Tuesday Code Reviews

Tuesday Code Reviews

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 36
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
In Moodle HQ we were talking about ways to increase the quality of the stable branches. The problem is that even with review in the tracker mistakes occasionally get into the stable branch (simply because of the urgency of fixing bugs sometimes).

This is the plan at the moment:

1) Add a new tag across the stable branch called something like MOODLE_19_REVIEWED (to start with it would be the same as MOODLE_19_STABLE)

2) Once a week (currently we're thinking Tuesday) all developers stop coding and spend the day (or as long as it takes) to review and test new STABLE code from the past week and bump the MOODLE_19_REVIEWED flag on those files in CVS when finished. We'll also update bug status from Resolved to Closed at the same time.

3) The download page will feature the latest stable packages from Wednesday as the ones likely to be the best possible version available. I may even stop putting up dailies and put up weekly builds instead.

Does any one have any more ideas about this? Unless there's any serious objections / alterations to this I intend to start this from next Tuesday.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Tuesday Code Reviews

by Andy Tagliani -
G´day Martin

Yes, yes, yes! I would say, all 14 days if i search the issue tracker. This takes away the pressure from the main developer, the problems are not the core files, the problems - this is my meaning - i jump on your site, the quality management. Some examples:

I post a bug, six big moodle installation with more than 30.000 user, their moodle admins upgrade to 1.9 have the problem, they cannot restore the frontpage course. How long do you mean should i wait ta ask again? I cannot wait Martin, they jump and wink for help, all i can do is create a new comment! This is a bad scenario for all. I mean i´m sure you understand that the schools a very unhappy with this situation

- MDL-10708 (Open since August 07)
- MDL-13897 (Open since 14 Days, sorry to say this, i think i must wait some weeks more)

These two bugs are not harms the whole system, but the bug below:
- MDL-13896

If the developer will find more time to fix these kind of bugs or problems, i will wait two weeks for new releases!

Andy
In reply to Andy Tagliani

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Andy, this is a different issue. The code reviews are just about checking the fixes that have been made recently.

For your issue: there are a lot of outstanding bugs in the tracker and a limited number of developers to fix them, so we need to prioritise.

I'd love it if more developers from the community were willing to help fix these things but by far the majority of bugs end up with the same small core group.

Perhaps you can convince those big clients of yours to help fund some more developers to help us. wink

by Michael Blake -
Review: good idea
2) Once a week (currently we're thinking Tuesday) all developers stop coding and spend the day (or as long as it takes) to review and test new STABLE code

What kind of review/testing will take place? Review of individual bugs, system testing, a combination? How do developers standardise or unify their approach to this?
In reply to Michael Blake

by Martin Dougiamas -
Basically I was thinking there would be two parts to the testing:

1) testing the interface (if that makes sense) to make sure the fix works as it's supposed to.

2) reading the code and looking for mistakes.

This filter could be useful ... basically I was thinking first-come first-served on all the ones marked "Resolved" and not closed.

http://tracker.moodle.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=10543

We can also generate a listing of files that have not been checked yet (looking for REVIEWED tags that are not up to date).

It would be good to standardise the approach so it's obvious and simple. I'm assuming we'll improve as we go along! smile

by Ray Lawrence -
Weekly is a good idea. A bit of a pest for those sites that don't have the ability to use CVS if they need a bug fix urgently but I think the review benefits outweigh that.
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Ger Tielemans -

I use a "slightly modified" Moodle as schoolserver smile and it is such non-CVS-site..

But I am not a programmer, so I do not understand CVS when it finds a conflict and asks me to solve the difference blush 
I know which code I added myself, so..

I found this idiot-proof procedure for myself to maintain my main website:

1. My NEW 1.9 main Moodle website runs on Linux (Suse)
  2. I installed XAMPP on my laptop
  3. I copy my patched 1.9 website code to a subdir in /htdocs of XAMPP (= /SWP)
  4. I also installed a TortoiseCVS checkout of the latest Moodle in another subdir of XAMPP (= /moodleCVS)
  5. This did I once:
    1. I ran once a comparison with WinMerge to identify my local changes against the latest CVS.
      (WinMerge can neglect differences in end-of-lines between Windows and Linux and finds even the difference in number of white spaces.. another tool is Kdiff3)
    2. In every directory where I find one or more files which I had changed or added, I put a TXT file with my changes in the style of:

CODE WAS: ... (range of lines, not only the line number that is touched)

CODE NEW: ...(same range of lines with the changes in the middle)
  6. I do on my laptop (under XAMPP) a weekly CVS update (Is your advise Friday?) for my /htdocs/MoodleCVS and look at files which Tortoise mentions as changed:
    1. When files are new or changed while I did not touch them:
      I copy them blind from /htdocs/moodleCVS to /htdocs/SWP.
    2. When files are changed in CVS AND I changed the same files in my local Moodle (I read/check that in my TXT file in that dir):
      I compare them with the help of WinMerge  - see picture - and I merge by hand, only with the visual help of WinMerge - the changes from moodleCVS into my local files: as long as the new changes from CVS do not touch my own local changes, there is no need to change my TXT doc in that dir.
    3. Then I try to run the updated /htdocs/SWP moodle under XAMPP
    4. If that works, I copy the changed files form /htdocs/SWP to my school Moodle.

