How to make Moodle more attractive to Students?

I have added color and font sizes to the assignment titles.

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -
Number of replies: 0

Switch on HTML, place some CSS Code into the template and add some code into the assignment titles and you have control of font size and color.

Simplified CSS Code:

. =======================================

<style type="text/css">
.vt1, .vt2, .qz1, .qz2,  .rd1, .rd2, .tu1, .tu2, .bu1, .bu2,
          {
                    font-size: 1.2em;
                    font-weight:bold;
                    font-family: sans-serif, Helvetica, Georgia;
                    visibility: visible;
                   font-variant:small-caps;
         }
.vt2, .qz2, .rd2, .tu2, .bu2,
          {
           font-size: .75em;
          }

.vt1, .vt2, .qz1, .qz2  { color: #6e0a8a; }   /*VT */
         .bu1, .bu2, .th1, .th2  { color: #0a1d8a; } /*BU*/
          .rd1, .rd2, .tu1, .tu2  { color: #8a0a3f; }/* RD*/

</style>

. ===================================

Typical Assignment title:

. ------------------------------------------------

22) <span class="hw1">Mon Home Work: 1.3 </span>

. ------------------------------------------------

Homework is one color, in-class activity is another.  Exams and Announcements are still other colors.  The best part is that other users of Moodle are not forced to use any of this.  The control is all in the title of the assignment.

There was some conflict with Moodle that I had to discover such as needing at least one character before the SPAN tag which allows the HIDE option to work when you do not want something to show without deleting it.

The HTML feature is carried to the Grading where entries maintain the color and font size. Having HTML enabled in Moodle allows categories to be color and size controlled in other menus throughout Moodle making these items easier to read.  Students also see the color coding in the Upcoming Events list.

One significant benefit is that I can now hide specific weeks that are not important at the moment. In the past, you could only either show all or show only one week. 

I placed a recommendation in Moodle Tracker to set the most recent week to the top of the list while weeks passed flip to the bottom and scroll up as the year continues.  This way the active weeks are most easily seen without significant scrolling.  Maybe someday, this will be implemented:  [Moodle] (MDL-40599) Roll-a-dex style list for assignments.

It is really not all that difficult to set up and maintain.  Please ask if you would like more explanation.

I hope this helps.....

Attachment Moodle Menus.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)