Moodle repositories and mapped drives

Moodle repositories and mapped drives

by David Gray -
Number of replies: 3
Afternoon all, I'm gearing up for the release of Moodle 2.0 by downloading and testing 2.0 Release 4 and was looking at the repository feature.

A while back, I was told that we could map a personal home drive to Moodle's repository system, so students could access their school work from Moodle automatically.

For example, if John Smith logs in to Moodle using LDAP, he can go into "My Files" or wherever within Moodle, and see his entire home directory, automatically mapped for him. I know there's a "Personal files" area, but I can't seem to work out if it'll operate like I imagine.

In the same vein, staff have a curriculum drive that has all sorts of useful documents and photos that they would like to have access to, and link into their moodle courses. Can we set up a "common" drive amongst certain Moodle users?

I hope that what I'm thinking, is what the person who informed me of this feature, meant!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Gray

Re: Moodle repositories and mapped drives

by Mark Schumann -

Sorry I don't have a solution but I'd be very interested in this as well.

In reply to David Gray

by Mark Williams -

I had this working in moodle 1.9 with the webdav patch.  I set up a common webdav folder, staff could map drives in explorer to the webdav server and moodle would also link to the webdav server. This worked inside school and outside school.

However, although moodle 2.0 has native webdav support I have not yet been able to get webdav working within moodle (ticket submitted).  I cannot even get webdav to work within moodle from the sabre webdav public site (it should be noted that staff and pupils still use the same webdav access from home from the same server we always have done - it is basic authentication via SSL only).

Once I have cracked webdav in moodle 2.0 I will be a happy bunny as that means I can manipulate dynamic content from normal mapped drives.

In reply to Mark Williams

by Mark Williams -

Not an ideal solution but since I cannot get the internal file picker working within moodle (for webdav) I have done the following:

I have an internal webdav server (in IIS7).  The authentication is basic and allows SSL only.  Outside of moodle people can log onto this site via the following similar link:

https://mywebdav.net:8080/staffshare1

https://mywebdav.net:8080/staffshare2

In IE8 they get a basic file listing (since MS decided to remove the webdav support from IE7/8 - the horrors!).  If staff want to manipulate the data they can map a drive to the above share. 

This all works because ive been doing it for over a year now.  However, if I want to link a resource into moodle the staff need to RIGHT CLICK on an item from their webbrowser and copy this link into moodle.

i.e. the moodle link will be a HTML link to

https://mywebdav.net:8080/staffshare1/directory8/mydocument.doc

Not ideal but a workaround for the time being.  This also allows dynamic linking (as long as the filename isnt changed on the mapped drive of course!)

Internal a person can either navigate the naturally shared drive from "my computer" or they can READ ONLY the file from moodle.  Externally they can map a drive at home to the webdav for readwrite - according to their NTFS permissions - (I have a batch file and a VBS to do this automatically for them) or use a READ ONLY link in moodle.