General add-ons

Picture of Juan Leyva
Internal mail plugin for Moodle 2, alpha version, testing required
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi,

this block is an internal mail system for Moodle 2 with similar features to the old email list block,  also is YUI/AJAX based, here you have a full description: https://github.com/jleyva/moodle-block_jmail/blob/master/README.txt

We are releasing this alpha version that we are testing and fixing small bugs, we haven't tested it in Moodle 2.3 yet.

This post is a call for testers and feedback, also if you have some funding you can contribute to finish and polishing the plugin, contact with me using the private messages (CV&A Consulting - Moodle partner Spain is sponsoring this work)

You can download the code here:
https://github.com/jleyva/moodle-block_jmail

Please, note that is an alpha version

Regards

Average of ratings: -
Picture of AL Rachels
Re: Internal mail plugin for Moodle 2, alpha version, testing required
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Juan,

I was very happy to see that you have realeased this email system for testing. I realy missed having an internal email system for the second semester last school year when I switched to Moodle 2. I have just downloaded it and placed it in my Moodle 2.3.1+ site and I am fixing to add it to my Moodle 2.2.4+ site.

I will be happy to let you know about any problems I have. Unfortunately, I do not have any students for another month so my testing for now will be limited. Even worse, I do not have any funds to help with. I teach at a small rural middle school and money is in extremely short supply. So short that most of my equipment is over 8 years old!

Anyway...first note...you need some instructions in the README.txt file on where to place this module in Moodle and what the folder should be named. Took me a while to figure out that it belongs in  mymoodlefolder/blocks/jmail.

More later after I've played for a while,

AL

Walking on the snow towards Lago Nero...
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

HI Juan,
what a nice feature! Unfortunately I've no real place where testing it with real data but I'll try to find out spare time to look at the code.

Right now, reading the README.txt (tip: rename it as README.md) I was curious the way you're sending copies to the external user's email - see http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=207034 for the reason of such a insane curiosity wink - : a quick look at the code (just browsing it with GitHub: I'll install it some time in the next days) helps me in finding block_jmail_mailbox::send_copy() where I've found a really small issue in returning $mailresult because of it will always report possibile issues about the delivery to the last recipient... IMHO better to return true, dropping any possible info about the overall delivery successfulness.

Someone could also argue that user mail should be delivered through the Moodle messaging system... but your README is clear enough here: "Receive copy of your messages to your profile external email account".

HTH,
Matteo

Picture of Juan Leyva

Just a quick note about the status of the plugin:

I've fixed a lot of small bugs that prevents the plugin works correctly in IE 7
I've translated the plugin to spanish

The plugin is now beta and has been submited to the Moodle plugins database

Regards

Picture of AL Rachels

Juan,

Sounds great. I have played with it a little, me and one student account, in Moodle 2.3.1+ and everything seems to work. The only problem I have had so far is that it sometimes takes a second click on a persons TO button to it to fill in the TO box of new mail.

I will get the beta version and replace the alpha version as soon as I can in a couple of days after I get back from doing a sleep study tonight.

I am really looking forward to trying it with students starting August 20 as it seems very similar to what I was using in Moodle 1.9.

AL

Picture of Juan Leyva

Hi AL,

what browser (and version) are you using?

Regards

Picture of AL Rachels

Juan,

I just installed the Jmail beta version from Moodle plugins database. I am using FireFox 14.0.1 and Google Chrome 20.0.1132.57 on Windows 7. The only thing that does not seem to work so far is while reading an email, the First, Previous, Next, and Last buttons remain grayed out and do not work and the email number remains stuck on 1. Everything else seems to work okay.

I also have FireFox 14.0.1 on my Samsung Galxay 4G phone so I decided to try it out and it tries to work there. When trying to send an email, the HTML text area tools do not show up even though it is set for that. It will let me compose an email but both Send and Save do not work. It will let me switch from Inbox, to Draft, to Sent and will also let me switch mailboxes. It will let me read emails and if I hit Reply it will let me edit/add text but Send and Save buttons fail to work. When composing an email, the X button (Close) will not work either.

Looking forward to using Jmail when school starts,

AL

Picture of Juan Leyva

Hi AL,

please, check:

http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Block_jmail#FAQ

The issue in your Galaxy is because the tinymce editor does not work there so I can't read the text inside the textfield, I think that I can fix that easily in a following version.

Since I don't have spare time we have to wait until we have some additional funding

Regards

Picture of Matt Carrao

Love the Block.  I am testing in 2.3.1.  I turned on the Global Inbox option but do not see all the users listed on the right.  (I do see participants and Teacher options)  What am I missing?

