Important role inconsistency between guest and auth. user role

Important role inconsistency between guest and auth. user role

על ידי David Bogner בתאריך
מספר תגובות: 0
תמונה של Core developers תמונה של Plugin developers
Hi,

the hierachical order of guest role and user role is very inconsistent and should be changed.
The auth. user should be above the guest in the hierarchy, because the user identified himself and is not anonymous anymore.

The role model as it works right now between auth. user and guest is not useful and produces strange moodle behaviour (explained in following example):

A database for exchanging moodle-ressources is an a course with lots of databases and other moodle ressources. I want this course to be accessible by everyone so that without login everyone can get the ressources for free.
Adding ressources should only be done by auth. users, because we trust them and they are not anonymous (copyright issues). Following inconsistency occurs:

In order to have an auth. user to be able to add an database entry I have to override both roles (auth. user and guest). Just overriding auth. user does not work, because the auth. user is considered as a guest automatically when he is in a course. But now guests also can see the "Add entry" tab of the database (even if the guest can't add an entry). So there are several problems:
  1. I set the guest role to allow to add an entry, but don't want that I guest is able to do that. Even if a guest is allowed to add an entry, he can't (Test it yourself http://www.edumoodle.at/edulab/mod/data/view.php?id=6451). For me that's excellent, because this would be a risk for us. But it is inconsistent: set to allow and still the guest is not allowed)
  2. The auth. user should be able to add an entry without overriding the guest role
The solution for the problem:
Abolish the auth. user role, replace it with auth. guest role and place it in the hierarchy over the guest role.

Rollen Beschreibung Änderungen
Administrator Administrators can usually do anything on the site, in all courses. 0
Course creator Course creators can create new courses and teach in them. 0
Teacher Teachers can do anything within a course, including changing the activities and grading students. 0
Non-editing teacher Non-editing teachers can teach in courses and grade students, but may not alter activities. 0
Student Students generally have less privileges within a course. 0
Authenticated guest All logged in users. They are generally considered as guests, but are allowed to enter text in some cases.
Guest Guests have minimal privileges and usually can not enter text anywhere. 0

What do you think about this inconsistency and the solution? You can find the described problem under following link http://www.edumoodle.at/edulab/mod/data/view.php?id=6451
You will see that you are allowed to add an entry as guest, but can't add an entry. Only auth. users can do that. So the role model has to be revised for those two roles.

Sould someone make a report in the tracker?

Yours,
David
ממוצע דרוגים: -