potentailly, it can replace existing flash video plugin, as Flowplayer HTML5 can automatically fall back to using flash if playing video using HTML5 engine is not supported in the browser.

This could be a good way forward, given that flash is moving out mobile platforms at the moment (Android version of flash is no longer maintained) where HTML5 is going to be the primary method of publishing media content. Also, Adobe announced that HTML5 is their primary dev focus at the moment.

So, what we will get with Flowplayer HTML5 - here are the highlights I picked from its documentation:

• Themes and splash screen support
  • Extensive configuration and API (useful for trigerring events if we need player to notify something)
  • Easy integration with Google analytics
  • Supports RTMP streaming playing
  • Possibiliy of "embedding" Moodle video somewhere else (if enabled)
  • Support of subtitles (good for acessibility and using for language teaching)

You can visit flowplayer website for look and feel. Any comments are welcome, in particular regarding replacement of existing Flowplayer flash video player with its HTML 5 version and turing two video players in Moodle configuration (flash and html5) into one.

Related tracker issue: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-38158

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Ruslan Kabalin

Re: Flowplayer HTML5 - potential replacement of flash video player and consistency across platoforms

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Yes - I think this could be really useful. 

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Flowplayer HTML5 - potential replacement of flash video player and consistency across platoforms

by tim st.clair -
Picture of Plugin developers

Ditto Popcorn.js, by the Mozilla team - so also Open source, and has plugins for various things like SoundCloud, YouTube and Vimeo. FlowPlayer is good, I've used it lots in the past, but now am leaning more towards Popcorn because of the team behind it.

Be nice if there was a framework behind the media embedding so you could switch out one engine and throw in another, without having to tweak all the courses.

by Kevin Wiliarty -

Video JS ( http://videojs.com ) offers some of the same. It is free and open source. The free version of FlowPlayer apparently forces a FlowPlayer logo.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Kevin Wiliarty

by Matt Bury -

I agree that a fully free and open source media player would be preferable. Neither FlowPlayer or JWPlayer are fully free (as in libre), although the JW Player has nice features like being able to stream videos directly from youtube and cut out the annoying popups/advertising. The caveats to watch out for are support for relevant things to elearning like support for live feed streaming, multiple audio streams, multiple file formats (media containers and CODECs - MOV, M4V, MP4, OGG, WebM (OnVP8), FLV (OnVP6), F4V, F4A, AAC, and MP3), SMIL (TimedText/RealText) and SubRip captions, etc. You can get a good idea by looking at the features supported by the Moodle 1.9 Media Player plugin: http://code.google.com/p/moodle-mplayer/, which uses the JW Player.

The standard media support in Moodle has always been pretty basic at best and doesn't allow for more that just a "one size fits all" upload and embed, or iframe link to Youtube, Vimeo, etc., or a 3rd party commercial media service plugin.

It might be worth checking out the Open Source Media Framework (OSMF: http://www.osmf.org/) for a Flash based media player that'll support more advanced functions (very customisable and you can use an Apache Software Foundation priority project to build and compile it: http://flex.apache.org/index.html with an open source IDE: http://www.flashdevelop.org/) and then a decent open source JS wrapper, like video.js (http://videojs.com/ - which looks good!), to handle choosing the most appropriate avaliable option between HTML5 and Flash.

The video.js website has a misleading bit in here: "Most Flash video players are HUGE. Hundreds of additional kilobytes loaded in addition to the video being played." - The JW Player is less than 100Kb and I don't think the FlowPlayer is much bigger. When you're streaming video, 100Kb isn't particularly relevant.

Another correction worth mentioning, Adobe still maintains Flash Player 11.2 for Android. They aren't updating it with the new features from Flash Player 11.4 for Windows and OSX possibly because they're irrelevant to mobile devices, e.g. concurrency (multi threading), further support for 3D rendering engines and frameworks, and GPU acceleration for high end gaming, etc. Basically, Flash Player 11.2 is as good as it's gonna get for mobile devices. Mobile devices will have to evolve significantly before it becomes worthwhile introducing these features to them.

