Assignment changes for 2.3

Assignment changes for 2.3

by Damyon Wiese -
Number of replies: 67

Hi All,

NetSpot has received a number of feature requests for the assignment module in Moodle and in order to make these changes and contribute them back to Moodle core, we have agreed to perform the redevelopment work Martin has planned for the assignment module in Moodle 2.3.

The main part of the work is developing a new assignment module (mod_assign) that combines all of the functionality of the previous 4 assignment subtypes. There will be an upgrade path from the old assignment module to the new one and the old one will not be removed for at least one major moodle release (but will be disabled so that new assignments use the new module).

There are a number of other features we will be working on once the core redevelopment is complete and the specifications are being developed here:

http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Assignment

We welcome your feedback either in this forum or on the wiki page linked above.

Regards, Damyon Wiese

Average of ratings:Useful (5)
In reply to Damyon Wiese

Re: Assignment changes for 2.3

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Assorted comments.

1. Re: the presets thing. No other bit of UI in Moodle works that way. The requirement you are trying to implement is a good one, but I think you need to find a better way to do it.

2. Well, with the new wiki in 2.0 (and new workshop), the module went on being called wiki, and successful upgraded from previous versions. Why not keep the name mod_assignment in the same way?

(On the other hand, forumng installs along-side forum. It does not upgrade old instances during install, instead, there is an option that you can use later to convert any forum to a forumng.) If you have to go for another name, I would choose mod_assign, or mod_assignmentng (like forumng). You are not allowed digits like 2 in internal plugin names.

It will be easier to comment more once you have more of the proposed design.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Damyon Wiese -

Hi Tim

Thanks for the comments,

1. our reasoning for the presets thing is that we want to ease the transition for people who are used to the old assignment type. I think it provides a good balance between the requirements of advanced users and beginners but I am keen to hear some more opinions on this (Martin?).

2. this is how it was suggested by Martin and some of the reasons I see for this are:

* you won't have people trying to install subtypes into the new assignment module (because it has a different name)

* it gives maintainers of the existing assignment subtypes a window to upgrade their plugins

* it gives a longer period to test the upgrade code and iron out any wrinkles

Regards, Damyon

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Thanks Damyon,

Keen to see the progress being made on these issues as I have also had requests for several of them - the primary ones for us being the receipts for assignments submitted and TurnItIn (plagiarism) integration although i think that knowing that issues such as blind marking etc. are also being developed as part of a single module will also prove popular with the teaching staff here.

If I can do anything to help with the work (testing etc.) then please let me know.

Richard

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Vicki Weavers -

For us, the improved ability to deal with large cohorts of students submitting assignments is very interesting. Being able to download all submissions in one go and upload comments and grades via a speadsheet would improve the adoption of electronic assignment submission. This would be a real step forward.

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Dan Poltawski -

Hi Damyon,

This sounds very encouraging. We are doing some work with Lancaster University in the UK and the planned changes tick off quite a significant number of the gaps which are there are the moment. We hope to be able to support you in this development.

Some things which I don't see much mention of but are relevant to us

• More flexibility for late submissions (e.g. allow late submissions for a week after deadline date only, au)
  • Conditional release of feedback

I have attached a brief feature list which was compiled for by Lancaster University for some of their needs (independently of the work you have been doing) for info about their needs.

Thanks,

Dan

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Poltawski

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Have you read http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Better_handling_of_overdue_quiz_attempts. That is also targetted for 2.3, and is currently sittin in a half-developed state.

Anyway, it would be good ot provide a consistent handling of late things in Moodle, so we should try to harmonise our proposals.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Damyon Wiese -

Thanks Tim,

I'll go through that page and try and align our approaches here.

Regards, Damyon

In reply to Dan Poltawski

by Grette Wilkinson -

Hi Dan,

I would support more flexibility for late submissions...perhaps the introduction of a cut-off date that people can use to set a specific time after which no more submissions will be accepted.

Cheers,

Grette

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Bob Ridge-Stearn -

Excellent, we welcome this development and the opportunity to provide feedback.

Firstly I think the amalgamation of the four assignment types into one is the right way to go.

I've looked at the wiki page (http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Assignment ) and see most of our wishes are recognised though one is out of scope.

