using google analytics to segment user stats

using google analytics to segment user stats

ved Cathal O'Riordan -
Antal besvarelser: 9
Billede af Core developers
Hi,

I'd like to use Google Analytics within our moodle instance to track stats. on various user segments. One example would be to track users accessing moodle who are logged in against users who are not logged in. Does anyone have any experience in doing something like this?

regards,
Cathal.
Gennemsnitsbedømmelse: -
I svar til Cathal O'Riordan

Re: using google analytics to segment user stats

ved Colin Matheson -
The statistics feature in Moodle does this quite well. You can also add Google Analytics code to the footer of your theme.
I svar til Colin Matheson

ved Rebecca Ragland -
So I can track the time any member (student) has spent on the site? One of the requirements for this course is that the student spend 10 hours on the study materials before taking the exam. That would be awesome smiler
I svar til Colin Matheson

ved zdenko potocar -

Colin,
how can you do that?

How can you open thema and add code.
Do you need same tool to open thema?

Zdenko

ved Michael Penney -
Google analytics doesn't track usernames or other personal info - part of their privacy policy. It's a great tool for getting aggregate stats on which pages are most popular, how users move through a site, etc. But it's not meant to gather stats by named individual.

What you are looking for is better done with a custom report that aggregates the user's access times for different activities in the course. If you need a really accurate time in course (for state/federal requirements, etc.), a custom 'heartbeat' tool that checks that the student is actually viewing the page/content is also recommended.
I svar til Michael Penney

ved Rebecca Ragland -
Thanks, that is very helpful. I understand about Google Analytics so I think you are right there for sure. I am having a problem creating courses. I am going to have to go a lot more reading. smiler I can create course no problem, but to add content for students to access other than uploading files I am stuck smiler I will figure it out - I hope smiler

ved Rebecca Ragland -
I would like to know where to get that "heartbeat" tool, but from what I am seeing I can track a user's time on the site pretty well unless it does not make a log of subsequent visits.

ved zdenko potocar -

Michael,
Custom report in moodle is ok for make anylize in Excel. But it's take time to do that.

Maybe is some tool to do that automaticly. What do you think?

I svar til zdenko potocar

ved Michael Penney -
We've built an integration with Jasper Reports that is part of our ELIS add-on suite for Moodle, which provides a very nice real-time analysis of a number of data points in Moodle. I've worked on other projects where folks pull in data to report on in tools like Salesforce, Crystal Reports, etc. Generally, more expensive than a dump to csv/xls, but much nicer for realtime data dashboards, 'gas gauges', etc.

ved zdenko potocar -

Hi Cathal, Colin, Rebecca, Michael

I have similar problems. I like to get same statistisc data about using our moodle.

I like to get:
upload and download (MB) for each course and total
- number of hits for each course. (To know wich course is more popular.)
- number of hit for each teacher. (To know who is using oodle mand who is not.)
- and ....

Is possible that this informations (statistics data) will appear automatically each morning on our moodle site?

Best regards, Zdenko