[Teachers] Define standard tags for your courses into Moodle.org directory

[Teachers] Define standard tags for your courses into Moodle.org directory

par Jérôme Mouneyrac,
Nombre de réponses : 6
Hi,
at Moodle, we're working on a Moodle.org courses directory. This web directory will display a link to your courses (if you set your courses as public into the next 2.0 Moodle version).

We need a standard tag list in order to describe the registered courses into Moodle.org. Courses will be searchable by these tags, so they are important.

These standard tags would be shown under a hierarchy like:
- Science
-- Maths
-- Physics
- Sport
- Lanugage
-- English
-- French

At this moment we have ... nothing sourire We do not want to be exhaustive, we want to focus on the most common teaching areas. I guess if we could limit this list to 50 tags/subtags it would be good.

If you'd like to participate to the standard tag list creation, don't hesitate to post your tag list or favorite standard tags in this discussion. Any comments are also welcome to be posted.

I'll update this Moodle docs page: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Course_Standard_Tags

Thanks,
Jerome
Moyenne des évaluations  -
En réponse à Jérôme Mouneyrac

Re: [Teachers] Define standard tags for your courses into Moodle.org directory

par Martin Dougiamas,
Avatar Core developers Avatar Documentation writers Avatar Moodle HQ Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Plugin developers Avatar Testers
And if anyone knows of a suitable international standard for classifying curriculum please let let us know.

Perhaps the "fields of education" list here:

http://www.unesco.org/education/information/nfsunesco/doc/isced_1997.htm

En réponse à Martin Dougiamas

par Eloy Lafuente (stronk7),
Avatar Core developers Avatar Documentation writers Avatar Moodle HQ Avatar Peer reviewers Avatar Plugin developers Avatar Testers
Definitively the UNESCO 3-level classification is a good one (it covers subjects with detailed coverage with its 2/4/6 digits levels), it's well-known and used and those codes are perfect (standard) to be used everywhere.

My only concern is that I remember some discussions time ago about it lacking some important knowledge areas (it sound to me, for example, the lack of support for Physical Education subjects, for example, not 100% sure tough).

Perhaps we can expand it to use those missing subjects (99xxxx) if necessary... but that will break the official classification.

Also, I wanted to point about the GEM classification system (http://www.thegateway.org/about/documentation/gem-controlled-vocabularies/vocabulary-subject) perhaps not being so "universal" but, in practice, it has a good (and simpler) coverage of subjects (I didn't get objections from people when I asked about it some time ago).

Negatively, it hasn't proper "codes" for each subject, but well, that can be easily addressed by using something like the "english lowercased name" as code. In fact that will help other systems because those subjects will be human-readable no matter if the target system doesn't know anything about GEM.

Finally we could opt-in to support multiple classification systems at the same time, in fact not all them are about "matters" but can be about other criteria, say difficulty, or audience or whatever (anything not having a related element in the DC specs is susceptible to be classified by multiple different criteria).

But that's another thing. Exclusively talking about "matter" classifications, I think my +1 goes to GEM and my +0.5 to UNESCO.

Ciao sourire
Moyenne des évaluations Useful (2)
En réponse à Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

par Jérôme Mouneyrac,
Great link Eloy sourire I really like the "only two levels" of the GEM list. However I found the UNESCO more complete than the GEM.

My +1 would go to the UNESCO (but I'm not a teacher sourire)

par Jérôme Mouneyrac,
I wrote a "beta" list (http://docs.moodle.org/en/Course_Standard_Tags) following Martins advice. It should be a good start to help anybody to define what could be missing, could be wrong or good sourire

par Martin Dougiamas,
Avatar Core developers Avatar Documentation writers Avatar Moodle HQ Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Plugin developers Avatar Testers
En réponse à Martin Dougiamas

par David Mudrák,
Avatar Core developers Avatar Documentation writers Avatar Moodle HQ Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Peer reviewers Avatar Plugin developers Avatar Plugins guardians Avatar Testers Avatar Translators
Just a small note - using plain integer keys as in $string['120199'] is malicious. We do various operations with strings and things like array_merge() would break such taxonomy. Note that according the new coding style guides for strings, string identifier must be valid PHP and JS identifiers, so basically some prefix_120199 would be fine.
Moyenne des évaluations Useful (1)