Stages of using Moodle

Re: Stages of using Moodle

by Art Lader -
Number of replies: 12
Hi, Greg,

I think you mean this:

Progression

Moodle needs to be flexible to cater for a wide variety of needs while remaining simple enough for ordinary teachers to start making good use of the power of the internet for community building and collaborative learning. My hope is that Moodle can be seen as a toolbox where they can start simply and naturally, and then progress to more and more advanced community facilitation over time. Ultimately, we'd like to see teachers being involved with and supported by a community of their peers.

Let's look at a typical progression that a teacher might go through as they learn to use the Moodle tools:

1. Putting up the handouts (Resources, SCORM)
  2. Having a passive forum
  3. Using Quizzes and Assignments (less management)
  4. Using the Wiki, Glossary and Database tools (interactive content)
  5. Using the Forum seriously and actively
  6. Combining activities into sequences, where results feed later activities
  7. Think deeper about each activity, advanced features, unusual applications
  8. Using the Survey module to study and reflect on course activity
  9. Using peer-review modules like Workshop
  10. Conducting active research on oneself, sharing ideas in a community of peers
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Pedagogy#Progression

It's wonderful, isn't it? smile

Hope that helps.

-- Art

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Art Lader

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks Art!

This rough progression obviously will vary for different people and is not yet based on any quantitative research. It was mostly intended as a way to help people think about where they are and what they might be doing. I use the list in my presentations to enable me to talk about a bunch of important things about Moodle.

Wendy Meyer from University of Wollongong started this after the Brisbane moot:

http://eteachingpd.wikispaces.com/
http://eteachingpd.wikispaces.com/The+PD+Plan

as a place to develop this sort of sequence further into a framework for professional development. I think this would be terrific.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Greg Egan -
Thanks everyone, that's just what I needed.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Paul Ganderton -
Hi Martin,

I've been introducing Moodle into all my courses (years 9-12, NSW High School). I've also been carrying out some informal useability research with these groups. I get a pattern which I must write up/research more which suggests that students in different years "see" Moodle differently. So, my year 9s head for the gradebook which means they can get their marks without having to show others (avoids adverse comments by colleagues). Year 10 go for more information and like assignments but won't really go deeper than that. Year 11 start to contribute ideas to their Moodle and become more interactive. Year 12 are full on with Wikis, fora etc. often correcting my work before I know I've made a mistake!

Question. Does anyone else have this experience or is it just an artefact of the way I've developed Moodle? I had no preconceptions about the courses, they just developed that way. It seems to fit in with ideas of brain/cognitive development but I need the deeper research to check this out.
In reply to Paul Ganderton

by Chris Shamburg -
Your experience seems to correlate with stages of epistemic cognition--where students move from viewing knowledge as concrete and absolute to more ambiguous, flexible and collaborative. Perry did a lot of work on this in the 60s, but the best overview of current research on this is in the book Personal Epistemology by Hofer and Pintrich. It's a fascinating read.

by Martín Langhoff -
Hi Paul

- interesting! What techniques are you using to get them into using Moodle? I'm working on a slightly custom moodle for OLPC, targetting the 6-to-12 age group.

Part of what I'm interested in is the wider narrative in which you include Moodle. For example, teachers in Uruguay and Peru are starting to use the XO laptop as part of wider activities.

I'm trying to locate the PDF of one of them to post it, it's a nice activity idea called "Journalist XO" (Periodista XO) where the kid is asked to pick a bit of local news around his/her house or community, write a bit of local news (here they get to learn about the basic rules of news writing), try and get a picture of it, edit it a bit, and then share it with their class. Right now the sharing is usign the XO's sharing system, but now that they are starting to get Moodle in the school server, I imagine that the logical next step is to "publish" it in Moodle, and perhaps review your peers' stories.

This kind of wider activity -- where moodle and in general the computer is just one part of a larger process -- is what I am looking for more of...
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Paul Ganderton -
Hi Martin,

Thanks for your interest. I was not quite sure what you were looking for so I checked out your web sites (explaining the delay in replying!). Hopefully this should help:

I'm not using any one avenue for this. It's very much a holistic approach. There are several reasons for this. I'm learning Moodle as I use it to teach students so it's very pragmatic in that sense. I'm one of only a handful of users so there's little institutional backup or research. Students are, universally I think, wary of anything new and need to be brought into the system and ideally come to own it (hence my post and the reply about epistemologies - many thanks).

