We are non-profit vocational education provider and have been using Moodle to deliver a large part of our core curriculum for several years.
We recently ran into an issue with just 1 of our course activity modules, after upgrading all our assignments to the latest format. Essentially what happened is a duplicate of the assignment was created, and we are now unable to delete or edit the settings of either one of these instances. This has caused significant issues for anyone attempting to access either of these activity modules. They are unable to be graded or otherwise updated, except with homework submissions. When we attempt to grade, delete, or otherwise modify these activities, we get the following error: "multiple records found, only one expected"
We have spent quite some time trying to resolve this ourselves, have already worked with 1 contractor on an open hourly basis without success, and have posted a forum thread as well, that unfortunately did not receive much attention:
Although the reason for the failed upgrade is not mentioned in that forum thread, it was due to commented assignments on students no longer enrolled in the course. This was documented and resolved in this issue report:
This allowed us to upgrade the assignment, but then we ran into this new issue. I don't know if this original issue is related and somehow responsible for this new problem; it does seem coincidental if not.
In any case we are at a stand-still on this problem and need someone to resolve it. This will be done on a contract basis, with a fixed scope of work on this issue. We are able to budget approximately $250 for the fix at this time, though we are open to some amount of negotiation based on an estimate of hours, if it seems like it is otherwise unsolvable.
Thank you for your consideration, we look forward to hearing from you.
Director of Technology
Entry added by Oshyan Greene
- Friday, 26 July 2013, 5:34 AM
Last updated - Friday, 26 July 2013, 5:34 AM