There are many things listed which we would dearly like to have in the assignment tool but if I had to list my top 5, here's what we have prioritized:

1. Ability to set a second due date (for the end of the late period) .
  2. Ability to blind mark (aka anonymous marking)
  3. Ability to second mark/moderate before the grade is released (and for there to be a way of manually setting second marking as complete - in other words not have to second mark all submissions).
  4. Ability to set defaults (i.e. number of files to be submitted, send for marking (Yes/No), allow late submissions (Yes/No) etc, so these don't have to be addressed every time an assignment is created.
  5. Ability to pre-populate the Description text box with default formatted text (so all an institutions' assignments can carry the same information and point to an 'assignment brief' file for information specific to any particular assignment.

Good Luck and have a merry and peaceful Christmas.

Bob Ridge-Stearn.
Newman University College, Birmingham.

In reply to Bob Ridge-Stearn

by Alan Crawley -

Do we know if any progress has been made on point 4?  Because we really would like to be able to change the default settings for the assignment.

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Mark Andrews -

Hi Damyon,

This is a great!

Use case 3 (Anonymous marking) and 11 (second marking process) are two areas that we have identified as being key! To further flesh out Use case 11 we have the following process.

Use case 11

• Student submits work
  • Marker grades and leaves feedback
  • Second marker, checks grades and feedback - makes any amendments
  • Second Marker, releases grades to student(s), thus locking the assessment so no changes can be made

In addition to this it would be useful if the module would tell the student where in the process their assessment is; ie. awaiting marking, awaiting moderation etc...

Also is the plan that these functions would work across all assignment types?

Regards

Mark 

In reply to Mark Andrews

by Damyon Wiese -

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info on the use case 11. This is in the set of features we will look at once the core changes are complete (we hope to be able to get to them all). I'll put your comments into the wiki page. 

Yes all these features will work for all assignment types (because there will only be one assignment type). The exception is custom assignment types that were created for the current assignment module which will require changes to work with the new assignment type.

- Damyon

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Bob Puffer -

At our school (and, I believe many others) the easiest method for submitting an assignment that is to be critiqued and potentially returned for resubmission is through Google Docs. I would be disappointed if this were not included in the new assignment interface as an option.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Minh-Tam Nguyen -

Hi Bob,

How do your students let the teacher know where ther Google doc can be found at the moment? (and how do students and techers deal with sharing permissions? Are you a Google Apps school?)

I have come across a use case where students are to submit work they have posted elsewhere on the net - blog posts, website contributions. They used the "online text assignment" (in 1.9) and instructed students to post the URL. Teachers just click the link.

Woudl such an approach work for you, or did you have something else in mind?

In reply to Minh-Tam Nguyen

by Bob Puffer -

We actually integrated 1.9x into Google Apps for Education (and expect to need to do the same for 2.x).  The integration takes care of the folder permissions in the background, allowing students access to a "read-only" collection and a "student-writeable" collection in Google Docs.  If the file repository interface was appropriately designed (2-legged OAuth, course-level collections), this integration would be unnecessary.

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Grette Wilkinson -

Great work Damyon,

Much of what we would like to see in the assignments module has been included as in-scope which is great news!

If we had to prioritise, our list would look something like this (I tried to limit it to 5 but just couldn't):

1. Ability to set extension dates for individual students, have this new date visible to markers and ensure that submission isn't flagged as 'late'

**2. Set an end date for late submissions (cut-off date). Any submission after the due date should be flagged/highlighted as 'late'

3. Team/group assignments

*4. Block unacceptable file types. Priority is nasties at system level (eg. lnk), others at assignment level (lower priority)

5. Blind marking

6. Ability to turn the student declaration on/off as an assignment setting. (I have added a note to http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Assignment)

**7. Better handling of resubmissions. Provide the ability for the marker to flag students as being eligible for a resubmit. It is possible to use the 'revert to draft' function, however the terminology and function is not quite right. Perhaps a function that operates in a similar way but uses resubmission terminology...with the ability to set a new due date for the resubmit.

*Currently listed as out-of-scope
**Not currently listed

We also really like the addition of rubrics to assignments and would like to see this functionality extended to allow each achievement level being given a mark range - eg Unsatisfactory = 0-9, Outstanding 16-20 etc. The marker could then apply some judgement and allocate marks within this range. Not sure whether this is in or out of scope.

Cheers,
Grette

In reply to Grette Wilkinson

by Ray Lawrence -

Hi,

Regarding the use cases mentioned, are you planing to develop this to the extent that all of them will be accommodated? i'm particularly interested in second marking.

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Stephen Kennedy-Clark -

Where an assignment has been submitted as an attached file, perhaps an MD5 signiature of the file should be created and sent as part of the recipt and recorded in Moodle. This way all parties can verify that the assignment subbitted is the one that recipt was generated for.

