Using Moodle as a "Secure FTP Site"?

Using Moodle as a "Secure FTP Site"?

by Carissa Wolgamott -
Number of replies: 9

I am new to Moodle and am wondering if it is possible to use Moodle as somewhat of a secure ftp site (version: Moodle 2.0)?  I would like for a user to be able to upload files that only they and one other person would be able to have access to.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. smile  I am wondering if I should be using file system repositories, a hidden course, etc.?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Carissa Wolgamott

Re: Using Moodle as a "Secure FTP Site"?

by Andrew Normore -

/bump

I'm looking for a good solution to this as well. I'd like users to be able to upload files, and set them public or private. 

I want them accessible to guests from external sources, as well.

by Allegre Guillaume -

Maybe you should tell what do you mean by "secure ftp site", because I think this expression could be very confusing.

Do you mean any sort of user interface which allow users to upload files, but with a dedicated client software (not a web browser) ? Or precisely using the FTP protocol (File Transfer Protocol) ? Or one "Secure FTP" protocol, as described in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_FTP#Secure_FTP ? (SFTP is the most used).

If you mean using a specialized protocol (FTP, SFTP...), it can't be only a Moodle feature, as you need a server for this protocol. If it is possible, it would certainly be a kind of Moodle Repository, see http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Repositories

But are you sure that the standard "Upload a file" repository (via the browser) doesn't fit ? Because if you choose a solution based on an external server, you will have to maintain a second reference for user accounts. Maybe possible for a few users, but it seems not very scalable.

In reply to Allegre Guillaume

by Carissa Wolgamott -

Guillaume,

Good morning.  Thank you so much for your response.  I am wondering if it would be possible to create a hidden course that only two users have access to where they could upload and download files that would only be accessible to them?  I have looked into file system repositories, but it appears that others might be able to access the files.  I am looking for a solution where only the user who uploads the files, and one other user, would be able to access the files.  I am wondering if this is possible or if you might have any other suggestions? smile

I hope you have a wonderful day.

Sincerely,

Carissa Wolgamott

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Carissa,

If you're talking abut just having a shareable, highly controllable files repository, I use ownCloud too. It's free and open source and extensible. There are desktop clients for various operating systems for synchronising directories between your desktop and the server. Each file has one "owner" who can delegate access and permissions to other users in his/her network. You can also make files accessible publicly if you want.

You generally only want to give users FTP access if they're putting executable code on your server, e.g. PHP or Perl. HTTP will work for just about everything else.

In reply to Matt Bury

by Carissa Wolgamott -

Ken and Matt,

Good afternoon.  Thank you for your recommendation of looking into ownCloud.  I am wondering if you might happen to know if it is HIPAA compliant?

Sincerely,

Carissa Wolgamott

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hmmmm ... http://www.iqstorage.com/owncloud.html

not free.

One might need this: http://scap.nist.gov/hipaa/

Was attempting to answer first posting about Moodle as a 'secure file sharing' app.  HIPAA compliance adds a twist. 

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Carissa Wolgamott -

Ken,

Thank you so much for all of your help. smile  I greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Carissa Wolgamott