Backup and restore

Marc Couture
Can't enrol users to restored course backup (1.9 to 2.4)

Hi,

I'm in the process of testing the latest 2.4.1+ version of Moodle and encountered a very strange problem.  I created a backup of a simple course on our 1.9.18 production server - a test course containing 4 files, all referenced on the course's home page - and successfully restored it to a new site on our test 2.4.1 server. 

Thinking all is well, I then attempted to enrol some colleagues to show them the results, and found out that there is no way to add users as the "enrol users" button isn't available:

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: -
Marc Couture
Re: Can't enrol users to restored course backup (1.9 to 2.4)

Here is the debugging info, from a local installation running the same version of Moodle 2.4.1:

I thought at first it was a theme problem, but no matter which one I try, the same PHP errors come up.

Picture of Ken Task
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Have you set the enrollment methods allowed for the course just restored?  It is possible that all enrollment methods have been set to hidden (a hickup?).

If there are enrollment methods allow (manual should always be allowed, I would think) and you still see no button, turn on debugging and let's see if it says anything that will provide a clue.

Is the WAMP posting related?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Marc Couture

Hello Ken,

You were on the right track: for some reason, the restore process set enrolment methods to none (not hidden, just no method defined...).  I had to go in and add a method manually.  I am now able to enrol users manually.

This is a serious bug, most of our users will never find this option...  Where should I report this? The closest related tracker issue I could find was this one: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-29557

Thanks for the quick reply!

Marc Couture

One final piece of the puzzle: this "bug" appears only if I attempt to restore a course in admin mode.  Testing this procedure as a teacher works fine, so no worries here, fortunately.