What repository/file management system to use, why and when?

What repository/file management system to use, why and when?

by Todd Thornton -
Number of replies: 0

I'm setting up a new install and while I understand repositories in general, I'm looking for imput on why you'd use a certain setup for files. For instance:

Why would you use aliasing with Dropbox/Box, etc. rather than aliasing a file stored directly into server files?

Would you use external (Dropbox/Box) if you are only going to also be using files outside of your Moodle install? 

Would you create a seperate course for all shared resources or just create a repository folder in moodledata? Why? 

Do you use automatically use aliasing if you expect to share a resourse over X number of times throughout your system? 

Would you use a certain setup if the people selecting files needed to do more searching instead of already knowing what they needed to link to? 

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding the pros and cons to different setups/workflows and am specically looking for "pitfalls" going forward. A year from now I'd prefer not to say "I wish I would have used this file setup". I realize the aliasing is pretty new, but if anyone has any thoughts on how you plan on implententing file management given the new possibilities I'd appreciate the comments.

Todd 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)