Moodle users in Malaysia

Moodle users in Malaysia

di Frankie Kam -
Numero di risposte: 51
Immagine Plugin developers

Salam 1Malaysia!

Hey moodle users/lovers in Malaysia, apa khabar?

Why can't there be a MoodleMoot in Malaysia? How many of you good rakyat (Malaysian citizens) love using Moodle and are keen to learn from one another? Perhaps just like our friends from India, we too can get together, chill out, hang around each other to share our experiences in this discussion topic. Share our frustrations and ultimately our joys of using Moodle.

Frankie Kam

Media dei voti:  Very cool (1)
In riposta a Frankie Kam

Re: Moodle users in Malaysia

di Choong Michael -

Hi Frankie,

It was really nice to hear from you - a Malaysian with special interest in developing or promoting Moodle.

I've recently upgraded to Moodle 2.0 and I've encountered few bugs that would like to share. What about you? Are you on Moodle 2.0 yet?

Michael

In riposta a Choong Michael

di Frankie Kam -

Hi Michael!

Thanks for the reply. Well, there are at least two Malaysians on Planet Moodle...Not yet on Moodle 2.0. On Moodle 1.9.8. It's a production site, so I don't want to spend time and effor upgrading just yet. Still waiting for Moodle 2.0.x to mature. Guess I don't know what I'm missing huh?

If you are free, do drop by http://scm.moodleace.com. You can create an email-based account and then roam about. Some of the courses allow guest access.

Frankie Kam
Melaka

di Mokhtar Ismail -

Hai there.... actually glad do see you all the moodlers from malaysia.  Hope that we can share many tips and tricks via this forum.  I'm from Kelantan and start to develope moodle since 2007.

In riposta a Mokhtar Ismail

di Frankie Kam -

Hi Mokhtar.

Salam sejahtera! Welcome to the forum. 
Hope you can benefit from the postings here at moodle.org.
Which version of Moodle are you using? I'm still on M1.9.7.

Feel free to drop by my blog:
http://moodurian.blogspot.com

Frankie

In riposta a Frankie Kam

di Mokhtar Ismail -

Hi there,

Actually i've been using version 1.97 since.  Nowdays i'm so interested with 2.1 version...by the way my  webhosting (ipserverone) did not support the server environment which needed to make it run.  Actually it is about php version 5.32.  My webhosting currently used php 5.2.

Using localhost with wampserver2.0,   doesnt make any problem...but i would like i to bulid my lms with 2.1 at my webhosting.  Any suggention to make it avalible i like to hear from you.

Thank's

In riposta a Mokhtar Ismail

di Frankie Kam -

Apa khabar Encik Mokhtar!

You're using M1.9.7 as well? Okay. On my version, the AJAX drag and drop (when moving activities by hand) doesn't work. So I have to manually move them. Do you experience the same thing? It's a known bug in M1.9.7.

So PHP 5.32 is needed for M2.1. Have you contacted your webhosting company yet?

BTW, my PHP version is 5.2.17. And my webshost is SKSA Technology. I'm using a Linux Virtual Private Server, 512Mb RAM. Originally I used a shared hosting package - too slow. So I upgraded to their lowest-end VPS package. Works for a class size of 20+ concurrent users. They can take a quiz with no problems.

Regards
Frankie Kam

[root@main ~]# php -v

PHP 5.2.17 (cli) (built: Jan 7 2011 08:49:48)
Copyright (c) 1997-2010 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.2.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2010 Zend Technologies
with eAccelerator v0.9.5.3, Copyright (c) 2004-2006 eAccelerator, by eAccelerator
with Zend Optimizer v3.3.9, Copyright (c) 1998-2009, by Zend Technologies

[root@main ~]#

In riposta a Frankie Kam

di Dan Trouten -

Go for it! You guys could schedule a weekend in the off season on Penang. There are some great places to stay on the north shore. Just don't serve durian.... morto

In riposta a Dan Trouten

di Frankie Kam -

How about durian cendol from Melaka's famous Tan Kim Hock centre? linguetta

In riposta a Frankie Kam

di Choong Michael -

Thanks Frankie. You've a fantastic Moodle site. Did you customise it on your own?

Ouw... i miss Malaysian food esp Melaka Cendol and Penang laksa. Not to mention - durian. :D

fyi, i'm now working in London (in education) and have recently installled Moodle 2.0 on our test environment. Our moodle production server is still on 1.9.

What about you guys? Are you working in education and adopted Moodle as your prefered LMS?

Michael

di Frankie Kam -

Dear Michael

Yes. I customised it on my own after many months of hard work. ammiccante

(Un)fortunately it's stuck at 1.9.8 which is fine by me as it's doing what I want it to. Only thing, as Moodle 2.x.x gets better and better over time, my site will fall behind.

Yes, it's a production site. The trick is getting others (my colleagues) to adopt it for their courses. So far only two of us at my college really seriously use Moodle for our courses. Much more work needed in this area in training others and spreading the cheer...Moodle bug(?) to others.