I hope this helps!

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Matt Bury

by Ruslan Kabalin -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks Matt. That is true, Adobe still maintains Flash Player 11.2 for Android (i.e. doing security and bug  fixes), I did not use the right word. But I am not sure that the reason of not updating and avialability is pure 'irellevance'. If you buy a new Android device today (Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 for example), it will not have flash installed, and it will not be available on the Google play for installation either (will be listed as incompatable with your device), you will need to do some tricks to make it installed and work, and even after that, it will not work with any installed mobile browser. This is a snippet from the offical Adobe announcement back in 2011:

We will no longer continue to develop Flash Player in the browser to work with new mobile device configurations (chipset, browser, OS version, etc.) following the upcoming release of Flash Player 11.1 for Android and BlackBerry PlayBook.  We will of course continue to provide critical bug fixes and security updates for existing device configurations. 

by Matt Bury -

You're right, the current policy of Adobe, Apple, Google, et al in mobile devices seems to be to push web access onto desktop software and runtimes, rather than accessing them through general purpose browsers. In my opinion, the option of dedicated CMS and LMS specific apps is an option worth investigating, e.g. http://wpiphone.wordpress.com/ and http://android.wordpress.org/

Looks like they made a start: http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Mobile_app and then abandoned it: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=206758 - Using a desktop wrapper app for HTML5 still leaves the multimedia issues unresolved.

In reply to Matt Bury

by Alexandro Colorado -

I hink this really is more of an editor conversation, the Wordpress editor is much better suited for media handling including video.

Tiny MCE still have no button for Youtube, or DailyMotion. Most of the video in the web at the moment are URLs from these platforms.

I would suggest to update the editor to adopt these video buttons, as for special native player, I find it hard to validate since most of the mobile space, video is usually happening somewhere else. Even MP4 videos dont really happen in the browser but in a MIME-TYPE to the native media player of the platform.

by Ruslan Kabalin -

Looks interesting, need to look into it further.

by Dan Poltawski -

I like the look of flow player (apart from its slightly weird license).

First of all, we do already have some html5 video support - see core_media_enable_html5video. But I also think its worth clarifying what video types we are talking about here. The html5 video tag is a complete mess because the browser vendors can't agree to support a universal codec. They outline it here in their docs: http://flowplayer.org/docs/#video-formats

The upshot is that a teacher would need to transcode their video into mp4 (H264) and webm/ogv in order to support all browsers with html5 video. So, this isn't an all singing and dancing solution for html5 video.

(Rant: Chrome have announced that they are dropping support for H264, whilst actively supporting flash which IMO only serves to make the situation worse, forcing us all into using Flash fallbacks.)

In reply to Dan Poltawski

by Kevin Wiliarty -

Dan, the post you cite says that Chrome will continue support for WebM and Theora. Not that it's good that they're dropping H.264, but that leaves them with the same native codecs as FireFox, I think.

by Dan Poltawski -

Yep, but I strongly believe that this won't lead to WebM and Theora being widely adopted, it'll just lead to Chrome and Firefox being the IE6 of the internet video.

Disclosure: I like Apple, I don't think they'll move away from H.264 (and hardware accelerated processing) in a hurry and that will command a lot of influence on the market. Also WebM's 'freedom' needs Apple to trust Google's patent portfolio... Chrome removing support for H264 will only lead to increase the role of flash (especially with them bundling it with chrome!).

On my iPhone and iPad I see almost all video natively as H.264 these days. I don't see people transcoding to webM too much (apart from Google properties).

by Matt Bury -

Hi Dan,

What do you think would happen if YouTube stopped supporting H.264 and switched to WebM (On VP8)?

...apart from it being a declaration of war against Apple, Microsoft, and the Moving Picture Experts Group, MPEG, who own the patent for H.264 and intend to start charging for its use at some point in the not too distant future (They've postponed it for now).