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Roger Emery -

Maybe related to Online Text (case10), but option that the submission is a URL.

This will allow portfolio addresses or website/blog addresses or even SLURLs to be easily entered and maybe verified.

--

I'm also looking at how the cases are building - should the options when the assignment is set up by the tutor be divided into sections such as

1. Set Assignment Brief (and dates, groups etc)

2. Set Submission type (text/file/URL/other/third party)

3 Set Marking/Grading type

4 set Feedback Type.

in the sense that it is likely that someone is going to want a combination that has not been considered. This would allow the user to independently set the 4 sets of critea.

--

Case 2 - starter file. As well as a file, can we have a URL field to link to a brief if it's held elsewhere/on another system?

We have been working of the spec for an "assessment brief" module which is entirely seperate from the moodle/turnitin/mahara/physical atrefact/exam/other  assignment submission process. This is designed to allow tutors and quality staff to develop assessment, approve them, and then publish them to students (including via moodle).
It is envisaged that there will be a field to link to the assignment if it is online somewhere and also integration such that if it is a moodle assignment cross linking/data sharing can take place (ie pre-fill some of the form fields).
This is still in the design stage (business process) and only a very simplistic proof of concept is coded for moodle 1.9 however I'm happy to share when we've got a bit closer to it making sense.

--

I've asked the team here to have a think on Assignment changes for 2.3 so maybe some more input to come.

Roger

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Dave Balch -

Hi,

Great to see you taking this work forwards Damyon smile

Is there any more detail for the wiki page's Design and Implementation Plan sections that hasn't made it to the page?

A question for anyone: Am I right in thinking that, when mod_assignment (the old one) is removed, I will still be able to use a customised version of it by reinstating the files?

Background: I'm trying to decide the best approach to porting my group's customised version of mod_assignment from 1.9 to 2.x:

1. Port existing module as-is, using mod_assignment
  2. Re-build based on mod_assign, taking advantage of it's new features (which cover some of my customisations)

Naturally I'd like to take option #2 as the forward-looking choice, but this will depend on how feature development progresses - so I need to consider #1 as a route, and whether mod_assignment deprecation would be a problem.

I'm taking a look at https://github.com/netspotau/moodle-mod_assign to get a feel for working with it.

Cheers,
Dave.

In reply to Dave Balch

by Damyon Wiese -

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the feedback. Answers below:

> Is there any more detail...

Yes - we are fleshing out the detail now and you will see alot of updates on the dev documentation page soon. You will see I have now broken it down into the list of features that are in scope for the first release but not put the detail against the items yet - that will come shortly.

> Will I still be able to use the old assignment type?

Yes - the upgrade will disable the old assignment type in 2.3 and wont remove it until a later date (TBD). You will be able to disable the new assignment and re-enable the old one if that is your preference.

> 2 options - which one...

It depends on the Moodle version you need to support and when you are going to have development resources available to do the work.

If you only need to support Moodle 2.3 and are happy to wait until the code is more complete for the base rewrite (end of Feb ETA) then I would look at the new module.

Otherwise you could target the existing module - the downside being that it will stop recieving updates and new features and will be removed from core Moodle eventually (which means it won't even receive security updates).

Or: you could do both - ie target the existing module and write upgrade code to manage the conversion to the new module.

> I'm taking a look at https://github.com/netspotau/moodle-mod_assign to get a feel for working with it.

Great - but this is more of a prototype. We will write up the design docs and get agreement and then do a fair bit of restructuring of that repo soon - especially around the area of custom subtypes. I saw you voted on Martin's question in the tracker under MDL-26997 around the support for custom assignment types. It looks like this approach is preferred by everyone so far - we will then refactor the code we have done so far to support this approach.

Regards, Damyon

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Dave Balch -

Cool, thanks for the reply.

I'll check the updated design docs.

Cheers,
D.

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Paul Charsley -

Hi Damyon,

Its great to see this work going ahead. The Lightwork team is also working to include Lightwork in Moodle 2.3 core (see http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=187818) and it will be great to work with you to integrate our changes.

I noticed that your specifications talk about extending the zip download feature to support offline marking. Lightwork provides full support for offline marking which is much more than just uploading/downloading of zip files and so I feel that it would be good to include the integration of Lightwork in your specification for offline marking.