Picture of Juan Leyva

Hi Matt,

the global inbox option only works if you add the plugin in the frontpage, inside a course you will be able only to see the course participants

Regards

Picture of Barry Richards

Hi Juan,

I appreciate this plugin is at alpha stage, that's ok. Unfortunately, I have a fatal error with it. Here's what happened:

I uploaded the jmail folder to 'blocks' in my Moodle 2.2.1 test site, when to 'Notifications', ran the upgrade. Then I added the block to the page I was on, so far so good.

Then I went to the  home page and added the block here (an existing 1.9 site I look after likes the old email block to be on it's home page). Unfortunately, at this point the entire site broke down, the only thing that would render on any logged in page (logged out pages were unaffected) was this warning:

"You are trying to use an invalid course ID: ({$a})"

The only way to fix this error was to delete the 'jmail' folder from 'blocks'.

I've just uninstalled the jmail block, then re-installed and repeated the steps. The block gets added to course pages correctly. But if I add it to the home page I get the same error. Do you know why this is happening?

It would be great to use your plugin, and I have sites that definitely would love to make use of it. I appreciate this is an alpha release, so hopefully you can fix this issue.

Kind regards

Barry

Picture of Juan Leyva

Hi Barry,

did you download the plugin from http://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=block_jmail?

Can you go to Admin - Server - Debugging, select Developers in the firs combobox and check Display errors

I need you to add again the plugin in the homepage and copy and paste here again the error

Regards

Picture of Juan Leyva

Hi again,

I think there is a bug, can you try to replace the contents of your installation block_jmail_mailbox.class.php  file with this new one?

https://raw.github.com/jleyva/moodle-block_jmail/master/block_jmail_mailbox.class.php

If it still not works, please, enable debugging for look for the error

Hi Juan,

Thanks for the super fast response smile

I turned on debugging, then replaced the php file with the one from github.

No error message this time smile I believe you've fixed the issue, it seems to be working fine, no more fatal site crashing errors smile

Many thanks for the super fast fix.

BTW My colleague is very impressed with the block, she says it's better than the old email block from Moodle 1.9.

Many thanks

Barry

Juan,

My colleague was wondering if you were going to add a frontpage link that would allow the user to access all their mailboxes and be able to send emails, rather than just displaying the user's unread emails?

Thanks

Barry

Picture of Juan Leyva

Hi Barry,

can you clarify your question?

Currently, if you enable the global inbox in the block global settings and add the block in the frontpage you will be able to view a link to the global inbox

Regards

Hi Juan,

That link is good, but my colleague doesn't want to turn on the global address access, as she doesn't want users to be able to do 'to all user' emails. It's something our institution has problems with in the past and now restricts easy access to 'all staff'/'all student' email sending.

What she'd like is the 'My mailboxes' dropdown menu, like you have in the screenshot below, to be available on the front page and in 'My courses'.

Thanks

Barry

Screenshot showing 'My mailboxes' menu

Picture of Tazo DR

Hi Juan, I am using Moodles 2.0.2 and I love your plugin, but the send button doesn't send. Is there a way to get it to work? Everything else is there, and I have global messaging checked. Dr.Tazo

Professor Vernellia Randall
Jmail - Missing Students, Missing Roles

I have just uploaded jmail. I have a couple of issues. I have a student enrolled in two different courses and is teaching assistant for a third. She is only showing up as a student in one of the courses. Second I have several roles and teaching assistant role and visiting faculty role is not showing up.  Short version, not everyone associated with a class is showing up in the jmail list for the class. 

Picture of Juan Leyva
Re: Jmail - Missing Students, Missing Roles

Hi,

you have to edit the roles and assign the same capabilities that the student role has for the block

Regards

I have edited the roles and assigned capabilities. MOst of the students inclass are showing in the list. But this one student is not. Another student was not showing up in a different class and then for no apparent reason... they started being listed.

Here is the assignment block

Capt. Moodle
Re: How do jMail and quickmail compare
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Juan - I am curious if we might do a quick comparison between jmail and quickmail - http://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=block_quickmail - which is maintained by the good folks at LSU. Whenever there are two blocks that provide somewhat similar functionality, I like to encourage that we compare and contrast them so that users can determine which solution may be best for them. Such discussions help make clear the advantages of disadvantages of both solutions. Peace - Anthony 

Picture of Juan Leyva
Re: How do jMail and quickmail compare

Hi Anthony,

I haven't tried Quickmail but it seems that originally was oriented for bulk messaging with attachments, this plugin has been designed for actual internal messaging from scratch using an AJAX - style aproach like modern mail tools

Regards

Major Issue - No way to know who mail was sent to

I am testing this for use next semester and the problem is that I cannot  tell who I sent an email to -- the boxes only have "From". I need both "FROM" and "TO". Is this a change that can be implemented in the next couple of weeks.