In reply to Matt Bury

by Dan Poltawski -

I don't think it'll ever happen. Googles business is advertising, they can't just eliminate a massive segment of the market like that. To be sure, I don't think it'd change apples strategy, look at maps!!

by Dan Poltawski -

ps. I think that steve jobs 'thoughts on flash' has stood the test of time: http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Matt Bury -

Sorry Dan, can't let that one slide. The blog post, "Thoughts on Flash" was... let's say... less than accurate.

I, like many others, wrote an evidence based response: http://blog.matbury.com/2011/10/01/thoughts-on-flash/

We can like the guy and appreciate what he's achieved and the contributions he's made but that doesn't mean we have to blithely accept every word he uttered as gospel.

In reply to Matt Bury

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Luckly many of us did not have to write anything because the "Thoughts..." post was 100% perfect. wink

PS: Said by a Mac lover, but more important, a Flash hater (the 2 facts are unrelated in my case, my feelings come from way, way earlier).

In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Matt Bury -

Hi Eloy,

I'm sorry to hear that you're so disinterested in evidence and rational thought. Emotion does play an important part in our decision making processes (See Lev Vygotsky, Michael Tomasello, et al.) but that isn't to say that we should be ruled by them.

How well informed is your opinion? Presumably, you've had some reasonably in depth experience Flash development? Your profile says that you're a Java developer. Java and AS 3.0 aren't all that different you know ;)

by Ruslan Kabalin -

As I pointed out in the tracker, one thing to consider is that neither Flowplayer HTML5 nor Video JS suggested by Kevin, support <audio> tag, so for the audio, we will either need to rely entirely on in-browser HTML5, or keep the flash version of Flowplayer. There are some players on the web that support both <video> and <audio>, and doing fallback to flash if needed, but some do not seem mature enough, or not "open" enough. Two summary lists I found are:

Investigation is required.

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Ruslan,
it's supposed to avoid products like jPlayer, being based on jQuery, isn't it?

Matteo

In reply to Matteo Scaramuccia

by Ruslan Kabalin -

Hi Matteo, Why do you think jQuery-based products should not be considered?

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Well, if you want it to get into core, then my understanding is it would have to be YUI based and not jQuery (or presumably straight javascript - or no javascript smile ), although third party plugins are able to use jQuery if required.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Ruslan Kabalin -

jQuery is in the core already (see http://docs.moodle.org/dev/jQuery). I personally do not see a problem of having jQuery-based player in the core. There is no html5 player with flash fallback that would be based on YUI in fact.

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Ruslan,

Its not my decision and I'm not arguing in favour of one or the other or something entirely different, I'm only reporting what has been passed back and for so many times in so many discussions, especially on the themes forum where we have been repeatedly told that while jQuery is acceptable in third party plugins it will not be used in any core features where YUI is the chosen library for implementation. Therefore, some of the great recent bootstrap themes for example will not be taken into core because they use jQuery, while the ones in core (bootstrapbase and clean) make use of a YUI port of some of those features.

If the development team at HQ did then opt to implement a jQuery media player in core, it would be very difficult to see a continued justification for excluding jQuery in other plugins being adopted to core

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Ruslan Kabalin -

I see your point Richard.

by Brian Merritt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I have a Moodle 2.6 site with .mp4 video files, and by disabling quicktime Moodle defaults to HTML5 Player and they play fine at size determined by CORE_MEDIA_VIDEO_WIDTH.

1. Can someone please tell me which HTML5 player is this?  One of the open source versions or something else?

2. Has anyone tried to make this responsive? a width of 100% within the span should work, but medialib.php sets a tiny default and my larger override in the theme then makes it un-responsive.

3. Finally, if anyone could point me to the correct player code in Moodle, that would be fantastic.  I can find flowplayer easy enough, but not the player for html5 video.  Is it embedded in YUI ?

Many thanks if you can help!

