assignment feedback to students on Word essays

assignment feedback to students on Word essays

by david lymn -
Number of replies: 23

It's great that students can submit their essays and that I can give them a grade as well as make a  written response.  What I would also like to do is to add comments using the Word review tool as I read a student's essay.  I would then like to save the comments thaat I made and return the essay back to moodle to replace the original document.  Can anyone help me with this?

Dave

Average of ratings: -
In reply to david lymn

Re: assignment feedback to students on Word essays

by Red Morris -

This gets my vote too. Almost every teacher I show the Assignments feature to wants this.

The other one I get asked about a lot is being able to attach a Word document to an assignment as a front sheet or template.

In reply to david lymn

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
  • I take your point on this but personally if I want to do that and all students are doing is an essay (ie nothing fancy with pictures or powerpoint) then I tend to use the 'online text' style assignment - then by choosing 'comment inline' I can correct their work in my feedback and they can see their errors. I also prefer it as it saves me the effort of having to open up Word docs!
  •  I suppose for those who want to attach a Word Doc as a template you could upload it and then hyperlink to it within the assignment text? Not particularly pretty though.
In reply to david lymn

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Dave - If I understand correctly what you are asking, it sounds like the advanced upload type which allows for a student to upload a file (in your case a word document). The teacher could then review that document, make modifications/add comments, save the corrected document and upload it to the assignment. The student would then have access to both the original document and the one with teacher comments. Let me know if that helps you accomplish what you are looking for. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by david lymn -

Thanks for the advice Anthony.  As a 3 week user, I'm a little new to the jargon, but i think I can work it out.  I'm wondering whether the particular student will be the only person who can see the new file with comments or will all participants be able to see it.

I was also thinking about adding a mail module and then sending the modified file back to the student as an attachment.  This is not so easy because my moodle is hosted by the local Department of Education and I don't have rights to modify.  I'm working on it though.

Dave lymn

In reply to david lymn

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Dave - It is good to have you as part of the Moodle community. The advanced upload file type would allow only the student who submitted the work to see the attachment that you give them. If you wanted all the course participants to be able to see the feedback you would probably have to do something with roles (which is even more advanced). Nevertheless, fear not as you have a large community of over 400,000+ users willing to help you out. Happy Moodling! Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Denise Geiser -

Hi,

I've added comments to my students papers and uploaded the new file, but my students don't have access to the document.  How do I give them access.  The only document they can see is their original.

Thanks

In reply to Denise Geiser

by ben reynolds -
Hi Denise,

Probably, you need this bit of information, quoted from our instructions to instructors.

If you upload a file, you MUST also insert a comment in the feedback box or the student won't be able to see your file.
In reply to ben reynolds

by Denise Geiser -
Thanks, but I can't find the "feedback box."  Is it possible that our version doesn't have it, or should it be there?
In reply to Denise Geiser

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
When you click "grade" or "view...submitted assignments" it's the text box that you type comments into (and at the top right it has the grade drop down) If you are using quick grading you won't see it.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by ben reynolds -
Moodle Fairy, are *you* following *me*?

More helpfully (ouch, what a phrase!), should both bits of this info be in an Advanced Uploading FAQ?

I'll go look for that beast now.
In reply to david lymn

by George Herd -
Could I also add support for this. I have students doing WP exercises (MS Word) and would like to comment, or use the track changes feature and save this back to the assignment (replacing the students original upload). It saves greatly on printing! I use a grading scheme which is achieved, not achieved(3 attempts allowed), remediation (meaning that the student has corrections to make based upon the comments entered to the original upload - an 'attempt'). The student work, or evidence, then contains a record of teacher corrections and is a useful aid to the verification process (other staff checking that the assessment process is being administered correctly). You can also use the MS Word versions feature - every 'save' actually saves a new version of the document while retaining previous versions in the same file. OK, it increases the file size, but for the exercises my students do, they are not too big anyway.
In reply to George Herd

by Mark Pearson -
The solution to this is, as Anthony Borrow suggests, to use the Activity called 'Advanced uploading of files'. This will allow you to do exactly what you want. But this feature is only present in version 1.8.x and 1.9.x of Moodle, so if you do not find it in the system you are using you may want to ask (beg, or otherwise persuade) your Moodle system administrator to upgrade the system you're using.
Mark
In reply to Mark Pearson

by Pearl Alvarez -
How can I set this up correctly. I am quite new to moodle, and while I have an idea ...since you have experience with this was wondering if you can please provide me with the settings.
In reply to Pearl Alvarez

by Kathy Morello -
Use pdf assignment and have students print their Word document to pDF Creator then upload the pdf document.  When you open the document you simplyplace your cursor where you want to type a comment and type the comment.  Student will be able to see your comments when the go back and look at their submission. 
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Kathy Morello

by Pearl Alvarez -
What I need to set up is the feedback function, so that they can see the comments. I would also prefer to use the word comments but pdf file would work also. I still need to save and reattach the document right?

by Kathy Morello -
just type your comments, choose grade from drop down, and hit save and show next.
In reply to Kathy Morello

by Pearl Alvarez -
I mean when you're setting up the assignment.

by Diane Spencer -
This looks as if it answers my questions exactly. Thank you. I'm new to this, but it's proving most useful. I have set up advanced upload assignments now and will await some responses!
In reply to Diane Spencer

by Diane Spencer -
OK. I know I'm probably being very stupid. I've set up an avanced assignment. STudents have uploaded Word Documents. I open that file and add comments to it. If I go to save, it only goes to a temporary folder. Do I have to save it to my hard drive and upload it again? That is what I'm trying to avoid doing. I'd like my version with comments to be available to them via the VLE.

by Mary Cooch -

Yes - if you are commenting on their Word document then you have to save to your hard drive and reupload in the  space provided in the Advanced uploading of files assignment. I personally find that an effort so I use the general feedback box you get with the assignment. How long are the Word essays? Could you not use the online text assignment instead and get them to type their answers straight into Moodle? If you set it to "comment inline" you can correct -cross out - highlight - on top of their answers too (although admittedly without the sophisticated track changes options you get in Word) )

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Diane Spencer -

Ah, Ok thanks. I tend to use templates for their work so they usually need a bit more than the online text assignment, though it might work in some cases. The general feedback box will work sometimes, but not if I want to remark on a specific aspect. I use comment boxes a lot. Pity, because I love the general idea of this, as it's so much quicker.

thanks again

by Kathy Morello -
Have ou tried the pdf assignment?  Students complets work in whatever format you like then print it to pdf creator (not save as pdf) and submit the pdf file to the Moodle pdf assignment. When gradinf you simply puy pointer where you want to comment and type your comment.  When student goes to graded paper they cursor over tags and see your comment.