Picture of Juan Leyva
Re: Major Issue - No way to know who mail was sent to

Hi Vernellia,

unfortunatelly we depend on funding for adding new features like the one you mentioned.

In any case, if someone (programmer) creates a path for changing this I can integrate it in the code

Regards

Re: Major Issue - No way to know who mail was sent to

Juan, that is completely understandable. Unfortunately, without a "to" field Jmail is unusable for me I send a lot of mail to students. knowing that the mail was sent from me is not helpful. I will go back to using the messaging system. But I will keep key on Jmail because I like it better in many ways,

Can you provide more detailed instruction on how to apply labels to messaGES?

Picture of Juan Leyva

The only way to apply labels to messages is message by message using the menu option "Move" and selecting a label

There is not automatic filter for moving messages to labels

Picture of David Avnon

Hello!

First of all, this is a very nice and usefull tool.

I would like implement it as a tool that will enable students contact the site manager for all sorts of logistic issues.

As I was testing it I found out the following bugs:

1. if you put the block on global mail box mode and define it to appear in all the moodle site screens (go to: configuring jmail block -> page context -> display throughout the entire site), afterward, when moving to one of the courses screens, wer'e getting an error message (see images below...)

2. the "move" feature (for instance, if you want to move an object back from the trash folder to the inbox folder) won't work!

changing the settings...

error message

Tested on Google Chrome and FF.

Please help.

Thanks in advnce,

Dave

Picture of Jason O'Brien

This is a very cool plugin, but I've found a bug I think.

I'm getting SQL errors on MSSQL Server 2008 while loading the block on the course pages.  It's trying to ORDER BY a field not in a GROUP BY statement on the COUNT query.  I'm guessing this is legal in MySQL - not sure about Postgres/Oracle/etc.

I modified the code to create a separate sql statement for counting in block_jmail_mailbox.class.php and dropped the ORDER BY clause entirely because it's does nothing for the count query anyways.  There might be some other issues with the Ajax pages that might be trickier to diagnose.

If it's possible to include testing on MSSQL Server for any future releases that would be much appreciated.

Picture of Kimber Warden

Is this still in alpha? The only version I can find is 2011122502. Is there one more recent? My teachers would be SO excited to have an internal email system!

Picture of Juan Leyva

Not alpha, but I think beta for Moodle 2.3

If you are using 2.1 or 2.2 it should work fine, the last version is here:

http://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=block_jmail

Regards

Picture of Juan Leyva

I just released a new version for Moodle 2.3

http://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversion.php?id=1410

- Added support for Moodle 2.3 drag and drop

- Fixed some layout small bugs

- Added the column "To" in the sent folder mail list view

Picture of Kees Koopman

Hai Juan,

Thanks a lot, i downloaded your new version for Moodle 2.3.
We use Moodle 2.3.2.

When i send a message to a student the student sees in his mailbox there is a mail waiting, but when he clicks on that mail 'nothing' happend (only the rorating wheel for waiting).

What does he, did i or did jmail wrong?

Kees Koopman.

Picture of Juan Leyva

Hi,

Do you have noodle debugging enabled? It may fail because it breaks some Ajax calls

Picture of Kimber Warden

So far, it seems to work in Firefox, but not in IE7. When a student attempts to reply to or compose a new e-mail, the new e-mail opens but stops loading at some point before the TinyMCE editor loads. The spinning wheel just keeps spinning. Is there any way to fix this? Unfortunately, our school district is stuck with IE7, because most of the computers are old.

Picture of Juan Leyva

Hi Kimber,

it should work in IE7, please, download the last version, install it in your Moodle and use the Administration setting "Purge all caches" , then delete your local cache and try again.

https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversion.php?id=1437

Regards

Picture of Javier Hernández

Buenas,

A mi me pasa lo mismo que al usuario anterior Kimber Warden, me carga bien el jmail, pero a la hora de enviar un correo se me queda el circulo dando vueltas...y no me deja enviar nada. 

He probado la versión Alpha que tienes colgada pero sigue igual.

Tengo un Moodle 2.1, y necesito arreglar este fallo.

¿Que puedo hacer?

Picture of Edgardo Gustavo Fernández

Hi, Juan

I heving problems with jmail in moodle2.3.2

I recive de message "Data error" where the list of mail may apear.

thanks,

Edgardo

Picture of Juan Leyva
Hi Edgardo, this bug was fixed in the last release, please, download the last version, install it in your Moodle and use the Administration setting "Purge all caches" , then delete your local cache and try again. Regards

Picture of Edgardo Gustavo Fernández

Hi Juan,

I do what you said. I´m using jmail version 1.3 and moodle 2.3.2+, I "Purge all caches", and delete my local cache and the problem remain.