We've also done a lot of work developing the Team assignment type that implements all of the requirements that you have listed. We decided against using the existing groups/grouping structure for implementing teams since it was too restrictive. Instead we created separate team, team_student tables. The team assignment type allows students to create their own teams (I don't think you have included this as a requirement) which we also found to be important. Please have a look at what we have done at http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=3780 and http://lightwork.massey.ac.nz/projects/show/moodle-teams. We are currently working on the Team assignment type for Moodle 2.2.

Cheers, Paul

In reply to Paul Charsley

by Emma Irwin -

HI Paul,

What is it about groups/groupings that seems to restrictive?  

can team_students records belong to a groupings?

as for students assigning themselves to teams - we prefer instructors do this, is that mechanism to be in place.

thank you (RRU developer - team assignment, we'd like to get more involved)

In reply to Emma Irwin

by Paul Charsley -

Hi Emma,

The problems we had with groups/groupings were that students creating teams did not have the permissions to create and manage groups and groupings. We also did not want to make any changes to existing tables and so creating separate team and team_student tables provided a good approach.

Yes, It is a key requirement to add a mechanism for instructors to create teams.

Yes, it would be great for you to be involved.

Thanks, Paul

by Emma Irwin -

HI Paul, 

I just sent you a message hoping to chat in more detail about the use cases for 2.3 Team Assignment, but I also wanted to post a question (to include the forum here) about your team_students table

I was wondering if you looked into the possiblity of adding a role/permission to a single group as a method of allowing students to manage specific groups?     

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon smile

Emma

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Grette Wilkinson -

Hi Damyon,

I have had a couple of suggestions re improving some of the "Flinders Changes", notably:

1. Adding a "back to site" link on the submission confirmation screen (rather than relying on the breadcrumbs)

2. Adding the course name to the filename of the csv in the zip download (to avoid having multiple files of the same name and to assist in finding the desired csv at a later date).

Cheers

Grette

by Michael Hughes -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

With regard to zipped download of assignments it would also be desirable (and apologies if I've missed this further up) that a user could choose to download the *entire* collection of assignments submissions or to choose to download a collection of assignment submissions for a group.

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Adam Wright -

One thing that is very important, especially for the college environment, is to allow tutors to mark the work (i.e. PDF) live inside the web browser. A plugin called UploadPDF by Davo Smith provides this functionality as a Moodle add-on and it works wonders. 

Having experienced the old method of downloading files and uploading response files, to marking the work live inside the VLE browser, these features are keys for success:

• Ability to set file types for submission i.e. PDF only
  • Ability to auto-attach a cover sheet (custom) with student details, id code and date uploaded (id code needs entering to agree)
  • Ability to mark student work (annotate) inside the web browser
  • Ability to revert to draft for a 2nd submission, attaching to the original annotated document
Anything that requires the downloading of files, marking and reuploading does not work in a busy college environment. At my college, we were surrounded with 90+ files on our systems... nightmare. We had to revert to paper. 

We are now using the add-on to mark PDFs, but if this feature was to be embeded in the Moodle core, it would be even better.
Average of ratings:Useful (2)
In reply to Adam Wright

by Geoffrey Rowland -

My vote too for Davo Smith's UploadPDF Assignment functionality to be included in core Moodle 2.3 cool

In reply to Geoffrey Rowland

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I've often wondered if we could restructure Davo's work for core so that it becomes less dependant on a single module...

We could write a "plagiarism plugin" that converted uploaded files to pdf and then passed them to the plugin.

the pdf conversion would likely require some server config so if that wasn't enabled it would only work with files that students uploaded as pdfs - I haven't looked but it could be a nice improvement to the assignment module if a teacher was able to select what file extensions are able to be uploaded to the assignment.

- we'd probably want to "rename" the "plagiarism" component to something else - as it wouldn't be just "plagiarism" plugins anymore - maybe something like "assessablefile"

just ideas though - would need someone with the time or funding to implement it.

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Grette Wilkinson -

I too like the idea of these features being part of core as online marking is certainly an option that we would like to be able to offer staff.

My initial concerns related to the requirement to get students to upload a pdf file and if I read your suggestion correctly then some way to converting files to pdfs would overcome this issue.

Perhaps this is something that could be looked at for 2.4 once the 2.3 rewrite is settled into core?

This also relates more broadly to the desire of some staff to limit the file extensions that are uploaded - will this feature make it to 2.3 Damyon?

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Troy Williams -
Picture of Plugin developers

I like the idea of being able to select the filetypes that can be uploaded. Even with a notice in the intro box students still upload wrong filetype.

