Chemistry and moodle

Chemistry and moodle

av Frank Sherman -
Antal svar: 4
I am trying to set up moodle to use as a chemistry resource. I need to be able to write chemical formulas using subscripts. Any idea how to do this as it does not appear in the format fonts menu?

I also have a number of files, tests, worksheets done using microsoft word. Again how do I import these into tests, lessons etc . I have tried saving in html format, but have had limited success.
Medeltalet av utvärderingarna: -
Som svar till Frank Sherman

Re: Chemistry and moodle

av Marc Grober -
yes-I suggest asciimath and there are a number of lengthy discussions regarding this application in the math forum

Re ms word- dump it, get openoffice, use openoffice to convert your docs to odt, get the XHTML-xml macros and then convert to XHTML+XML

av Rino Vincenti Hagn -

how are you with excel ?

what i do is convert everything into fill in the blank or multiple choice or combinations of both

i put the html formulas of both types of questions in excel.  then just fill out the text that surrounds the question. answer questions. then import into moodle.

av Russell Waldron -

About Word: I see many indicators (commercial, legal, technical, and functional) that Microsoft do not intend for it to be used with other products.

One workaround is to use a picture of the beautiful layout you created in Word: 

1. Save your document as a PDF file (or select text and Print to PDF file if you want just part of it), 
  2. Copy from the PDF file in your PDF reader, 
  3. Create a New file from clipboard in an image editor, and save it
  4. Insert the image in the editor in Moodle.