And ANOTHER Moodle 2.0 blocks question

And ANOTHER Moodle 2.0 blocks question

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
( I promise when I have cracked this I will post all my findings to help otherssmile)

I want to put a block on each course home page in one category.
So I followed Tim's instructions from this QA forum a few months ago - here:
1. Go to the page for a course categeory. For example the miscellaneous category.
2. Add a block here, for example another HTML block.
3. Edit the block and set 'Show in subcontexts' to yes, and change the page type setting to '*', then save the form.
4. Now go to the main page of any course in this category. You should see the block.
5. Click on the block's edit icon again. This time, under the page type options, you should be able to select course-view-*. Do so.

However...when I do that, I can only see the block when I am in admin or teacher mode with the editing turned on - I can't see it under normal circumstancessad
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: And ANOTHER Moodle 2.0 blocks question

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
That sounds like a bug. In those situations, the block should appear.

Of course, a HTML block only appears when editing is off after you have edited it to contain something.
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: And ANOTHER Moodle 2.0 blocks question

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
No -it's not a bug -it was me, fortunately. I knew that you have to put something into an HTML block for it to be visible but I had actually used an RSS block and assumed that by merely editing the block title, it would appear, albeit with no feeds. It didn't. As soon as I gave it some feeds it did appear - smile