Moodle 2.0 Backup / Restore

Moodle 2.0 Backup / Restore

by Greg Scales -
Number of replies: 0

This is an involved question, but I have to ask it.

In our current 1.9.x installations, we currently backup 1) the code [occasionally], 2) the database [mysqldump], and 3) the data contained in moodledata. The backups are stored in various places including tape.

Now, it doesn't happen very often, but occasionally someone will delete a course without making a course backup, or not include everything in the course backup, or something similar. I have to restore the sql database to another location, find the data for the course and restore that, and using the backed up code, access the site to recover the course. It's kind of a drawn out process, but reliable.

My question is, how, using the new repository file system, do I make a backup that I can later restore. The code and the database is pretty much the same, but the moodledata area has drastically changed. One (at least I don't know how to) cannot locate the data associated with a course like you used to. I'm assuming that the data in moodledata is basically pointers to where the files are actually stored, but how do I resolve those when I'm having to do a restore?

I hope the question makes sense ...

Greg

Average of ratings: -