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Paul Charsley -

Hi Damyon and everyone,

Yesterday we had a very useful online meeting with the Electronic Assignment Management (EAM) consortium where we discussed the new Assignment changes and how they overlap with Lightwork and how we can work together. Following on from that meeting I thought it would be useful to share the Lightwork team's high level vision of how we see the new Assignment module and Lightwork working together to enhance and improve Moodle. It would be great to have feedback both from those at the meeting and the rest of the community to ensure that our visions are aligned.

The functionality of managing and allocating assignment submissions to markers was one of the topics that was discussed and since this is a key feature already implemented by Lightwork, I'll use it in the following scenario to explain our vision for assignment marking in the Moodle assignment module.

In Moodle
=======
1) An assignment is created
2) The teachers (marking managers and markers) can access it and view the list of students who can submit assignments.
3) The marking manager could choose to create a rubric on which the marking would be based. The rubric would be published for the students to view.
4) The marking manager could choose to allocate students to markers for marking. This could be done manually or via an algorithm.
5) Students commence submitting assignments (if a rubric is being used then this would normally follow on from rubric publication)
6) Markers begin marking the submissions of the students that have been assigned to them
7) Markers finish marking and submit their marking to the manager for review
8) The marking manager releases the marking back to the students via gradebook

Lightwork
=========
Any of the teachers (marking managers or markers) may choose to use Lightwork to perform all or some of steps 2-4 and 6-8 described above. They may wish to use Lightwork instead of the Moodle web interface because:
a) They wish to work offline
b) They wish to take advantage of Lightwork's ability to manage locally, all the files and students assigned to them for marking.
c) They wish to easily create and manage their student feedback and annotations
d) They wish to take advantage of Lightwork's ability to generate feedback PDF documents based on a rubric

I believe that the key to achieving all of the above is to incorporate Lightwork's marking management database tables and logic into the new assignment module. Please let me know what you all think and whether our visions are aligned.

Cheers, Paul

In reply to Damyon Wiese

Team assignment

by Paul Charsley -

Hi everyone,

As we discussed, I have set up our Lightwork Moodle 2.1 development site with the Team assignment type so that you can see how it could fit our needs for Team assignment in the new assignment module.

The site can be accessed at http://lightwork-dev.massey.ac.nz. The course is "301 Social Environment" where I have created "Social Env team assignment 1". There are currently 4 teams:

Team 1 - This has 2 student members. Membership is now closed because they have submitted the final submission for marking.
Team 2 - This has 2 student members. Membership is now closed because they have submitted the final submission for marking.
Team 3 - This has 2 student members. Nothing has been submitted yet
Team 4 - This has 2 student members. Nothing has been submitted yet

In order to test this I would suggest logging in as another student. Select the help icons for an explanation of the various actions. You can use any of the following student logins (they all have password "password"):

jbarry, abashir, cbates, jbeader, jbears, gbell, abellman, rboyd, ycao, jcarter, mchoa

Once you login and access the team assignment as one of the above students you could:
1) Create your own team
2) Join one of the existing teams (where membership is still open)
3) After joining a team (you can only join one) you could submit an assignment for marking

You could also test team assignment as a teacher. The teacher login is cchadwic with password "password". After opening the assignment you will see that you can view and mark the submissions:
1) By team - where you give a single mark to the whole team
2) By team members - where you give individual marks to team members

If you wish to experiment further you could also create a new team assignment.

Please remember that this version of team assignment has been ported from the Moodle 1.9 version and so there are still a few bugs that need to be addressed. Note also that the current version is designed to allow students to create the teams. Due to popular demand we also plan a modification to allow teachers to create teams and have more control over membership.

Looking forward to your feedback,
Paul

Re: Team assignment

by Grette Wilkinson -

Thanks for sharing that Paul. The work you have done is fantastic and certainly meets a need. 

Some comments from a purely non-technical 'user' perspective...

Whilst setting up a 'team' assignment where students not only allocate themselves to teams, but also create the teams, can reject members and can close the teams themselves may be used, some more common occurances at our institution are where the teacher/lecturer assigns students to a 'team' either manually or randomly, or the team membership is already known, or the number of teams is known...ie:

• teachers manually allocate students to X number of teams (X as set by teacher)
  • system randomly allocates students to X number of teams (X as set by teacher)
  • teacher creates X number of teams and students have to self-register into teams....maybe by a given date - and then membership is closed either on a set date or by the teacher
  • teacher 'asks' the system to create teams with Y number of students in each team

I am slightly concerned that the teams assignment doesn't use the existing groups and groupings feature within Moodle. I realise that this has been discussed but I must admit to not fully appreciating the shortcomings of the groups/groupings that has required creation of 'team tables'. From a user perspective I would expect to create my teams using the groups interface and expect a fairly high support overhead for institutions if this is otherwise.