You're in education....that's a wonderful vocation to inspire young lives and to make a difference in others. I've just spent 1hr 45 minutes watching "More than A Game" - the incredible true story of LeBron James and the Akron Fab Five. Very inspiring stuff. I recommend it. Especially if you know anyone who loves basketball.

I was in Hull in 1993-1994. Miss the shepherd's pie and fish and chips. Hope you enjoy the Royal Wedding up close. ammiccante And I do enjoy British wit and humour. London is a great city and wish you all the best in your work!

Frankie Kam

di Dan Trouten -

I miss Malaysia but not because of your dietary selections, Michael!!! I actually went to school on Penang Island when my dad was teaching at a college for a year in the S. Philippines.

As for moodle...I'm in the Carolinas in the American southeast. I am working with a school that wants to move some of their classes online and I stumbled across Moodle. WOW!!! I've done some homework on various LMS and this one seems to be the best one out there simply because the support is unmatched. There are hundreds of people who use Moodle and hang out at these forums. Besides...what LMS software support team even knows what durian is let alone why it's illegal to have in a hotel???

I'm starting with 2.0 off the bat so I'll gain the "newbee" experience on the new version. Hopefully I can use it to help other in the future. It's a Moodle thing!!! Enjoy some real fish and chips for me. I miss London, too....

Dan

In riposta a Dan Trouten

di Frankie Kam -

My dad studied in Penang High School and my mother studied at St. George's Girl School.

In riposta a Frankie Kam

di Dan Trouten -

I went to Dalat International School.

In riposta a Dan Trouten

di Choong Michael -

It was really nice to hear from you guys again. At least we now have three virtual musketeers here in this forum. Well done Frankie for the initial post!

I worked in one of the largest British international school in KL for 11 yrs before coming to London. VLE is always my area of interest and I've completed my MSc dissertation on the use of Mobile Learning Environment(MLE) in Further Education(FE) and Higher Education (HE). Fish & Chip? yeak...i dun fancy them tat much.. hehehe

Btw, i've just got my Moodle 2.0 (vanilla version) installed at http://www.icteduc.com/moodle2/. Please email me if you need an administrative right to access/evaluate the site. I am more than happy to setup one for u guys.

Michael

di Dan Trouten -

That wasn't ISKL you worked for was it??? We used to have quite the rivalry. I'm a big fan of good fish and chips but we can't get them here in most of America let alone the south. I'll email you but it will be a short bit. Maybe together we can figure 2.0....

In riposta a Dan Trouten

di Choong Michael -

No it wasn't ISKL.. it's GIS :D If you fancy fish & chips, come visit me in London. I can show you around and have great foods. :D

Btw, I'm having some issues with the upload file function in 2.0. I guess it might be something got to do with the javascript plugin.  Do you guys have similar problem?

Michael

In riposta a Dan Trouten

di William Hamilton -
You're in the states now? I'm an American living in Malaysia and do love Cendol as well-- good Cendol, hold the Durain. I'm about 45 minutes from Bandar Melaka here in K. Sg Baru near Masjid Tanah-- ALAM specifically. Where in the Carolinas, I also spent some time in Charleston, S.C.
In riposta a William Hamilton

di Frankie Kam -

Hi William.

Small world. Say hi to David Sagaya for me (if he's still there). I used to teach Ms Office to some Middle Eastern students at Alam. Drove from Stamford College to Alam. Took about an hour for me to get there in the hot afternoon sun.

Frankie

In riposta a Frankie Kam

di William Hamilton -

Capt David is still here, but is now Head of Nautical Studies. MS Office... we could probably still use this kind of training here but it won't be initiated from inside... We have MS Office 2007 now and also outdated CBTs for 2003; Some of us have purchased 2010 thru a corporate plan but for home use only. At work, we've not changed over to MS Office 2010. I've also purchased MS Project 2010 under the same prgram mentioned program mentioned earlier.

In riposta a William Hamilton

di Frankie Kam -

William, I've corresponded with Iman Fiqrie. Do you know Iman?

In riposta a Frankie Kam

di William Hamilton -
William and Iman Fiqrie are the same person... Iman is my Muslim name, I'm originally from US but now married to a Malay from Terengganu
In riposta a Frankie Kam

di Nicholas S -

Hi William, Frankie,

Surprise, surprise...people from ALAM. I did my nautical studies there! Good to meet all Moodlers from ALAM.

In riposta a Nicholas S

di Frankie Kam -

I'm now in Port Dickson, attending an Innovation Seminar at Corus Hotel. I just passed Alam on my way here. Brings back memories back to the time when I would travel for an hour from Stamford College Malacca to ALAM to teach Ms Office to some Middle East students.

In riposta a Frankie Kam

di Paul Jacobson -

From Perth WA, we can now fly directly to Kota Kinabalu 3 times a week! AND spend 3 days for $699 pp. How about a MoodleMoot over there - up at Kundasang in the mountain air, eating rendang and local aspagarus.

Seriously, it's quite a good suggestion to have a get together (maybe in KL central) later in the year when Moodle 2.1 is up and running.

Be my guest in my sandbox: Moodle 2 by Gnomio

In riposta a Paul Jacobson

di Frankie Kam -

Hi.

