Automating Backups for Users

Automating Backups for Users

by David Morgan -
Number of replies: 4

Hello,

I've been asked to help out with the backing up of course data on our Moodle site. 

As far as I'm aware we already run a regular full site back up but we need to be able to quickly restore courses or data within them.

While I muck about with the 'USB Moodle' stick I've been given I thought I'd ask what the best way to do this is?

Tutors are already busy enough without having to try and remember to do this (and some are either confused by it or don't think it is their job, which is fair enough)

I also like the idea of the automated backup because I can get it to put stuff elsewhere.

My question is - which is easier to restore single courses (or files?) from the automated backup or a full backup?

Thank you.

David.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Morgan

Re: Automating Backups for Users

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi David
Depending on your automated backup, the file will contain the same information as an individual course backup anyway. The restore process works the same regardless of which you choose, although the automated site backup zip files are normally stored in a different place on the Moodle server so are not easy to access for teachers.
I hope this makes sense & is helpful!
Cheers
Teresa
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by David Morgan -

Hello,

It makes sense and is indeed helpful.

I'm going to try use the automatic backup to a seperate NAS box (I think the users are too busy to remember to back up often) and give them a link if they need to restore anything.

Thank you.

David.

In reply to David Morgan

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi David
and give them a link if they need to restore anything.
Depending on where you store the backups (we store ours on the same server but OUTSIDE the webroot) you may not want to provide a link. I would also be wary of letting others restore - they may make a bigger mess! I would be inclined to restore the course for them smile

Good luck!
Cheers
Teresa
edited to add the fancy blockquote style!
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by David Morgan -

Ah, you and your fancy block quotations! smile

Yeah....doing the restorations for them might be better. 

Thank you.