Picture of Ricardo Díaz

Moodle 2.3.2 / DB: PostgreSQL 9.2.1 / Block: Jmail 1.3 descargado de github

Internet explorer v8.0.6001.18702 y firefox v16.0.2

Hola Juan, a mí tambien me pasa lo mismo, he borrado la caché y sigue pasando.
En modo debug:development me aparecen vaios errores. El conocido "data error" que ha reportado Edgardo, que a mí me da el warning:  "Strict Standards: Creating default object from empty value in .../moodle/blocks/jmail/block_jmail_mailbox.class.php on line 1224". (corrigiendo el warning sigue dando data error).

Y otro que me aparece cuando intento acceder a un curso donde el usuario ha recibido algún correo (adjunto imagen).

¿Jmail es compatible con Postgresql?
(Por cierto, el link para descargar la última versión de Jmail por moodle.org (plugins 2.3) descarga la versión 1.1? o la 1.3? según el archivo version.php. Aparece:

$plugin->version  = 2011122504;
$plugin->release = 1.1; --> No debería ser la 1.3 ?¿?¿?¿
El resto del código es de la 1.3 ?¿?¿

Picture of Ricardo Díaz

Siguen dando los mismos errores para la versión 1.4 sad

Picture of Juan Leyva

Hola Ricardo,

puedes sustituir esto:

$messagesdata[0]=$DB->count_records_sql("SELECT COUNT('x')".$sql,$params);

por esto

list($sql, $order) = explode("ORDER BY", $sql);

$messagesdata[0]=$DB->count_records_sql("SELECT COUNT('x')".$sql,$params);

En el fichero block_jmail_mailbox.class.php

Y probar a ver si te funciona?

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Ricardo Díaz

Hola Juan,

He aplicado el parche y funciona smile muchas gracias por tu tiempo.

Picture of Juan Leyva

Hi,

I just uploaded a new version that fixes some problems detected in ie7, thanks to Kimber for reporting it

Here you have the download link:

https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversion.php?id=1502

Regards

Picture of Tazo DR

Hi, I am using Moodles 2. I am not quite sure if your plugin is designed for this version. I installed it OK. When I try to send a Global Message, it has the users on the side etc, everything else looks to be there, but sending (with the names selected underneath the 'to' etc, but the send does not send. It doesn't send. Maybe it is simple to fix, or perhaps it doesn't work with v 2.0.2 ? Thank you for any help, Dr.Tazo

Picture of Jan Baan

Hi Juan, I'm using Moodle 2.2 (Build: 20111205) and it works fine, but.. when I send an email, it doesn't automatticaly goes to the "Sent folder" Even so for the drafts and the bin folder Am I missing something?

Picture of marilene menezes de figueiredo

Hello,
I'm installing jmail on my moodle test and it seemed everything ok. But, when I chose include in a course, this was open blank page. What is wrong?
Thank You

Mila

I Fixed it upgrade php version and moodle too. thank you. 

Picture of Tom Esson

First off, thanks so much for this!  Our faculty have been begging for a course-based email system for Moodle, and this seems to fit the bill perfectly.

One issue I've encountered in testing relates to Labels.  We can create a label no problem, and then we can move a message to the label.  The problem is when we click on the label name, nothing happens, we stay on the message list for the inbox.   If I click on draft, sent mail, or Bin, it's the same thing, the messages in those "folders" don't display.   If I search for the messages individually, I can find them, but if I click on Inbox again, it does not update the display.  I have to click "Check" to display the inbox again.

I've tried this with IE, FF and Chrome and get the same behaviour with all browsers. 

Any ideas?

Tom Esson
LMS Administrator
Okanagan College

Picture of Alberto García Gómez

Hola Juan, ante todo agradecerte este bloque de moodle que nos salva la vida a los que necesitamos una aplicación de correo avanzada en moodle.

El problema es que he estado intentando utilizar jmail en moodle 2.3.3 pero no sé si no lo estoy haciendo bien o que algo falla, pero sólo puedo entrar en el buzón de correo si activo la "bandeja de correo global".

Cuando entro en la configuración de jmail solo me sale la opción de activar o desactivar la bandeja de correo global:

Si no activo esta opción, al crear el bloque, me sale unicamente "No hay mensajes nuevos" y no puedo entrar al interfaz de jmail:

Cuando la activo, ya me aparece "Ver bandeja de correo global" que al pinchar en ella me permite acceder a jmail:

Y el interfaz que me aparece sale sin el botón de seleccionar "mailboxes". No sé si hay que crearlos en otro sitio o qué puedo hacer.

Un saludo y de nuevo muchas gracias.

Picture of Ricardo Díaz

Hola Alberto, debes crear el bloque dentro del curso. Lo has creado en el "Front page" y por eso te sucede esto.

