Moodle logo

Re: Moodle logo

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 13
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks, Bryan, though I need to correct you slightly on the legal situation:

• The logo is actually not a trademark, but the word "Moodle" certainly is. I have no problems with people using the word or the logo as long as it does in fact refer to the product Moodle (or Moodle-related services).

• There is no license requirement to keep the Moodle logo or link on the front page. I could have put a copyright notice in there (which would not have been removable under the GPL) but chose not to, because I don't like it when other projects do that.

On a social level, though, Bryan is right that it's always appreciated when Moodle sites:

• Acknowledge they are using Moodle
  • Provide a link to moodle.org

I've joked before that I won't help people who don't show a Moodle link because I can never tell what software package they are using. wink

Personally I don't care how you do it. Many sites use a text link, which is fine, and others do modify the colours or the size, which is also fine. I am keenly aware and understanding of the need to make your site look as good as possible (this in itself is a great advert for Moodle! big grin)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Jeffery Watkins -
On www.nyscss.org/netspace I use a text link that says Use Your Moodle.  But, I did that theme before the current logo was available.  I think all of my other themes are using the standard logo.

I always liked the Use Your Moodle tagline though....approve

Jeff

by W Page -
Hi Bryan, Martin and Everyone else, smile

Maybe a "Moodle Link & Button Gallery" could be added to the future "Moodle Theme Gallery". so folks could fully display their artistic abilities. big grin

If one does not want to use the Moodle button, a link something like the following would be nice to ackowledge the "free" Moodle software one is using. .

powered by

Martin's view is very generous.  You should see the "footer" required by phpNuke on every page.  I think it is OK software but it makes every page look a bit "ugly" .  It can only be removed if you pay for the software.

WP1

by N Hansen -
 I want to give credit where credit is due but the orange color simply does not fit in with my theme (almost entirely blue shades and white). I downloaded the Moodle logo and changed the oranges to blues in Photoshop and will use that instaed. See attached.
Attachment moodlelogo.gif
In reply to N Hansen

by W Page -
Blue Logo is cute.

Is it OpenSource? smile

WP1

In reply to W Page

by N Hansen -
Well, I can give you the "source code"-i.e. the instructions how to change the color of the logo, using Photoshop. Open the logo in Photoshop and from the Image menu, choose adjustments, and then replace color. Move the fuzziness all the way to the right, and check "image." Then use the transform sliders below to make the logo whatever color you want. Only the "Moodle" will be affected, the hat and border and background being black and white will not change.

I've got another question though. I want to add some text above the Moodle logo on my home page saying "This site built with" but since it appears only on the main page, I'm not quite sure how to do this. Obviously it isn't something in the header.html file. Where is it?

And if anyone can read my message I already posted about the search box color problem, I would appreciate it. It doesn't seem to only affect the bar at the top, but any search box or button in the entire theme, excluding the java drop down menus. I've basically finished my theme and this is the one outstanding problem I need to solve. Many thanks to anyone who can help me with it.
In reply to N Hansen

by W Page -
Hi N Hansen!

Thank you for sharing the Photoshop information.  I have already bookmarked it.

WP1
In reply to N Hansen

by C. J. Turner -

How do I get the changed logo into the site? 

In reply to C. J. Turner

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Christopher,

Right click on the Moodle logo and you should see the path. Normally it is in the pix-folder of your site. Replace it with your changed logo. You have to do this with every Moodle upgrade.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by Where's Wally -
Martin

I was under the impression the word moodle can only be used by official moodle partners. We are currently training internally aproximately 150 staff but are unable to use the moodle name on the training guide is that correct?

Cheers

Mitch
In reply to Where's Wally

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi Mitchell,

I think the post to which you have replied contains the answer i.e. it's OK.

Απάντηση: Re: Moodle logo

by Σπύρος Ζαφειρόπουλος -
Well in Greece I have noticed some violations about the usage of the Moodle logo and I would like to know where can someone report it.

I would also like to know if someone gains money from a moodle installation souldn't he be obliged to refer that it is based on Moodle?

Check this link: http://elearn.kedke.gr/moodle/ and tell me if everything is ok.
In reply to Σπύρος Ζαφειρόπουλος

Re: Απάντηση: Re: Moodle logo

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi,

Please report possible violations about the usage of the Moodle logo to the Moodle.com Helpdesk.

If someone makes money from their moodle installation, they are not obliged to mention that they're using moodle. Please see the Moodle license for more details.