The workflow as i see it from a user perspective is that the teams could be created using the 'autocreate groups' feature in groups/groupings that already has built in options for number of groups/members per group, group/member count, allocation method, naming scheme, grouping name. Then the assignment would have a setting that flagged it as a 'team assignment' which would allow one submission per team and would utilise the grading features that your demo displays - ie. the ability to grade as a team or as individual members.

Some thought needs to be put in to submission permissions - I note in the demo that as a member of a team I can upload a file and submit and once I have done so no other members can submit and the team membership is closed. This model assumes that all team members agree with the submission - I think this needs to be more explicit and all students in the group need to say "yes - ready" – makes all students accountable (no comeback to say work submitted wasn’t what they agreed on). In practice I wonder how often an assignment will be late as a result of one student not having gone in and clicked "ready for submission" - so should the teacher be able to see the work as soon as it is uploaded (as is the case now) as well as which students of the group have declared that the work is ready for marking.

Any chance we might be able to look at the work already done by Royal Roads Uni - http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-27250?

by Paul Charsley -

Hi Grette,

Thanks for your feedback. An important aspect of our team assignment type is to free the teacher from the administrative aspect of creating and managing
teams and to empower the students to do this. However, as you and others have pointed out, this doesn't suit all learning environments and there needs to be additional functionality so that teachers can control this.

Your suggestions on team creation and submission permissions all look good. We've also had a secondary school asking about ways to prevent students from maliciously removing other students from teams and so there is definitely a requirement to make improvements in this area.

As far as using the Moodle groups and groupings feature, I am quite happy to revisit this area. When we built the team assignment, an important requirement was to have a minimal support overhead. This meant that we avoided making any changes to existing Moodle tables as per the recommended Moodle design strategy for building new assignment types. I had a brief look at the work done by Royal Roads Uni at MDL-27250. They use the Groups and groupings feature but also made changes to existing Moodle tables assignment and assignment_submissions.

However, I think that the design of the new team assignment will be very much influenced by the design decision taken at
http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Assignment_Subtypes_Combined. We will need to understand exactly how the new team assignment can fit in with the approach chosen here.

Paul

by Emma Irwin -

Hi Paul, 

I was looking for the Moodle Design Strategy for building new assignment types you mention.  Is there a link for that?

Yes, we did end up adding tables to assignment_submission (to add groupid) etc.   The approach of our submissin was to permit all assignment types as candidates for 'team assignment'.

Having said that, I do like having a team assignment type.    

We do a LOT with groupings/groups team assignments so groupings is a must for us.

by Shelley Finerty -

Hi Paul,

As Emma mentioned, we do use Groups and Groupings for a lot of our courses where there is the need to split the students into 'sections' with different instructors, all within the same course.  The course material is the same for both sections so to avoid having to duplicate the course material, we use the Groups and Groupings to define who sees what and share the materials/activities.

We define two Groupings and assign predefined groups to them: 

• All Sections- Individuals: Section A; Section B
  • All Sections - Teams: Team A1, Team A2; Team B1, Team B2

This allows us to choose in the Group Mode for an activity, whether the assignment is for individuals or teams.

Once this framework is set up, we can run the entire course selecting activities as we require and the teams are already set.  So to have to redefine teams at the assignment level might be counterproductive.  

In order for this to work for our model, we need the groupings to separate the sections of our course.  I don't know how those will work with the new 'team assignment' assignment type.

Will you be able to assign a Grouping to a team assignment?  Could the Grouping override the team assignment teams?  Could this be an option?  Or would that defeat the purpose of creating the team assignment functionality?

Shelley

by Eva Heinrich -

Hi Grette,

I agree that there are cases where the teacher will define 'teams' or 'groups' for assignments. But we also need to cater for the situation where we allow students to work in pairs (or as groups of 3, 4), with partners of their choice. We have seen that especially for large classes. For this case we do need a student interface to creating groups.

Would this work as follows?

As part of setting up an assignment with shared submission (a team assignment) a grouping is created (with the teacher being able to edit the grouping name).