Picture of Juan Leyva

Hi

I just uploaded a new version of the plugin that fixes a couple of bugs: https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=block_jmail

Notice that jmail doesn't work in Moodle 2.0, I updated all the references in the plugin's download page

I'm not going to spent time working in a version for Moodle 2.0 (an unsupported Moodle version) , if you are interested in a Moodle 2.0 compatible version and you have funding, please contact me using the Moodle internal messaging system

Regards

Picture of Alberto García Gómez

Gracias Ricardo, sabía que estaba haciendo algo mal smile

Por otro lado he descargado la nueva versión (1.4) y funciona todo correctamente salvo la copia del mensaje que se envía al correo electrónico que me muestra esto:

Esto es una copia de un mensaje de correo que has recibido en una de tus
bandejas de correo.<br /> Puedes ver el mensaje al completo aquí: 4Mensaje de prueba

También me vendría muy bien poder activar por defecto el envío de una copia al correo personal de los alumnos, ¿hay alguna parte del código donde se pueda modificar este valor?

Muchas gracias por todo.

Picture of Ricardo Díaz

Para habilitar por defecto el envío de una copia al correo personal de los alumnos he hecho estas modificaciones en el código. Lo suyo seria integrar jmail con el sistema de mensajeria de Moodle2.

(--) Indica borrar la línea y (++) añadir la línea smile

File: /moodle/blocks/jmail/block_jmail_mailbox.class.php

Line 585
Function:    private function load_user_preferences($userid) {
        $preferences = new stdClass;
--        $preferences->receivecopies = false;
++        $preferences->receivecopies = true;

if ($prefs = $DB->get_records('block_jmail_preferences', array('userid' => $userid, 'courseid' => $this->course->id))) {
            foreach ($prefs as $pref) {

Line 498
Function:    private function send_copy($message) {
            foreach ($message->destinataries as $type => $destinataries) {
                foreach ($destinataries as $dest) {
                    $userprefs = $this->load_user_preferences($dest->userid);
--                    if ($userprefs->receivecopies and $userto = $DB->get_record('user', array('id' => $dest->userid))) {
++                    if ($userprefs->receivecopies!='0' and $userto = $DB->get_record('user', array('id' => $dest->userid))) {
                        $bodytext = get_string('emailcopyheader', 'block_jmail', $url);
                        $bodytext .= format_text_email($message->body, FORMAT_HTML);

Picture of April Cookson

Thank you for creating an email tool!  It was very much needed in Moodle 2.

We are on Moodle ver. 2.2.5 and have noticed a few issues so far.  If you have any suggestions, we would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Using Mozilla Firefox browser, ver 16.0.2 or IE 9

1.  Nothing seems to happen when I click on a folder - 'Sent,' 'Bin,' etc.  It just appears to stay on the Inbox.  So, I can move messages, but then I can't access the folder they were moved to.2.  Cannot move messages from myself.  For example, I might want to save all messages sent to a particular student to a folder.3.  Sometimes it will lock up when we try to respond to two students in a row.

Picture of Juan Leyva

Just a quick comment:

This plugin is not going to work in Moodle 2.4 due to technical changes in the main Moodle's javascript library:

See http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-34741 for more technical information

If you are interested in having the plugin available for 2.4 and you have funding, please contact me using the forum or a private message.

If you have programming skills and you want to contribute, please fork the github repository and make the plugin working in 2.4 smile

Picture of Will Hagerty

Is the latest release 1.4 (2011122505) compatible with moodle 2.3.3+.  If not, I won't bother listing my issues, but if it is compatible, I have some major questions.

Picture of Will Hagerty

solved: I was adding the block to the frontpage and not the individual course. 

Picture of Will Hagerty
Re: jmail Subscription function code

For a couple reasons I wish to change the message sent to users (who have chosen the subscription option) when jmails are sent to them.  First, the messages include "<br/>" and missing links to the moddle site.  I need to fix these as well as conceal the actual message summary.  I have searched through the entire jmail folder searching for code to be changed, but I cannot see it.  Let me know if there is a way to access the code or if there could be some built in options for admins to dictate what the messages to subscribed user will say. Thanks in advance.  

Picture of Juan Leyva
Re: jmail Subscription function code

You just need to edit the lang/en/block_jmail.php file or use the standard Moodle tools for translating the app from the Moodles Admin Menu

Regards

My Jmail is ok. Congratulations of this plugin, Juan.

At the end, the message says: mail sent!... but my recipients dont receive nothing. Any help? my moodle is 2.2.6 and my PHP 5.3 and MySQL 5.0.
I dont understand very well moodle...so....is something I made wrong?

Thank you.

