Masher output borked

Masher output borked

by David Dunn -
Number of replies: 4

I followed the standard masher tutorial to create an exercise containing a series of jumbled sentences for students to reorder.

I created an instruction file using Dreamweaver and together with the two sample sentences, added the follwing files:

• instructions.html
  • jumbled_sentence_1_of_8
  • jumbled_sentence_2_of_8

I did not change the default settings, except for adding the text "Jumbled sentences" to the Unit or chapter title under the Source tab.

When I "build" and show the output, I get the following:

screenshot of Masher output error

The sole link is to the instructions.html, but that has no links in itself because I thought Masher would create them.

What am I doing wrong?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Dunn

Re: Masher output borked

by Gordon Bateson -
Immàgine de Core developers Immàgine de Peer reviewers Immàgine de Plugin developers

Hi David,
I don't use the Masher very often, so I can't be much help with that issue. You could probably get a detailed explanation of what is going on, as well as help on making the Masher do what you want, over on the "Hot Potatoes Users" forum:

I imagine you posted this message because at some point you intend to add you Hot Potatatoes exercises to a Moodle course. Actually, you don't need the masher file in Moodle. In a way, Moodle replaces the Masher. Just add the JMix exercises as HotPot activities in your Moodle course, and you're done.

regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by David Dunn -

Thanks for the quick response, Gordon.

You're right that I plan to upload the jmix scrambled sentences to Moodle. I tried Masher because I couldn't see how else to make it that the student clicks on a single link to the HP quiz and can then attempt each item (scrambled sentence) after each other.

I've now tried to do this as an activity in Moodle, but get two links on the course page, each to a single quiz item.

Screenshot of config.:

screenshot of HP config

In reply to David Dunn

by Gordon Bateson -
Immàgine de Core developers Immàgine de Peer reviewers Immàgine de Plugin developers
David, if you set the "Show next quiz" setting for the first HotPot activity to "yes", and then "hide" the second HotPot activity, your students will only see one link on the course page, but they will be shown the second activity when they have finished the first. To handle this situation altogether more elegantly, I suggest you install the QuizPort module at some point, but maybe you would do better to get comfortable with the HotPot module first. all the best Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by David Dunn -

OK. Got it working. I see what you mean about the inelegant flow from one item to the next. I'll try out Quizport this evening.

Thanks for your speedy help, Gordon.

~~Issue resolved~~