Please answer ONE question - interview project for college course on online program implementation

Re: Please answer ONE question - interview project for college course on online program implementation

by Colin Fraser -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

You ask some questions that could have books written about them, and you may not like some of the answers you get. However, an honest response is required.

1. How long has your online program used Moodle, did you switch from another CMS?  If so, why did you switch to Moodle?

I understand our State went to Moodle about three years ago, but then it has been a pretty haphazard approach since then.I have been in schools that make real use of Moodle, where I got lucky because I was able to learn a lot, then got involved here. Some schools I have been to have struggled with the technology, and have not yet caught up on Moodle at all. No school I have been at yet has a Maths or Science curriculum delivered on line, except one school where one Science teachers was using it, I got laughed at suggesting it could be used for Maths, and then moved on to another school when I proved it, albeit superficially with some assignments and a few examples. My current school has an ugly front page, has been set up all wrong, and a lot of "courses", but the only courses really there are the ones that I and another person have put there. (One person actually asked me if I could print out what I had just shown them in a Moodle course. Unbelievable! Grevious Bodily Harm should not be considered a crime under those circumstances, I tell you.)   We have been, and still are, using Blackboard, but support for it is slipping, and will be gone by year's end, I understand.

Do you have official professional development courses to train teachers on how to use Moodle, transfer courses, give tech support?  If so, do you hold face-to-face workshops or do you use Moodle?

I wish... The one person who is delivering Moodle training in one place I have been at asked me to run through what they had done. After choking on my lunch, I then suggested they should really think about using Moodle to train people, was never asked again. Don't know why..mmm maybe I should not have told them to take a good look at their professional ethics if they were claiming to be an "expert" in something. You think that might have had something to do with it?

Who owns the course content in your program, the institution or the instructor?

That is easy, as employees, all materials we produce for the various Moodles we work on belong to the Employer. Under Australian law, inherited from British law, has something to do with Masters and Servants Act of 17mumbledy. Where it gets dicey is materials we produce outside the workplace for purposes other than for the use of our Employer. If I wrote book on Moodle for instance, do royalties come to me or to my Employer? I would say me, but my Employer may have other ideas, [particulalry if I have used my employer's equipment and or provisions to produce the work. This has something to do with droit de signeur I think, it is certainly in that league anyway.

Others will say other things, but that may be something for you to consider. I might come back and do some more later.