Brian

In reply to Brian Merritt

by Matt Bury -

Hi Brian,

The HTML5 player will be whatever's built into the user's web browser. You have no control over this (except maybe recommending or requiring users to use a particular web browser).

So called "HTML5 players", e.g. Flowplayer and JW Player, are simply themes that style the web browser's built in media player, e.g. dimensions, which player controls to display, etc. The better ones include some "workarounds" in Javascript to implement features that aren't yet available natively in all HTML5 browsers, e.g. captioning, bandwidth switching, and streaming (experimental). HTML5 media playback should be considered "a work in progress."

In reply to Matt Bury

by Brian Merritt -

Thanks Matt

I have managed to get everything nice and responsive, and now have to override the medialib player so that I can take set up automatic fallback (currently if I have 2 X sources <source src="url/video1.mp4" type="video/wp4" /> <source "src=url/video1.webm" type="video/webm" /> then it gets rendered as one video above the other wink

I think if I turn off the browser controls and use some Javascript it will be pretty stable, and the fall back is the user can always click on the link.

Will try to document it, assuming I get it all working.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Matt Bury -

I think another strategy worth considering is using iframes to embed a single, borderless page (PHP script) with all the HTML, CSS, Javascript, and Flash fallbacks, and download links you need. This is how sites like Youtube.com and Vimeo.com do it when they offer embed code to copy and paste into users' websites and social media services.

You can pass in the video URLs as query strings and you can make it so that the dimensions of the video player on the page always match the dimensions of the iframe it's embedded in.

e.g. (I've left out the tag '<' '>' brackets and  the "no iframes" alternative content):

iframe src="path/to/video/page.php?src=path/to/video/file.mp4&path/to/video/file.webm" width="1280" height="720" iframe

And if at all possible, I recommend not using Moodle's file manager to serve video or any "heavy" media, i.e. large file sizes. Since Moodle serves files using a PHP proxy script, with more than a small number of concurrent users accessing large files, you can quickly reach your server's memory limits.

I hope this helps!

In reply to Matt Bury

by Brian Merritt -

Many thanks Matt - I will review that option, having managed to get easyXDM up and running between WordPress and Moodle.  Working towards my holy grail of auto sign in smile

In reply to Matt Bury

by Charlotte Meany -

@Matt Bury 

You seem to be very knowledgeable on the subject of video streaming methods so

I started up an account to ask you specifically if you believe the quality of stream

has more to do with the media server or player settings?

I have installed RED5 media server on my VPS Linux running Centos 6.4 and use

Drupal as CMS. I have tested JWplayer and, unless you pay, there is no way of changing

the default high bitrate settings so I am looking into flowplayer. Deciding between html 5 or

flash version. However, now wondering if quality of stream has less to do with player settings

and more to do with media server settings and/or ability to handle especially live stream. 

To make things more confusing I've installed FFmpeg to use on command line and try

and learn how to tweak settings of playback.

Adobe media live server is not readily compatible with Linux and I would like to use

open source RED5 because I have it successfully set up but am confused about

recording and playing back live streams which have been to date woefully bad quality.

Any suggestions or explanation would be gratefully received.

In reply to Charlotte Meany

by Matt Bury -

Hi Charlotte,

Can you give some more details? What kind of streaming do you want to do? Do you need to stream live broadcasts? What platforms are you targeting? Is there any particular reason why you're managing a media server in-house rather than using a 3rd party CDN?

In reply to Matt Bury

by Charlotte Meany -

Hi Matt,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, really appreciate it.

Yes, I need to stream live broadcasts primarily for desktop users but obviously want to include mobile users.

It is a 'virtual pub' for artists. The idea came up because many of my friends, including myself, are artists but

with limited venues to play, especially musicians. I am aware of USTREAM and other companies offering live

broadcast but the cost is prohibitive or just too much forced advertising. Trouble is for music played live

you obviously need good audio and little or no latency which I'm starting to understand requires a certain

expertise in not only codecs, servers, players/recorders but cross browser plus platform and world region

access. It is a tall task but not impossible.