The students create groups for themselves  (withing the assignment interface, similar to what we do in our Team assignment currently) and these groups get added automatically to the grouping.

Storage happens in the existing Groupings/groups tables and the existing user interface can be used by the teacher to monitor (and if necessary intervene).

In reply to Eva Heinrich

by Grette Wilkinson -

Hi Eva,

Yes I think that would work. It may also be worth exploring the use of the Auto-create groups function to set up groups (either based on number of groups or members per group) within a Grouping. And then setup a Group Selection activity to allow students to enrol themselves in their chosen group.

Then the team assignment then uses the grouping.

Would that work?

by Michael Hughes -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Some thought needs to be put in to submission permissions - I note in the demo that as a member of a team I can upload a file and submit and once I have done so no other members can submit and the team membership is closed. This model assumes that all team members agree with the submission - I think this needs to be more explicit and all students in the group need to say "yes - ready" – makes all students accountable (no comeback to say work submitted wasn’t what they agreed on). In practice I wonder how often an assignment will be late as a result of one student not having gone in and clicked "ready for submission" - so should the teacher be able to see the work as soon as it is uploaded (as is the case now) as well as which students of the group have declared that the work is ready for marking.

Funnily this discussion came up internally with our "Group Assignment" type too. In the end we implemented both mechanisms and put it in the hand of the academic to determine which one they wanted to use.

I would note that if a single student "fails" to sign off it (and providing there is a deadline) then perhaps its just more detailed "lateness" tracking (for the one that didn't submit) that is required or perhaps maybe a "Yes|No|No response" option. This would allow a student to explicitly sign off on the submission, fail to sign off on it (or implied sign off when submission deadline passes) or explicitly reject the submission (ie. they disagree with the group).

I think the current system already allows staff to mark uploaded work so unless work is explictly remove it should be markable.

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Anne Krijger -

As the discussion here seems more on a usability level then development level I am not sure if these comments go here or should go elsewhere (Dev forum, MDL issue?), so feel free to point me elsewhere.

What I am missing is the extensibility of the new assignment module.
All I found was that it was deemed an 'Optional requirement'.

The system I currently work on has quite a bit of core changes.
A good number of these are in the code that handles the way an assignment is implemented.

All of that was done, just so I could change part of the mod_form for an assignment, have it submit to my slightly changed submit/data processor and restyle the L&F of the form.

I had to tinker with the /course/mod_edit.php because there are hardcoded paths in there like;

$modlib = "$CFG->dirroot/mod/$module->name/lib.php";
$modmoodleform = "$CFG->dirroot/mod/$module->name/mod_form.php";
redirect("$CFG->wwwroot/mod/$module->name/view.php?id=$cm->id");

I had to add code to change the value of $module->name back and forth in specific places.

Because of this I also had to create a new module which extends the standard assignment module. But because there is no real way to extend the standard assignment, I had to copy a lot of code and make it call the standard code. The lib.php of this newly created module is a good example of what I would have liked to avoid;

require_once(dirname(dirname(__FILE__)).'/assignment/lib.php');
function mymodulenameassignment_supports($feature) {
   return assignment_supports($feature);

Now if I could have extended the assignment module class, only change those parts I needed to, and if there would have been 'factory functions' to generate the above mentioned hardcoded paths, which I could then also have overridden where needed,

my guess is that the assignment module would have been flexible enough to easily extend it to do just about whatever without needing full copies or the subtypes.

Oh, and another feature I would like is to have the mod_form use a renderer I can override where needed smile

Is any of this implemented, if not are there plans to, or am I just missing something and is this flexibility/extensibility really not needed?

Anne.

In reply to Anne Krijger

by Damyon Wiese -

Hi Anne,

What you have described is exactly what the submission plugins we are building support for is intended for. You can read the spec (so far - it is a work in progress) here:

http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Assignment_Subtypes_Combined

Regards, Damyon

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Anne Krijger -

Hi Damyon,

I did read the specs, but from it I didn't really get a good idea on how extensible the new assignment is going to be.
I'll have a look at the code when I get a chance, that will probably make it clearer to me.

Anne.

In reply to Damyon Wiese

Re: Assignment changes for 2.3 - Community call?

by Emma Irwin -

In most Open Source projects and initiatives with this much discussion, varying-wide opinions - there are usually community calls to find a consensus & collaborate? 

I am concerned that the team_assignment table replacing the groups will tie our hands with regard to groupings. 

If this change was made because students can't modify/create groups, then why are we not exploring an addition set of permission/role assignment instead?  I have a lot of questions like this.  But I also have time to help answer them & contribute. 

