Problem with Google Docs repository

Problem with Google Docs repository

by Adrian Norman -
Number of replies: 21

Anyone else having a problem with getting Google Docs to play nice with Moodle 2.0? Keeps throwing up an error message for me when I go to Sign In to Google Docs from within Moodle.

Am I missing something? Is it buggy?

A

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adrian Norman

Re: Problem with Google Docs repository

by Christian Peters -

Can you please be more specific about the error message?

I experience problems, too:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=164616

In reply to Christian Peters

by Adrian Norman -

After I select the Google Docs Repository, I click through a couple of screens granting permission for my Moodle to access Google Docs, then at the final screen I get this error:

error/could not upgrade google authtoken to session token

I wonder if it is a bug in the Moodle code??? Any ideas your end?

by Mark Grace -

Same thing happens to me!!!1 Trying to figure it out my self.

by Darren Jones -

Same problem here. Using new Moodle 2.0.1 install, and a Google Apps education site.

We use an http proxy (if that is relevant) proxy is set in Server>HTTP settings

In reply to Darren Jones

by Mark Grace -

I think I need to upgrade moodle and try again... I haven't installed the latest version of 2.0... That may be the answer

In reply to Darren Jones

by Dominic Bond -

Hi Darren,

Are you using a gapps plugin for Moodle 2.0? I cannot find one for love nor money. This is holding up our move to 2.0. Any help would be appreciated.

by César Rios Gárate -

When I select the G Docs Repository I am asked to log in. and When I log in, I've got this message:

(what is that "next" parameter about?)

The page you have requested cannot be displayed. Another site was requesting access to your Google Account, but sent a malformed request. Please contact the site that you were trying to use when you received this message to inform them of the error. A detailed error message follows:

The "next" parameter was bad or missing.
In reply to César Rios Gárate

by Karsten Burger -

I've the same problem. Does anybody have a solution?

In reply to César Rios Gárate

by Drew Blessing -

I had this same error and it took me months to figure out.  First I thought it was a Moodle bug, then a Google API bug.  I finally found out what needs to be done.

Google WebApp Management.  If you use Google Apps for Education/Business you need to do this. It's a place where you verify the URL where the request originates, in this case, your Moodle server.  You can also set up OAuth here as well as certificates.  I did not do either of these to get Moodle running.

https://www.google.com/accounts/ManageDomains

Simply verify domain ownership (even if you already verified the same domain for your Apps instance), give it a URL for Moodle and it should work.  I did this for each of our Moodle servers and it seemed to work fine after that.

Documentation on this is weak on both Google and Moodle's side.  I think it's a recent change on Google's side, actually.  I will see if I can get this put in Moodle documentation somewhere.

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
In reply to Drew Blessing

by Karsten Burger -

Thank you so much Drew. You really helped me out.

I hade to perfome OAuth and the certificate to avoid a warning message (insecure website).

by Nicolas Dunand -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks a lot Drew!

I followed your procedure, and everithing now works smoothly :

1. go to https://www.google.com/accounts/ManageDomains
  2. add you Moodle installation domain
  3. Click your Moodle now listed under "Manage registration"
  4. Provide the "Target URL path prefix", which in my case was "http://my.moodle.com/repository"
  5. Click "Save"
In reply to Nicolas Dunand

by Marco António -

Hi,

after domain registration procedure, it show up a web page with this information:

The site moodle.maronio.net is requesting access to your Google Account for the product(s) listed below. 

Google Calendar
If you grant access, you can revoke access at any time under 'My Account'. moodle.maronio.net will not have access to your password or any other personal information from your Google Account. Learn more 

Warning! This website is registered with Google to make authorization requests, but has not been configured to send requests securely. We recommend that you continue the process only if you trust the following destination:

http://moodle.maronio.net/ But, when i try to access to Google Docs throught Moodle, i've fot this message:

The page you have requested cannot be displayed. Another site was requesting access to your Google Account, but sent a malformed request. Please contact the site that you were trying to use when you received this message to inform them of the error.

Any ideias?

In reply to Marco António

by Marco António -

Hi,

after this time, i don't have yet a solution!! Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

In reply to Nicolas Dunand

by Josh Lukins -

I was struggling with this all morning - here is the target url prefix that finally worked for me:

https://DOMAIN:443/MOODLEPATH/repository/repository_callback.php

Note the port number - without this it wasn't working (even though the url has https)!

by maer israel -

We have a Google Apps for Edu domain (two actually, one for staff, one for students).  We don't have SSO enabled.  When I add the domain to the list and click Manage XYZ link, it doesn't work for our domain. I get this error:

This service is not available

Google Webmaster Tools is not available for windrush.org. Learn more about Google products you can use with

It seems to be talking about the Webmaster Tools service, which I can't even find as an available option to add to our domain.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

by Andreas Giesen -

I get exactly that error in an upgraded environment (1.9 - 2.1+) but in a new install on a different server it works "out of the box". In my case this has nothing to do with gapps and the fix presented here in the thread didn't help me with the problem-case... Any other options to fix this and ideas why it works in one place but not in the other?

In reply to Andreas Giesen

by Michael Woods -
Picture of Core developers

Hi,

I have a vague recollection that my proxy settings weren't setup correctly in Moodle when I had this error message.

Double-check your proxy address (and username/password credentials if applicable) and retry.

Hope this helps!

Michael

In reply to Michael Woods

by Greg Rodenhiser -

Does anyone have a way to get this working securely??  In order for me to be able to deploy this on our Moodle 2.2.2+ server I need to get rid of the "but has not been configured to send requests securely" message that Google displays.  I will not be able to use this repository if our users get presented with that message.  We don't want users to get complacent about simply clicking through security warnings.  I can get real close via editting lib/googleapi.php and changing secure=0 to secure=1, that makes the security warning go away, but breaks the ability to actually authenticate to the service.  We get the following error:

We only need this working for the GoogleDocs Repository, all our users authenticate against our local LDAP server, not Google.