Moodle Administrator / PHP Developer at Dawson College
REPLACEMENT POSITION: ISIT-436
Classification: Data Processing (Computer) Technician, Principal Class
Department: Information Systems & Technology
Supervisor: Coordinator IT Solutions
Schedule: Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Workload: Full-time, 35 hours per week
Salary: $24.00 to $31.53 per hour
Contract Dates: September 2014 to April 2015
NATURE OF WORK
Located in the heart of downtown Montreal, Quebec, Canada in a
historic building on 12 acres of green space, Dawson College is one of
the largest colleges in the province of Quebec. With the widest variety
of program choices among English language colleges,
the College is a reflection of Montreal's unique character by virtue of
the cultural and ethnic diversity of its students, staff and faculty.
As a public sector institution, Dawson offers its employees generous
working conditions and benefits and an opportunity
to contribute to the future of our society.
The principal and customary work of the employee in this employment class consists in assuming duties of network administrator of the college, carrying out highly technical duties and developing various computer programs intended for the processing of data from systems whose specifications have been established by himself or the analyst.
In addition, the incumbent will carry out specialized technical work of a complex nature in which a sense of creativity, communication ability and a freedom of action are required. The Pedagogical Support Technician will work with Information Systems and Technology to develop, deploy and support web applications for the college. The technician will also work with the Office of Instructional Development to operate, improve and expand pedagogical applications in the College. The technician will be responsible for managing, customizing, upgrading and supporting such pedagogical applications in the College.
• Install and configure pedagogical applications, such as Course Management Systems (CMS)
• Monitor and ensure good performance of these systems
• Manage the systems, including account management
• Oversee development and maintenance of hardware related to these systems and make recommendations as appropriate
• Maintain communication with suppliers, advising and recommending new versions, revisions or any changes to the procedures or systems
• Work with department and services to assist troubleshooting users with technical enquiries
• Work with the servers team to ensure integration with the network and security
• Support the Office of Instructional Development with the IT aspects of College pedagogical planning College Web Development
• Develop, deploy and support college web applications.
• Provide web development expertise to team members
Perform other related tasks as required
To hold a CEGEP diploma in an appropriate speciality or a diploma or attestation of studies that is recognized as equivalent by the College and have at least four (4) year experience as a data processing technician in a similar situation.
Strong experience with:
• PHP object oriented programming and administration skills using revision control software like Git, Subversion, or Mercurial
• MySQL querying and administration
• Linux ideally with experience in a cluster environment
• Experience with Open Source and LAMP applications
• Experience with CMS such as Moodle and FirstClass an asset
• Self-motivated team player and problem solver, the candidate will be able to multitask and assist in all areas of the system development lifecycle
• Ability to acquire required skills in programming languages, operating systems and third party software without sustained support.
• Good interpersonal skills, with an approach to customer service appropriate to an academic setting
• Excellent communication skills in English and basic knowledge of French
Please include a cover letter with your application, addressed to Derek Gaucher, email@example.com.