Moodle IDE Release (1.0.1)

Moodle IDE Release (1.0.1)

by Grady Laksmono -
Number of replies: 7
Hi Moodlers!
I'm Grady Laksmono, and I'm working for Moodle IDE project in the Google Summer of Code 2008 program. Now, I would like to gain more feedbacks, comments, and suggestions, so please let me know what do you think and your experience with it.

Moodle IDE 1.0.1
http://download.moodle.org/download.php/ide/Moodle-IDE_1_0_1.zip

There's a huge automation improvement in this version compared to the previous version (1.0.0).

Thank you for all of your supports and constructive feedbacks!

Regards,
Grady Laksmono
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Grady Laksmono

Re: Moodle IDE Release (1.0.1)

by Gary Anderson -
Grady:

I downloaded 1.0.1, but I am still stuck with the existing instructions. And I am familar with both Moodle and Eclipse on Windows machines.

In your README file, it says:

1. Run eclipse.exe (Done -- but you should probably suggest that people unzip your download and put the directory on the top level of the C drive. Also, you don't tell people where to find eclipse.exe).

2. YOU HAVE TO USE DEFAULT WORKSPACE IN ORDER TO NOT HAVE TO SETUP VIRTUAL HOST (Your default workspace is C:\Users\Grady Laksmono\Desktop\GSoC\Moodle-IDE\xampp\htdocs. I doubt that is what we want. I assume that you want to use to navigate to \xampp\htdocs)

3. File --> New --> Project (When I go to File->New->Project, I don't get a Moodle option. I do get it when I got to File->New->Other...)

4. Moodle --> Moodle Project (If I understand this correctly, this should be merged with step 3)

5. Browse the Moodle zip package for both XAMPP and Moodle field (There are no zip files for either XAMPP (but that is installed) and I don't see Moodle anywhere (are we suppose to download it? It does not say nor does it say which version, were to put it, etc. Why don't you just package the latest 1.9 Stable release with your distribution?)

At this point, I was not able to continue. I would suggest that you modify the instructions and then test it on a computer literate friend who is not familiar with Eclipse or Moodle and see if they can get through the instructions without help. I usually find that this can point out difficulties that would never have occurred to me before testing my written instructions.

When you have a revision or further instructions, I will give it another try.

--Gary
In reply to Gary Anderson

by Grady Laksmono -
Thank you very much Gary,

You are right for the step 2, I just realized that problem too, and I'll re upload the correct version..

For the step 5 you are correct as well, you just have to download whichever version that you want to work on. So say that you want to work on version 1.9, then you download it. I don't put it there because many people may want to work on different version, but I'm open with this one..

I'm re uploading that version with the fix for step 2 and more documentation for step 5

Thanks,
Grady

by Michael Betts -
Hi I am totally new to this but would like to have a look at this IDE.

If I already have Wampserver running for a local instance of moodle on my local machine, do I need to install another XAMMP?

Mike
In reply to Michael Betts

by Grady Laksmono -
Hi Mike,
You don't need to install anything. The only thing that you need to do is just download the package, extract them, and you're ready to go. I'm going to release the next version, that will come with checkstyle and more detailed documentation by at least the end of next week.

Thanks,
Grady

by Michael Betts -
Thanks Grady,

However, I have inzipped the files and placed the files at

C:\Moodle-IDE_1_0_1\eclipse

When I then run eclipse and try to start a new moodle project from the others.. menu I get the following error.

Problem opening wizard

The selected wizard could not be started

reason: plug-in org.moodle was unable to load class
org.moodle.wizards.MoodleWizard

Can you help please.

When you start eclipse and it asks for a workspace, should this be where your moodle instance is? My test version of 1.9 is at D:\wamp\www\moodle ?

regards

Mike

In reply to Michael Betts

by Grady Laksmono -
Hmmm... I never encountered that error before, but as far as the workspace, you should set the default workspace location if you're not planning to setup virtual host as it says on the "Readme".

The default location of the workspace is suppose to be in the htdocs folder within xampp folder that comes with the IDE.

If you don't change anything, it should be:

../xampp/htdocs

> When you start eclipse and it asks for a workspace, should this be where
> your moodle instance is?

No it's not, the workspace in this case is the root of the server. The project will be the instance of the Moodle.