Hosting in China for 3000 students

Hosting in China for 3000 students

by Ryan Schopp -
Number of replies: 7

I am seeking advice to help our school system find a host for our moodle. We have about 3000 students and are located in the Dalian, China. I am unsure if we can host outside of China as the government may block access with such a large volume of users. Can anyonw recomend a host within China? Has anyone successfully hosted outside of China for users/teachers from within China?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ryan Schopp

Re: Hosting in China for 3000 students

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I'd check in with Pukunui - they are an official Moodle Partner and have an office in HK - they may be able to support you via servers hosted in China or HK - we're also doing some non-moodle related work in that part of the world too, drop me a line if you're interested in hearing more info.

I work for the Moodle Partner Catalyst IT.

In reply to Ryan Schopp

by Graham Setters -

Just wondering if you've followed up on those hosting options within China. I'm curious about this option as well. Have you considered hosting your servers locally at your school?

Are you with DMLIS by chance?

In reply to Graham Setters

by Ryan Schopp -

I have had a couple responses. I have not followed up to much yet as I don't know if the school will be willing to spend the money... We are currently hosting on our own server, but the school does not have any tech person to take care of it. I have no skills with Linux, so we have another staff member helping me with this part. The server can handle about 20 people right now and then it crashes. We are waiting for more RAM to be delivered! With the amount of staff turn over and no one specifically hired to Linux skills, the school should pay to have of this looked after. 1-2$ a student/year is not much to spend on something so helpful. What you think?

Here is the info I have foudn so far...

http://shinjiru.com/web_hosting/dedicated_server/offshore-dedicated-servers.php

You should get a dual quad core Xeon at USD249/mth. Setup fees USD50.00.

http://pukunui.com.au/docs/

*a web server with 25Gb of hard disk space
* 150Gb of monthly bandwidth
* Moodle installed and configured with your URL
* Remote nightly backups and regular upgrades
* 12 Months of help desk support provided to the site administrator @ 2.5 hours per month
* Free theming of the the site with your corporate colours etc (Standard theme)
* Annual fee of $4095 Inc GST (note currency is AUD)

In reply to Ryan Schopp

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

there's quite a big difference in the service provided on those 2 options.

1 simply provides a server/hosting/location for someone (you?) to install and support Moodle.

the other provides an Application - installed/maintained/upgraded/serviced/specific targeted backups/help desk support for the application etc etc.

also Pukuni's costs there will likely be for hosting on their AU infrastructure - if you have any specific requirements (like needing hosting a bit closer to home in HK or China) - those costs might be slightly different - you're best to drop them a line to find out.

In reply to Dan Marsden

回應: Re: Hosting in China for 3000 students

by kei yai chiu -

U can host the server in hk for the cost saving from the china local company. More then u need the stable connection n unblock some website for education in china. Ther is no doubt to use the VPN service. Maybe Goip company can help u 

Www.goipAsia.com