Mila

Picture of Andrés Pérez-Nievas

Hello,

I am testing jmail before upgrading my site to Moodle 2.3 and was wondering how the plugin deal with email attachments. How are these attachments stored in the system? Is it possible for the administrator to delete/clear attachments in order to free up some disk/database space. I've experience issues with the old email-list plugin with attachments not being deleted from disk.

Thanks.

Andrés

Picture of Juan Leyva

Files are stored in Moodle file system, the only way to delete files is manipulating directly the database and moodledata

Picture of Tamara P

Hola Juan.

Me he descargado la última versión de jmail pero tengo problemas con la opción de borrar mensajes. Sólo funciona mientras estoy en la Bandeja de entrada, sin embargo intento borrar mensajes en la Bandeja de enviados o en la Papelera y no desaparecen.

He probado con Internet Explorer y Google Chrome.

Tengo activados los mensajes de depuración pero tampoco salta ningún error.

Versión de Moodle: 2.2.3

Gracias por adelantado. 

Picture of antonio lópez

Hola Tamara!!

Tengo el mismo problema con los mensajes, solo puedo borrar los de la bandeja de entrada..

¿Lograste solucionar el problema? si es así agradecería tu ayuda...

gracias de antemano

Picture of Tamara P

Hola Antonio.

Todavía no hemos encontrado solución. Si encontramos algo, lo pongo por aquí.

Un saludo.

Issues deleting emails

Hi,

We are having problems deleting emails from inbox. Sometimes email is not deleted after confirming the operation. Cannot evan mark that email as read. Any ideas ?

Using moodle 2.3.3

Thanks,

Andres

Picture of Juan Leyva
Re: Issues deleting emails

Which browser and version are you using, do you see any javascript errors?

Re: Issues deleting emails

Hello Juan,

just found out the issue. If an email is sent and the same recipient is written in the "To" and "Bcc" fields, this person is not able to mark this email as read or even delete it. I had to remove manually the "bcc" entries in the mdl_jmail_sent table to solve the problem.

Is not a common scenario but someone accidentally set the same recipients in both fields. I didn´t check it but Ii assume that same thing happens with the "cc" field.

Best regards,

Andrés 

Picture of diego garcia

Buenos dias Juan,

Estamos migrando a moodle 2.4 y nos da este error jmail,

"Detectado un error de codificación, debe ser corregido por un programador: PAGE->yui2_lib() is not available any more, use YUI 2in3 instead, see MDL-34741 for more information."

No consigo depurarlo, no se´si tú podrías indicarme como podría hacerlo.

Muchas gracias y un saludo.

Picture of Juan Leyva

Hola, 

hay un mensaje del 29 de Noviembre en este hilo dónde ya indicaba que el plugin no iba a funcionar para 2.4 debido a cambios introducidos en el core de Moodle relacionados con la librería YUI

Ahora mismo dado que este plugin se mantiene gracias a financiación y clientes que lo usan no hay previsto actualizarlo a 2.4, si tenéis financiación o conocéis alguien interesado enviadme un mensaje privado, cálculo que con unas 4 horas de trabajo estaría solventado.

Saludos

Picture of Dave Willmore

Juan, 

Thank you for working on this. Our faculty have pressured us to stay on 1.9 because this functionality was not available in 2, so if this works you will be my personal hero and a hero to SCC.

Does jmail allow for a backup of the email sent and recieved?   Is it part of the course backup process?

Picture of Erifili Kalaitzoglou
Απάντηση: Internal mail plugin for Moodle 2, alpha version, testing required

Hi, Juan

We have installed jmail in Moodle 2.4. It seems to work fine.

We only have one issue. When an email is sent to a user in his/her jmail block it continues to display "There are no new messages" instead the number of new emails.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Erifili

Picture of Kimber Warden

I've installed the latest version for Moodle 2.2 and love this block! It works great when it's in a course, but when I add it to my front page and then click "View global inbox" I get this error:

Can not find data record in database table block_instances.

Picture of Erifili Kalaitzoglou
Απάντηση: Re: Internal mail plugin for Moodle 2, alpha version, testing required

Check in block settings the select value on field Page Context. I got the same error when i chose Display throughout the entire site.

Emperor Joshua Norton I, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico.
Issue with attachments

We're using Moodle 2.3.2 and version 1.0 of JMail (though I've also tried with 1.5).

We seem to be unable to attach files to messages. When we create a new message, the attachment area stays blank and the circle continues to spin as though it is waiting for something to load.

We are expecting JMail to be an integral part of our courses, so it is important that we get this fixed.

Emperor Joshua Norton I, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico.
Re: Issue with attachments

Bump. Anyone else encounter this issue?

