"Description of page" block for courses?

Re: "Description of page" block for courses?

by Jan Dierckx -
Number of replies: 2
What your looking for is called the 'generic html' block. Unfortunately this block is only compatible with Moodle 1.5, the development (and thus unstable) version of Moodle.
There is a workaround.
  • Install the glossary_random block. Normally it is used to display random entries from the glossary. If you only add one entry, it always displays this one. That's why it could be used to just display a course description.
  • Add a glossary to your course and (optional) hide it from students
  • Add just one entry to the glossary. Write the text you want to display. If you are using the HTML editor, you can also include pictures.
  • After adding the block to a course, a link shows up: change settings for this block.
  • Clicking on the link takes you to a page where you can change the title to something like 'Course description'
  • Make sure you select the glossary you created in step 2.
Or (a lot easier)... wait for Moodle 1.5 to be released.

Attachment gloss.JPG
In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Claudia Scholz -
I hadn't heard of this block.  Is there a repository of these custom blocks somewhere?
In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Anke Tröder -

Thx... I will wait, I guess. It shouldn't be that long now, hopefully smile

Your other suggestion sounds pretty neat though. Nice, how one can twist and turn modules to do all kinds of things ...

@ Claudia: yes, the idea was to have as much space as possible in the top  of the course section itself.

Anke