Paper on reducing plagiarism in forum discussions

Paper on reducing plagiarism in forum discussions

A. T. Wyatt -
Number of replies: 2
I found this paper to be extremely helpful with respect to reducing plagiarism in forum discussions. The author presents 7 strategies for designing and facilitating discussions that minimize the likelihood that students will copy and paste responses to discussion prompts.

http://jolt.merlot.org/vol5no2/olt_0609.htm

via Mary Bart (Facultyfocus on twitter) http://twitter.com/facultyfocus/statuses/2931282480

Considering how important discussions are in online courses, you may find this paper useful.

atw

Ngā whakawākanga toharite: -
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

Re: Paper on reducing plagiarism in forum discussions

Don Hinkelman -
Pikitia o Particularly helpful Moodlers Pikitia o Plugin developers
Very useful article, A.T. You may want to place that link in Moodle Docs under a category such as plagiarism.

In Moodle, another strategy to prevent plagiarism is to make a two-stage forum discussion. In your forum settings, choose the forum type called "Q and A Forum". This forces students to answer first before seeing other student answers. That would not prevent copying from other sources, but it might force some independent thought before a more interactive discussion begins.
In reply to Don Hinkelman

Re: Paper on reducing plagiarism in forum discussions

John Andrewartha -
G'Day,
I found the referenced article interesting but, traditional. We are endeavoring to force the student into our mold with out explanation. If the students experience of discussion boards (forum's) is grounded in the social networks then, we are observing the simple techniques used there into an academic environment.

If our use of discussion is to develop higher cognitive activity. I.E. Read, think & form opinion we, may need to consider that as the article pointed out "ask the right questions."
We may also need to reinforce the differences between social and academic discussion.
Plagiarism is always a major issue and, again have we given sufficient instruction on citation and reinforced it. Citing work is valid in a discussion as a discussion point or to reinforce an opinion.
This of course is only my humble opinion.
John