Problem with the latest 1.5 and the html_block

Problem with the latest 1.5 and the html_block

by Tim Allen -
Number of replies: 9
Hi moodlers,

I understand that 1.5 is unstable, but am still wondering if anyone can shed light on this problem.

When I install the html block from CVS in the latest 1.5, the following happens:
  • when I click to go into a course I get a blank page
  • when I click the "turn editing on" button I get a blank page
Refreshing the page makes no difference. 

As soon as I delete the block this problem goes away.

Any comments as to possible cause of this issue?

Thanks in advance to all,  smile
Tim.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Allen

Re: Problem with the latest 1.5 and the html_block

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Tim,

are you installing this block inside a 1.5 moodle install, or are you trying to install it inside a 1.4 install? - if so, the block is only compatible with the 1.5 development, as it uses lots of new code that is only present in the 1.5 version.

smile

Dan

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Tim Allen -
Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply. Well, the problem is that it is indeed a 1.5 version, so it should be working but isn't. sad

Hmm.. thoughtful

Tim.
In reply to Tim Allen

by Daryl Hawes -
I have just updated the html block. It had gotten out of sync with some of the more recent class changes. I also added some additional security by applying moodle's auto-format before displaying. The latest cvs code should work better for you.

I also think this block should be moved into the core (1.5 HEAD) since it's generic enough that all moodler's will likely use it.
In reply to Daryl Hawes

by Tim Allen -
Thanks a lot Daryl, it's working now.  big grin  approve
In reply to Daryl Hawes

by W Page -
Hi Daryl!

Just want to say your work with Dan on the MoodleBlog feature is just phenomenal.  So much coding is going on at Moodle right now. v1.5 holds a lot of promise.  I do hope the HTML block is included.

BTW, what link do I use to get the block to download as a zip file, like with the modules?  Is it possible?

If I can only get it via CVS, what code do I use to just get that block to download to the server?

Thanks in advance.

WP1
In reply to W Page

by W Page -

Hi Daryl!

Thanks for responding.  I posted this here message by mistake.  sad  You will see a similar and expanded message in the Blogs Forum.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Tim Allen -
Hi WP1,

If I can only get it via
CVS, what code do I use to just get that ONE block to download to the server?

Daryl has just given you the zip download address above, which is probably easier, but just FYI, it is possible to checkout a particular directory only from CVS contrib . I have done this myself.

The command is identical to the standard one, except that you specify the subdirectory. You should execute this command above the contrib directory on your own system (if one exists already) otherwise you will get "contrib/contrib/html_block".

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.moodle.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/moodle co contrib/html_block (make necessary adjustment for non-anonymous CVS).

In order to update it later, just go into the subdirectory and do "cvs update -dP".

(Previous forum reference, from Jon, who else? wink approve
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=7517&parent=35515 )

Hope this helps,
Tim. cool
In reply to Tim Allen

by W Page -

Hi Tim!

Thanks.

I will include this in the newbie SSH manual I am writing.

WP1