Replace local users with mnet users

Re: Replace local users with mnet users

by Andrés Doria Corcho -
Number of replies: 0

Hello David!

I'm in charge of administering several moodle instances in a local university where I work. Right now, there are one moodle instance per academic program -actually, 29-, so I think there's a lot of work and the administration becomes tedious and I think it's impractical, because one user -admin, student or teacher- have to log in with different -even being the same username and password- credentials to different moodle instances.

So, I've read about MNet and I've came up with a idea which I describe next:

I think that implementing a central moodle -moodle A- that act as the main moodle where the main information is displayed and where all the users of the university will have their credentials stored. The idea is that this moodle A won't have any academic courses. A moodle B, moodle C and moodle D will correspond to one faculty respectively -for example, Health, Science and Engineering-. This ones are the moodles that will have the active academic courses and where the users will be enrolled in via MNet and SSO. The enrolment method to be used is the External Database to keep our students synchronized with their courses.

Would be any difficulty with this approach? I'd appreciate any help, suggestions or best practices recomendations.

Thanks very much in advance!