I think that the other Martin will fall from his chair and say: "what you do by hand is exactly what CVS does", but this way it gives me more feeling of human control, maybe I need a crash course in CVS? The free manual is not enough. blush

Attachment logo103.png
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Valery Fremaux -

This might be a usable procedure if number of changes is small and chages are localized, but might be much harder to follow on larger divergences...

I never knew how to get rid of the first line comparison (CVS automated timestamp tagging) on Kdiff3...

In reply to Valery Fremaux

by Martin Dougiamas -
I don't know about Kdiff3 ... on Unix it's easy

cvs -q update -kk ....

by Ger Tielemans -

With Kdiff3 you can compare three versions in parallel: I need this in situations where I have:

1.  my own changes, like changes for the WYSIWYG editor to keep the buttons on the right in the edit box)
  2. changes from another - not yet - mainstream patch (like Nanogong or DrawMath now, I like both!)
  3. the new daily CVS

I see with Kdiff3 the three files together in the same "lines-zone" and have to decide which changes should win:

those from new CVS, those from "old CVS" (like in a Nanogong file, patched from an earlier CVS) or my own additions in the oldest CVS, all in the same "lines-zone".

By the way, I was expecting comment from the other Martin smile

Must I read your comment as: install and learn LINUX?

(and I think that you are right: my approach is more sensetiv for human errors)

by Martín Langhoff -
Crazy stuff! git is designed _exactly_ for this, and these days it works on Windows, osx, and even linux! You can then track each patch individually, and keep your sanity too wink
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Ger Tielemans -
Thanks, I now will Google GIT

by Ger Tielemans -

pfffff...

Finally, you need to fix the whitespace issue caused by the difference between UNIX and WINDOWS carriage-return/line-feed. If you edit a file in a windows tool, it will leave an extra line-feed that triggers the error. The fix for this comes Capi’s Corner

Edit .git/hooks/pre-commit and comment the following lines(c. line 58).

if (/\\s$/) { bad_line("trailing whitespace", $_); } 

by Ger Tielemans -

"..I never knew how to get rid of the first line comparison.."

yes I have to copy everytime the new time header over the older..

by Martin Dougiamas -
/me falls off chair ... You really should make the effort to learn CVS smile It does this for you with much less possibility for errors ...

by Valery Fremaux -

Martin,

do you think it would be a good idea to sync a "production" instance on CVS update on its stable branch or might it be too risky for service stability ? i actually use distinct directories for stable checkouts and dev or production volumes.

Val. 

by Martin Dougiamas -
Well, yes, I do think you can, although there is a very small risk (< 1%?) that there might be some newly-introduced problem as a result of a recent bugfix that affects your site in a noticeable way (and not all admins have the skills to deal with those locally). Although generally this small risk is outweighed by the 99% improvements, we are seeking to reduce the risk even further.

You could use:

cvs -q update -dP -r MOODLE_19_REVIEWED

from next week for the least risk.

by Ger Tielemans -
I had recently a CVS-problem with one file that blocked complete working. The file was mentioned in the screen error, so replacing the file with an old version was enough in that case. (i forgot the name, something starting with un..)

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi,

very good idea smile

I prefer having a new (sub)version stable release once a week, but beeing sure that it will be good (because when you update and have a new bug sad ). People really wanting to have uptodate versions can still use CVS wink

Séverin

by Martín Langhoff -
Sounds great! Specially switching from dailies to weeklies.

- my only comment... will-try-to-resist... mentioning-using-a-better-SCM... can't do it!...

Using $DSCM there are a few very good workflows to "pull in" code only after it has one or two levels of peer-review.

Replace $DSCM with the distributed SCM of your preference wink
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hehe,

yesterday when I read the first messages in this discussion... I thought... "how many hours will Martín Langhoff" resist?" big grin big grin big grin

About the weekly generation of REVIEWED packages, I really like them, more that current daily ones, 100% agree.

Anyway, we must be really careful about moving that tag in one unique transaction for all the repository; if we do so gradually (while reviewing bugs and so) it can end in a unstable status (if the generation starts in the middle of the process).

Sure we can do that, just we need some way to know when everything has been reviewed (in the tracker?) in order to perform the global "cvs tag -F MOODLE_19_REVIEWED" when ready.

