Importing in Moodle 2.0

Importing in Moodle 2.0

by Rob Monk -
Number of replies: 4

We upgraded to 2.0 a few days ago and are going through some of the pain usually associated with an upgrade.

Importing seems to be a big problem.

My teachers used to be able to easily import data from each others courses. This seems to be more difficult now.

When I go to import I don't get a list of all the courses in my current category. Why not? I used to.

I have to know the exact name of the course i want to import from. The old interface was better.

When I do finally find the course I want to import from I don't have the option of selecting All items or None.

If the course I am importing from has 100 items in it and I only want to import 2 of them I have to do 98 mouse clicks to achive a task that used to take me 3.

We want the old import functionally back.

Moodle Docs does not have the 2.0 instructions either.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rob Monk

Re: Importing in Moodle 2.0

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Last I heard, which was more than a month ago, there was an issue with the backup and restore process - which implies there is an issue with importing. The changes made to the database necessitated a whole new approach to the structure of the backup file, which meant a new approach to the restoration process and so, in turn, the importation of courses has also changed. It tumbles, or cascades when you make the kinds of changes to a program that have been made. I understood the recommendations were that testing and training should occur for this version and the old and the new should be run in parallel until the restoration process is refined enough to adapt courses from earlier Moodles.

Please understand that the new version is a huge step up, not like the change to UTF-8, that was minor in comparison. This is more like a flat dbase to Oracle change, without all the bits in between - its huge. There was always going to be some fallout, but the end result is going to be worth it.

All I am doing is to revamp my courses, about 30 of them, which are not too many into the Moodle 2.0 format simply by rewriting them. But I can do this, I have some time and a lot of what I am doing is on my own private server. All I am doing is to copy and paste text, uploading images from the old Moodledata folder as a zip file and unzipping them then linking them to the text. It has been a bit awkward getting things to work, and there have been some annoyances, but once you get used to it, the new is not too bad at all.

A lot of the functionality seems different, but it is not really. The interface was a bit WAILAHED, (what am I looking at here - expletives deleted) but once you get used to it, it is going to be OK. In the meantime, a lot of people are going bunta because it is "different", "ugly" or "useless" but really, when all said and done, it is necessary change, to suit the newer paradigms.

If what I have heard recently about Android, it may be ported to a desktop, then these changes could not have happened at a more beneficial time. Moodle 2.0 will be a lot more easily adaptable than v1.9.x. Swings and roundabouts....

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rob Monk

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Rob,

I think you address some interesting issues here,  both the "course finder" and the "all/none" switch.

It would be great if you try to define those issues in the Moodle Tracker so, the proposals will be evaluated, prioritised and implemented in the future (don't forget to cross-link between this discussion and the issues in the Tracker so everything will remain connected for people interested).

Ciao smile

In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Rob Monk -

It seems after further reading that the changes to importing have been made deliberately as a "security enhancement". Unfortunately they will make it much more difficult for my teachers to be able to collaborate.

Here is what I want to happen:

• My 6 Year 8 Scinece teachers all begin with a common course. This course is "choc a block" with learning activities developed over a number of years by many different staff. There are over 50 assignments in the course. There are so many activities in the course that staff will not use them all.
  • I don't want my staff to be "straight jacketed" to have to run exactly the same activites as each other so we don't use "Meta Courses". We run 6 standalone courses.
  • We do want teachers to use the gradebook to record assessments, so having extraineous enrollments in the gradebook is problematic.
  • We do want all of the six teachers developing quality new tasks like lessons, peer assessed assignments, rubrics and the like.
  • When one teacher develops a resorce everyone else needs to be able to access it. They need to be able to "pull" the new activity from the other teachers course not have to wait to have it "pushed" at them. If we share we are half way there and sharing is not optional. If you put it on your moodle course others can grab it.

The changes in 2.0 seem to have made this much more difficult.

Yes sharing a whole course is easier but this only gets done twice a year at my school so it does not matter if it takes a bit of time. Importing one or two items from another course is something I want to happen once or twice a week. It should be quick and easy.

As mentioned previously only admins seem to have rights to import single items from courses. You can only import from a course if you are the teacher of both the course you are importing from and the course you are importing to. This means I have to make myself the teacher of all 6 of our Year 8 Science Courses. This will be a mess very soon as your "my courses" block will soon flow over!!!

Will I be able to achieve what I want through manipulating roles?

If so how?

If not how do I go about requesting changes to Moodle 2.1 to make teacher collaboration "on the fly" easier.

Also tracker fans: I took Eloy's advice and put this issue on the tracker.

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-25759 All/None switch when importing.

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-25758 Course Finder Box when importing.

VOTE EARLY, VOTE OFTEN

In reply to Rob Monk

by Rob Nielson -

Does anyone know if any progress is being made on this? I voted on it (total of 5 votes now).