In reply to Charlotte Meany

by Matt Bury -

Hi Charlotte,

You say you're getting poor quality recordings. What kind of hardware are you using? i.e. What CPU, GPU, DDR memory, OS (64 bit?) are you using? What kind of video camera?

by Sam Sokol -

Hi Brian. I'm trying to do something similar to what you have described, and having some trouble. In fact, what I'm attempting to do is probably a bit easier.

The current videos are .flv, and I'm converting them to .m4v and/or .mp4. FLV obviously doesn't work for mobile devices.

What I need to do is make sure that mobile devices (iOS and Android) can play videos on the site easily without having to download them. When I add a video using the WYSIWYG, the Moodle (standard) player will allow it to play in the browser of Firefox, Chrome, IE, with no trouble via Quicktime. However, on my device, it has to download the file, or it will not play.

I set up a test for the devices using plain HTML (outside of the Moodle framework), and the video plays using a web browser, and plays fine using my Galaxy S4.

The code looks like this:

<video controls height="240" preload src="033011_texasa_0945_nelson_jstuart_01-1.mp4" width="360"></video>

However, when I use the same code (changing the file reference to be correct in the Moodle system of course), it will not play via the Android device. I've even turned off Multimedia plugins!

I'm so confused on what to do to solve this issue. I have 215 videos that must be converted and accessible on mobile devices. Any help you can provide is much appreciated.

In reply to Sam Sokol

by Brian Merritt -
Here is the code I used for the book import.  

I tried using video-js player, but in the end I turned video js player off and still got good results - it was just the browser's player.  The poster="1.png" was superfluous, as the customer wanted autoplay in the end.  You could use a .flv fallback if you prefer.

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<title>Welcome</title>
</head>
<body>
<div>
<video id="responsive_video" class="video-js vjs-default-skin" controls="controls" autoplay="autoplay" preload="auto" data-setup="{}" poster="1.png">
<source src="1.mp4" type="video/mp4" />
<source src="1.webm" type="video/webm" />
<a class="mediafallbacklink" href="1.mp4">1.mp4 </a>
</video>
</div>
</body>
</html>

by Ruslan Kabalin -

HTML5 player story continues and I am working on it now. I have put together a wiki page where I subjectively smile (well, from developer perspective) evaluated Flowplayer HTML5, Video.JS and Projekktor from different sides (mostly functionality). There are also links to mock page and source code, allowing you so replicate what I did.

http://docs.moodle.org/dev/HTML5_player

Currently the situation is that FlowPlayer HTML5 beats two others, not because I like it more (in fact I like more how Projekktor looks like), but because it caused me no headache to make it work, and then it just worked everywhere as expected. But I am open for discussion, and if you think that I am wrong in some point, please let me know and support your statement with verifiable examples smile.

Once we come to conclusion, I will come up with a patch that makes FlowPlayer (or any other) a default one for handling HTML5 content. Technical aspects will be discussed separately on the tracker. In general, the idea is that FlowPlayer HTML5 will handle all existing HTML5 Video extensions as per core_media_player_html5video class, plus m3u8 (HLS). It will also be possible optionally to make flash files handled by HTML5 Video player as well (using old flash player for flv will remain possible at this stage as well).

by Ruslan Kabalin -

As an intermediate solution, while there is no dedicated HTML5 player in Moodle yet, consider using JW Player filter we have developed: 

https://github.com/lucisgit/moodle-filter_jwplayer

Notice, that JW Player is not free for commercial use. The filter does not include JW Player code, you have to obtain one from their website,  or use the cloud version. In either case you have to accept terms and conditions. The installation instruction is included.

by Louise Spencer -

I have used your jwplayer plugin filter however we are having issues. when you refresh the page the player doesn't load again. To get it to load again I have to set the text cache lifetime to none, but we don't want to do this for all of the filters. any suggestions on how to stop the filter from caching?