Also, how is the review task going to be shared, by QA assignment? Do we need one list of things (bugs) to review (and QA assignments) ready each Tuesday ?

All them, minor organizational issues, but just wanted to share them here.

Ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Martin Dougiamas -
Yes, perhaps we use the MOODLE_19_REVIEWED as a working tag (file-by-file), and bump another tag like MOODLE_19_WEEKLY for the final just-before-packaging tag (=== MOODLE_19_STABLE whether or not things have been reviewed).

And yes, I'm thinking we will use the QA assignment flag (that way all testers can participate) but I'm not sure if we can easily make filters that use that field currently ...

by Gary Anderson -
I think this is a great idea. And I would be happy to run my school's data through it each week and test the features where changes have been made with my classes as well as study the code.

I would suggest a few things, as I have always had trouble looking at changes over an interval of time:

1. Be very clear about the time that evaluations start and keep it open for a 24 hour window for comments (longer if issues are found that can not be unambiguously resolved). This will let people in different time zones have a chance to run their testing regime.

2. In some way list all the tracker items that are affected by the changes that week, especially so we can look at the diff files and read the commentary. I currently have to sort by change date and that can mean things are missed.

3. Have a way for testers to comment that the review has been made and what was found, even if that means that there were no issues to be raised. This could be as simple as a Mediawiki entry or a tracker entry.

4. Find a way to buy a round of beers for us doing the testingsmile

--Gary
In reply to Gary Anderson

by Martin Dougiamas -
Sorry I didn't reply before, Gary.

We can test fixes any time during the week. The idea of Tuesday is just to put aside time especially for this aspect. The aim is to have the list of outstanding untested issues down to zero by Wednesday when the automatic builds will happen.

If we don't then we just don't, we are still ahead of what we are doing now. I expect the number of regressions caused by bug-fixing to be very low overall.

See http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Weekly_Code_Review for details on how we can see what needs testing and who is doing what.

As for beers, perhaps users should be buying them for testers! big grin "Buy one every time you use a feature and it works perfectly!"

by Martin Dougiamas -
First weekly review is under way!

Here is the current process:

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Weekly_Code_Review

It's our usual testing process in fact and a bit simpler than originally proposed (not using the MOODLE_19_REVIEWED flag yet) just to see if we can get into a rhythm.

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Martin,

For clarification: do the non-developer QA persons (like me) have still the possibility to participate to the review?

(In fact, I'm glad to see that the "Test the fix" paragraph describes the way I'm still doing it.)
In reply to Nicolas Martignoni

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Nicolas,

the original idea was that developers review the PHP code, logic and coding style in general, which means coding skills are required.

For now we are using the Close action in Jira tacker. This may not be optimal because it interferes with QA work and testing from user perspective which is of course needed too. I am sure we can work on QA process improvements more this week.

So far this Review Tuesday seems to be a success - we already found several regressions today, discovered some more bugs and reviewed a lot of code - several patches were already committed and some more are waiting for review.

Petr
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Petr,

Thanks for your answer. You point correctly the "testing from user perspective" which is what I (and other) people did.

I saw that this Review tuesday was a success: it'll be very hard to compete with you in the next Bugathon wink
In reply to Petr Skoda

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
For now we are using the Close action in Jira tacker

Just an idea. Can Jira tracker be configured so we can add a new step into the workflow? I mean issue states:

Open > In progress > Resolved > Reviewed > Closed

Reviewers would change the the status from Resolved to Reviewed, while QA tester would change the status from Reviewed to Closed.
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Martin Dougiamas -
Yes, thanks everyone who helped! I think it was a great success too (and actually fun).

All the MOODLE_XX_WEEKLY tags (and the associated weekly packages) are now being generated automatically at about 1:00 GMT on Wednesday morning.

http://download.moodle.org

MOODLE_19_WEEKLY is the recommended tag to use with CVS for production servers.

So going forward, let's all try to keep to this sort of pattern:

Tuesday: testing and fixing of regressions ONLY, no new bug fixes
Wednesday: safest time for new bug fixes and larger patches
Other days: bug fixes and testing as usual

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I think testers have a useful contribution to make to testing Tuesdays. Testing the code and reviewing it complement each other nicely. The only thing is to decide how to coordinate the two types of effort.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Maybe Testing Monday and Review Tuesday and Tagging Wednesday big grin
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I think Petr may have reviewed too much code today, and so damaged his sanity wink

by Michael Blake -
There are bugs to review that don't necessarily demand code review. Instead of having multiple processes I'd suggest QA testers review/test bugs they are comfortable testing following the agreed process. The only difference is that "testers" use Tuesdays to completely focus on this task. At the end of the day the aim is to increase the quality of Moodle.

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Sorry to ask this question so long after the process announcement....

Does this affect the way we check corrections in at all? That is, do we need to add a new tag of any sort?

mike