Can we have a call?  Drupal has some handy IRC channels - Mozilla uses Etherpad install...  Moodle could benefit in this situation.  I can volunteer to isntall Etherpad on my domain if the main contributors could commit to attending?

In reply to Emma Irwin

by Damyon Wiese -

Hi Emma,

From the discussion so far I really think that reusing the existing groups and groupings tables is the right way to implement this. I am happy to have a call about this too if enough people want that. Perhaps we can have a vote?

Option A) Add new team_assignment table and create the groups within the assignement

Option B) Reuse the existing groups and groupings tables for the assignment (with a permissions tweak to allow students to add themselves to groups based on a setting in the assignment)

And if you vote - also say if you would be interested in a call about this?

(My vote is Option B and I am happy to have a call)

Regards, Damyon

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Grette Wilkinson -

I vote Option B. Also happy to have a call.

Grette smile

In reply to Emma Irwin

by Paul Charsley -

Hi Emma, Grette, Damyon

I'm happy to work with the proposal for using groups and groupings since that is the majority view.

Cheers, Paul

by Emma Irwin -

Great Paul.  Thank you

Perhaps we can set a day next week for everyone to join in on a call with some collaboration tool like Etherpad .  If there are any peferences for conf tools that would be good to know.  If not, I can offer to host a Colloborate (Elluminate) conference (mics and headphones needed) .

Our team is going to review the Case studies for Team assignment this week, as well as the combining of Assignment subtypes - so that we can better understand all you've been doing and support your efforts which we really appreciate.

For those interested in a call please email me : emma.irwin AT royalroads.ca   , and we'll try to set something up (will post agenda and results here though).

Thanks again Paul, and look forward to talking with you

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Steve Towson -

I would like to see two new aspects to assignments:

1. Setting different due dates for different groups (or groupings).
  2. Allowing a response file for the offline assignment.

Thanks for letting us have the opportunity to ask.

In reply to Steve Towson

by Damyon Wiese -

Hi Steve,

Number 2 is definitely possible with the new assignment type but not number 1.

- Damyon

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Steve Towson -

RE:  Different due dates for different groups.

Group and individual over-rides are available for the quiz activity.  Isn't it the same thing?  Couldn't the code be adapted?

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Steve Towson -

Hello.

Where is this new assignment type?

In reply to Steve Towson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I don't think it's publicly visible yet - looking forward to itsmile

In reply to Steve Towson

by Frederic Nevers -

I second number 1 - ability to set different due dates for different groups/groupings. The current workflow (duplicating assignments) is not ideal.

Cheers, 
Fred 

In reply to Frederic Nevers

by Peter Diedrichs -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I don't know if this is already suggested:

The teacher should be able to publish the submissions (with or without their comments and grades) for other students to download and read before a seminar.

(There could also a possibility/assigmnet for students to comment other submissions. This may be done other ways in moodle, but not for group assignments)

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Jean-Philippe Gaudreau -

Hi,

In which version of Moodle the team assignment feature is plan to be released? I can't seem to find this information in tracker or documentation.

Thx!

Jean-Philippe

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Steve Bond -

Hello Damyon,

I hope this is the right forum for this question about blind grading.

Can you tell us how you propose to identify students during the 'blind' period? From what I can find online, it looks like a hash of student ID or username would be used.

However, in some cases it would be useful to use candidate numbers to identify students instead, as that is often the way universities and colleges are already doing their 'blinding'.

It would be tricky - you'd have to have a new permission, denied to teachers, that would allow someone to view and edit the candidate number assigned to each student.

Just wondered if it had been considered and what you think of the idea?

Cheers

Steve

In reply to Steve Bond

by Damyon Wiese -

Hi Steve,

The current solution is to use a mapping table that maps a unique auto-assigned number to a student/assignment (so the same student will have different numbers in different assignments).

- Damyon

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Steve Bond -

Thanks Damyon. I think I'll wait till it's released and then look at developing an extension to it to allow custom identifiers.

Steve

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Thomas Niedermaier -

Hello Damyon,

am I right if I assume that the assignment 2.2 module will be supported at least until the release of moodle version 2.5? I can't find anything about it in the moodle 2.4 release notes...

In reply to Thomas Niedermaier

by Damyon Wiese -

Hi Thomas, 

That's right - some additional work needs to be done on backup/restore before we can remove the old module so it will still be there for 2.4.

Regards, Damyon