I've created a Moodle facebook group named "Malaysia Moodle Boleh" at
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_188275691224821

The purpose is to bring like-minded Malaysian Moodlers and educators
to discuss, collaborate and share all things Moodle.

If you would like to join the group, then GREAT!

Otherwise, I hope that you can pass the word out to any "Moodle-gila"
(crazy about Moodle, Moodleholics, Moodle-crazed) academicians or staff
so that more Malaysian academicians can move forward towards Wawasan (Vision) 2020.

Peace
Frankie Kam

In riposta a Frankie Kam

di Frankie Kam -

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I give to you, Moodurian - the logo and mascot of the Moodle Malaysia Boleh* Facebook group.

Moodurian

Why a durian? Well, everyone in Malaysia knows what the durian is. To most foreigners in Malaysia, it's a notorious fruit! Some love it, others swear by it, and some loathe it. Do all acadmic staff in my college love Moodle? Nope. But at least two love it. At least one swears by it - me.

So Moodurian!
*Moodle Malaysia Can-Do

In riposta a Frankie Kam

di Zakry Zakaria -

I am using moodle since 2003. It is a good idea to have moodle mooth in malaysia. So that we can share our experience. Lets moodle now! I am using ubuntu webserver. All are welcome to visit my site  http://e-learning.jutawanasia.com

In riposta a Zakry Zakaria

di Mokhtar Ismail -

Salam Sdr Zakry,

Salam perkenalan.... tentu sdr byk pengalaman,  trip dan triks ttf moodle ni ya??  Dah pun guna versi 2 kan?.  Boleh share ke ilmu dan skil dgn saya?  Emel saya suluk99@gmail.com

In riposta a Zakry Zakaria

di Frankie Kam -

Hi Encik Zakry. Nice Moodle 2.0x site. I only thought was that maybe you could be a bit more adventurous with the theme since you are using a commonly found theme for Moodle 2.0. Malaysia Boleh!

Frankie Kam

BTW, I'd like to invite you to the happening FB group:
Moodle Malaysia Boleh.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/188275691224821?ap=1
Please join and I'd also encourage you to invite your other Moodle contacts: Malaysian teachers/facilitators who use Moodle, web host company, colleagues who do Moodle installation, PHP or MySQL programming as long as it is connected with Moodle.

In riposta a Frankie Kam

di Vinny Stocker -

Hi,

I'm working with Moodle in Malaysia (KL). Would be happy to meet up sometime.

Vinny

In riposta a Vinny Stocker

di Frankie Kam -

Hi Vinny

I'll be moving to Petaling Jaya on 1st September 2012.
Just realised that you work at the Garden International School.
Yes, I'd really like to meet you and to see your Moodle work.

Regards
Frankie Kam
P.S.,
All the best for your iMoot 2012 presentation!

In riposta a Frankie Kam

di Vinny Stocker -

Hello Malaysia Moodlers!

Would anyone like to meet up and talk Moodle? Either reply here, or send me a message.

Vinny

Moodle Version

di Andy Goh -

Greeting :

I'm a newbie to this Moodle. I did not manage my moodle directly. However I would like to check my moodle version. How do I do it?

Attach is the snapshot of my moodle front page.

Thanks.

Allegato Moodle3.jpeg
In riposta a Andy Goh

Re: Moodle Version

di Ashutosh Taunk -

Dear Andy,

Once you click on Notification under Site Administration page, you should be able to see the version you are on.

Regards sorridente

In riposta a Ashutosh Taunk

di Andy Goh -

Ok, I clicked on it and got this message:

Block jumpto_menu: self test failed

Thanks.

In riposta a Andy Goh

di Ashutosh Taunk -

Something wrong in there, it should show the version of Moodle installed on the server but not this error. Consult with the person developed your online platform/ developer.

Regards sorridente

In riposta a Andy Goh

di Frankie Kam -

Hi Andy

I was about to ask you what version your Moodle was...duh....heh....anyway, to find out the version, just go to Notifications|Environment. See the attached screen. 

The version of your Moodle show up as clear as an X-Ray.

Regards
Frankie "Moodurian" Kam

In riposta a Frankie Kam

Moodle Version 1.9.9+

di Andy Goh -

Mine is 1.9.9+

Trying to make good use of.

Searching youtube for simple explanation, the best so far is from skaceli.

Hopefully mine message got publish this time. Everytime I hit the button 'Post to forum'. I got error message.

Allegato capture-20120830-085051.jpeg

di pc low -

Hi Vinny

Just registered. are u located here in malaysia?

tks

In riposta a pc low

di Frankie Kam -

Hi PC Low(yat)

Haha. Just messin' around with you.

Okay, I'm from PJ and work and live in PJ. What about you? We have a Moodle Facebook group, "Malaysia Moodle Boleh" and we are meeting up with Vinny and his posse this coming December 13th. Come along to Souled Out, Sri Hartamas (next to Mont Kiara) Thursday 13th December, 7pm to hang out and chat about Moodle.   Care to join us?

Frankie Kam

In riposta a Frankie Kam

di Wui Ket Lim -

Apa khabar Moodler!!! I am from Kuala Lumpur