could not restore categories and questions

could not restore categories and questions

by smrithi puli -
Number of replies: 12

When I restore a course, it gives me "could not restore categories and questions". I have read a discussion here in the forums and found that this may be due to multianswer questions. They have asked to backup the course by first deleting the multi answered questions from the quiz. But this cannot be applied if all the questions are multi answer questions.

Please help....... There is also a fix in MDL14725 which I am trying to test now.

In the meanwhile, is there workaround to restore the quizzes????

Please help.... this is urgent!!!!!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to smrithi puli

Re: could not restore categories and questions

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
MDL-14725 does not seem to have anything to do with backing up questions. (Though I did not read every comment!)

I think I did fix a bug like this last week MDL-17970.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by smrithi puli -

We applied the MDL-14725 fix and tried to backup-restore a course. Now the course gets restored without any error. But when we back up the course, the course does not include the questions from quizzes as a result of which I get the "No questions found" in quiz section when I restore the course.

Please help...

By the way, I applied MDL-17970 after the MDL-14725 was applied. But the backup-restore does not show any improvement

PLease help with this

In reply to smrithi puli

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If you unzip the backup file, and look in the moodle.xml, can you confirm that the questions are really not there. (That will help us know for sure whether it is a backup or a restore problem.)

I still don't have a way to test on MS SQL myself, so that makes these problems difficult to investigate. Can you turn on Debugging and try at backup/restore again, and paste any additional error message here. Thanks.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by smrithi puli -
I will look into the inputs you require. In the meantime, can you please clarify one thing for me? The fix mentioned in mdl-17970 is for 1.9.3 version or 1.9.4 version only?
In reply to smrithi puli

by Tim Hunt -
The fix is included in Moodle 1.9.4, which was just released.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by smrithi puli -

Yeah.... But if I apply the same fix to 1.9.3, will it work??

In reply to smrithi puli

by Tim Hunt -
It should do.

(In each case, you need to inspect the changes to see if they rely on other changes that were made since the version you have was released. In this case, the changes to fix the bug are very self-contained.)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by smrithi puli -

I am sorry.... actually the version we use is 1.9.2. Will this fix work on that? I am applying the fix..... Will let you know if it is working or not?

By the way, I looked into moodle.xml file and there were no questions in that.

In reply to smrithi puli

by smrithi puli -

I have applied the fix mentioned in MDL-17970. Now the questions do backup and the restoring is also successful.

At last, this is solved. Thanks Tim..

In reply to smrithi puli

by smrithi puli -

Well, I dint observe this before. Now the problem is that the questions do backup and restore properly.

But the multiple response questions do not get restored. Is there any solution to this one?

I get the following message at the place where these questions should be displayed:

The number of random questions required is more than are still available in the category!

Can you help me out so that I can remove this message and get the multiple response questions get restored and backed up properly ???

In reply to smrithi puli

by Tim Hunt -
I'm confused because you refer to multiple response questions, but then the error message talks about random questions.
In reply to smrithi puli

by R. Calderon -
The only time I have had that warning is when I was setting up a quiz and I asked for 10 random questions and only had 7 questions left that were not in use in that category. So during the quiz students received that error message. To fix it I just reduced the number of random questions. However if your quiz is all random questions, then you need to have enough questions to fill in the number of questions you requested.