Why are my theme settings not being applied?

Why are my theme settings not being applied?

by Carol Booth -
Number of replies: 5

I did a test upgrade from Moodle 1.9 to 2.2 and found that I could customise the darkb theme to look just fine using the settings form kindly provided by the designer.  Very happy, so I did the upgrade. 

Imagine my sadness when I did the live upgrade and the settings form didn't change the background colour for me  (although it did accept my header logo). Both my test and live Moodles Moodle 2.2  on ubuntu 10.04.

Where should I start looking for the problem?

thanks! Carol

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Carol Booth

Re: Why are my theme settings not being applied?

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

This sound very much like a cache problem. You will need to Purge all caches by going to Settings > Site Administration > Development > Purge all caches. By clicking the link on this page you will find this will clear all the saved cache from your Moodle site, and after refreshing your browser screen you will see the changes made.

If you are planning on making more changes, using this themes settings page, then you need to be in Theme Designer Mode. To enable TDM go to Site Administration > Appearance > Themes > Theme settings, you will find the check-box for Theme Designer Mode about 2nd from the top of the page. Also on this page you can set your Custom Menu, if you have not already done so already.

Hope this helps?

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by John St -

I think Mary has it. But, just to be clear, you are going to the settings page, changing the color and saving but the changes do not appear?

In reply to John St

by Carol Booth -

Thanks Mary and John, that's right.  Changes don't appear when I go to settings page, change the colour and save.  Will have to wait a couple of days to try again because I'm working from home and bad weather has brought down the internet connection to our school where my moodle is hosted sad

I had thought theme designer mode was only for 'real' theme designing and not needed for changing settings.  Thanks for clarifying that.

carol

In reply to Carol Booth

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Carol,

Theme designer mode just prevents moodle caching the css and so forces the page to refresh the css everytime it reloads, so it's useful if you are making any number of changes, including using settings page. However, if you are only changing one or two things, then the purge all caches option that Mary also pointed out in her post is a useful alternative.

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Carol Booth -

Thank you all.  My theme is now adapted.

Carol