Picture of AL Rachels
Re: Issue with attachments

Hi Richard,

I am currently using Jmail version 2011122507 release 1.5 in Moodle 2.3 and Moodle 2.5 and I am able to attach files with no problems. I am even able to create a PoodLL video in the add file area and send the video as an attachment.

Every time I have ever experienced the never ending spin you mentioned, I have had to update Java. Maybe that will work for you too.

Hope this helps,

AL

Picture of Kimber Warden

Has anybody installed this plug-in in the last couple of weeks? I notice that git hub was updated 16 days ago, and I've installed it in a new 2.5 installation. When I tried to add the block to a course, I got an Error Reading From Database. 

With debugging turned on, I get:

Error reading from database
Debug info: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '*' at line 1
SELECT 2 FROM mdl_block_instances WHERE blockname = ? AND parentcontextid = ? ORDER BY *
[array (
0 => 'jmail',
1 => '701',
)]
Error code: dmlreadexception
Stack trace:
line 423 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: dml_read_exception thrown
line 1005 of /lib/dml/mysqli_native_moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->query_end()
line 1226 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: call to mysqli_native_moodle_database->get_records_sql()
line 1177 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->get_records_select()
line 89 of /blocks/jmail/block_jmail_mailbox.class.php: call to moodle_database->get_records()
line 98 of /blocks/jmail/block_jmail.php: call to block_jmail_mailbox->__construct()
line 764 of /blocks/moodleblock.class.php: call to block_jmail->get_content()
line 238 of /blocks/moodleblock.class.php: call to block_list->formatted_contents()
line 951 of /lib/blocklib.php: call to block_base->get_content_for_output()
line 1003 of /lib/blocklib.php: call to block_manager->create_block_contents()
line 353 of /lib/blocklib.php: call to block_manager->ensure_content_created()
line 7 of /theme/intro_to_business/layout/general.php: call to block_manager->region_has_content()
line 847 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to include()
line 777 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to core_renderer->render_page_layout()
line 243 of /course/view.php: call to core_renderer->header()

Anyone else experiencing this?

Picture of AL Rachels

Hi Kimber,

I tried to use a copy (master) from git and it caused a database error. It would not let me get to the front page of my Moodle where jmail was installed. I replaced it with the version available from the Moodle Plugins directory for Moodle 2.4 and it works great.

HTH,

AL

Picture of Kimber Warden

Yes! That works, thanks!

Next question: Can jmail receive e-mails sent from outside of Moodle? Say, from a gmail account?

Picture of AL Rachels

Hi Kimber,

Glad you got it working. So far as I know, at this time, Jmail is a mail system internal to Moodle only.

AL

Picture of Steve Haag

I have also installed this with "Cannot read from Database" error.

I just want to remove it, and get back up and running, is that possible???

Running Moodle 2.5.0

Table "block_dictionary" does not exist
Debug info: 
Error code: ddltablenotexist
Stack trace:
  • line 554 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: dml_exception thrown
  • line 1347 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->where_clause()
  • line 34 of /filter/dictionary/filter.php: call to moodle_database->get_record()
  • line 167 of /lib/filterlib.php: call to filter_dictionary->filter()
  • line 205 of /lib/filterlib.php: call to filter_manager->apply_filter_chain()
  • line 337 of /lib/filterlib.php: call to filter_manager->filter_text()
  • line 1181 of /lib/weblib.php: call to performance_measuring_filter_manager->filter_text()
  • line 145 of /admin/settings/appearance.php: call to format_text()
  • line 6389 of /lib/adminlib.php: call to require()
  • line 3332 of /lib/navigationlib.php: call to admin_get_root()
  • line 3237 of /lib/navigationlib.php: call to settings_navigation->load_administration_settings()
  • line 718 of /lib/pagelib.php: call to settings_navigation->initialise()
  • line 734 of /lib/pagelib.php: call to moodle_page->magic_get_settingsnav()
  • line 133 of /blocks/settings/block_settings.php: call to moodle_page->__get()
  • line 292 of /blocks/moodleblock.class.php: call to block_settings->get_content()
  • line 238 of /blocks/moodleblock.class.php: call to block_base->formatted_contents()
  • line 951 of /lib/blocklib.php: call to block_base->get_content_for_output()
  • line 1003 of /lib/blocklib.php: call to block_manager->create_block_contents()
  • line 353 of /lib/blocklib.php: call to block_manager->ensure_content_created()
  • line 6 of /theme/arialist/layout/general.php: call to block_manager->region_has_content()
  • line 847 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to include()
  • line 777 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to core_renderer->render_page_layout()
  • line 153 of /my/index.php: call to core_renderer->header()

Thanks, Steve

Picture of Juan Leyva

This error is fixed in the github version, sorry but trying to fix a bug I introduced a regression

Can you check if is working fine for you the github version?