Enough for the background, how do I get people into Moodle?:

a) immersive experience: All my courses run through Moodle and so any student wanting to get more information will need to use it. It's graded according to year but the basic assumption is there;

b) pedagogically: Moodle does not replace the teacher but it puts the teacher in a new role. Allowing for latitude in definitions, I use blended delivery. Everything I do offline I do in moodle. This allows for students who miss/lose work to catch up. It allows them to find more work. Importantly, Moodle allows (and expects in senior years) a collaborative input. This allows the student to "own" their course, suggest input, comment etc. This has been the hardest part of the work. I find Australian students less ready to work with staff than I did in my UK life;

c) I'm a bit sceptical about the 'digital native' concept. Given that, I'm a car native and should have been entered for the Bathurst 1000 at age 6! Students are born with ICT but it's not genetic. Therefore at the top of my courses I have 2 icons: learner and provisional (following the car theme). Each year is different but the basic theme is the same: learners get a 2 page document showing them the basic features of Moodle as it pertains to their course (which I call Moodle4n00bs); provisionals get a more advanced set of ideas about how to stretch their learning with Moodle (PowerMoodle - quaint I know but it makes them laugh and that's half the battle);

d) Useability studies/discussions: I pepper all courses with my email address, forums, help desks and anything else I can think of to get feedback on the use and design of moodle (and also, of course, course feedback). Everything sent is acted upon where it is an improvement;

e) Walking the walk: it's easy to talk Moodle but I also try to demonstrate it. I get asked to give presentations on Moodle, do some training, mention Moodle in most lessons. In othe words my students know that it's a real part of my worklife and not just something I'm doing because everyone else is (virtually the opposite sadly).

I hope this has helped. Feel free to ask something specific. All my courses are still works in progess but I've set the HSC (yr12) course to open as it's often used to show an example. The link should be here (then log in as guest). Feedback welcomed.

Cheers,

Paul

PS - I came across this link - it might help

Re:Stages (Inviting user feedback)

by Jeff Forssell -
I see that you too are very into getting feedback from students.

In my pre-moodle life I strived to build-in inviting feedback links on every page and interactive question. Unfortunately it's not as easy to do that in Moodle as it is now. I'm working on a specification for including a feedback system in Moodle. I'd be very happy if you could take a look and give suggestions (it is in the Docs Wiki so feel free to write into it!)
In reply to Jeff Forssell

Re:Stages (Inviting user feedback)

by Paul Ganderton -
Feedback is essential if we are to engage the modern student. They get a sense of ownership and I get some great ideas to make my Moodle look better. I'd just finshed one page, felt pleased but was very soon told it had too much text and "why couldn't I do the swirling icons like on iPhone and Mac!" Great, now I need to learn Flash as well as Moodle!

Seriously, I'd be delighted to look at your pages and hope to contribute. Give me a few days - the people here do insist I do some teaching!

by ben reynolds -
Just a short note to say that we use Moodle for Grades 2+ (age about 7+) and provide virtually no instruction in how to use it, nothing like the 30+ pages of tech manual we provided for WebCT.

For the assignment activity, we say (paraphrasing), "Upload your .doc file."

For forums, we say, "Click on a topic below. To comment, click 'reply' in the lower right hand corner of the message."

We get no more than 1 or 2 totally tech unsavvy students per term (about 1,000 students).

IMHO, the best aspect of Moodle is that users literally fall down the page through the curriculum, start to finish. The WebCT metaphor was always stepping sideways to go somewhere (& getting lost).

by Paula Clough -

Martin,

Publishing the stories in Moodle would be a great idea... I have done some similar things with student projects... it's a lot of fun and very interesting...

Have you checked out some of the courses in the course exchange to get an idea of how others are using the Moodle courses? 

Paula C

by Martín Langhoff -

by Tabitha Parker (was Roder) -
Thanks for sharing that, good to see a government that are doing something tangible for furthering the education of their next generation.