Regards

Picture of AL Rachels

Hi Juan,

I have been real busy the past couple of days and just now got the chance to try the latest github Windows zip file version. Seems to be working okay so far. I will let you know if I have any problems.

I hate to admit I have not noticed before now, probably due to having it installed, working and just upgrading the past year or two, but when did you add the Approve mode? Who gets to approve? Is there any way to delete an email if you do NOT Approve it?

Thanks,

AL

Picture of narciso guillen

Hola Juan

He instalado JMail (v1.5) en una instancia Moodle (2.2.5). No he tenido ningún problema, pero los usuarios me indican que ocasionalmente los botones de acción se quedan inoperativos. He vuelto a instalar jmail en una instancia local de moodle (también 2.2.5) y efectivamente de forma ocasional los botones pierden funcionalidad. En concreto, voy a leer el correo, pulso responder, preparo el texto y al pulsar ‘enviar’ se queda sin hacer nada.

He utilizado FireFox (17.0), pero entre los usuarios estarán accediendo con otros navegadores.

Muchas gracias por tu dedicación.

Picture of April Cookson

Hello,

We have a message that seems to be stuck in Jmail.  It will not delete from the Inbox.  You can click Delete, but then it reappears in bold font like a new message.

Is there any way to delete the message from the code?

Any help is appreciated!

Picture of AL Rachels

Hi April,

I had the same thing happen to me last spring. It was caused by a student sending me a jmail with me listed in both the To: and the CC: addressee areas. If the problem email is NOT showing anything in the CC: addressee area, then they probably used the same name in the TO: and BCC: areas. The following steps will fix it for either condition but does require direct access to the database. I use phpMyAdmin.

1. Check the email and make note of who it is from, the subject, and the body contents.
  2. Start phpMyAdmin.
  3. Go to the mdl_user table.
  4. Click the  Search tab.
  5. Enter the users first and last names in the firstname and lastname value boxes.
  6. Click the Go button.
  7. In the results list make note of the id number for that user.
  8. Go to the mdl_block_jmail table then click the Search tab.
  9. Put the user id number in the sender value box.
  10. Click the Go button.
  11. In the results list, look for the email that matches the subject and body of the problem email.
  12. Make note of the id number.
  13. Go to the mdl_block_jmail_sent table.
  14. Click the  Search tab.
  15. Enter the id number in the messageid value box.
  16. Click the Go button.
  17. You SHOULD see two messages listed.
  18. Look in the type column.
  19. For the one with a type of cc and/or bcc, set deleted = 1 instead of 0.
  20. Go back to your Moodle jmail, reload the page and verify the problem email is no longer listed.

Hope you have access to phpMyAdmin and this works for you,

AL

Picture of Barbara Taylor

Is there a way to change the setting to have the message sent to an external email as the default and allow users to turn it off if they don't want to receive the messages outside of Moodle?  We are using 2.5

Thanks,

Barbara

Picture of April Cookson

Thank you very much, AL.  I believe this is also what happened in our case.  I will give your instructions a try.

Moodler

How to you move sent mail to the bin?

Picture of Kimber Warden

This was working for me, and now suddenly it doesn't. As far as I know, neither my Moodle nor the jmail versions have changed recently. I'm now getting the following error. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Warning: array_shift() expects parameter 1 to be array, object given in /var/www/skol/moodle25-skol/skonline.orvsd.org/moodle/blocks/jmail/block_jmail_mailbox.class.php on line 1211

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /var/www/skol/moodle25-skol/skonline.orvsd.org/moodle/blocks/jmail/block_jmail_mailbox.class.php on line 1214

Notice: Undefined index: in /var/www/skol/moodle25-skol/skonline.orvsd.org/moodle/lib/accesslib.php on line 7221

Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: PHP catchable fatal error

More information about this error

Debug info: Argument 2 passed to has_capability() must be an instance of context, null given, called in [dirroot]/blocks/jmail/block_jmail_mailbox.class.php on line 1216 and defined
Error code: codingerror
Stack trace:
  • line 406 of /lib/setuplib.php: coding_exception thrown
  • line 367 of /lib/accesslib.php: call to default_error_handler()
  • line 1216 of /blocks/jmail/block_jmail_mailbox.class.php: call to has_capability()
  • line 253 of /blocks/jmail/renderer.php: call to block_jmail_mailbox::get_my_mailboxes()
  • line 130 of /blocks/jmail/mailbox.php: call to block_jmail_renderer->load_ui()

Picture of Kimber Warden

Does anyone know how I can change the date format of the "Sent" field? Currently, the format for September 12, 2013 is 12/09/13, but in the U.S. that date means December 9, 2013.

I'm thinking there must be a change in the code somewhere that I can make, but I don't where to begin to look. Any ideas?

Kimber