Flashcard module add-on: Flash card module and Leitner flash cards

Flashcard module add-on: Flash card module and Leitner flash cards

by Christian Eckhardt -
Number of replies: 7
As far as I understood, the flash card module does not work according to the Leitner system. For a description of this system see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashcard -- For the learning of vocabulary in any language that would be a great improvement.

I can progam PHP but i'm not familiar with moodle modules. From my point of view this change is certainly with a reasonable amount of work for anybody who is familiar with this module, though I don't know how to do it exactly.

For language teachers this surely would be a great improvement of the module and even of moodle as a whole.

Is there anybody out there who is interested and able to do this?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Christian Eckhardt

Re: Flashcard module add-on: Flash card module and Leitner flash cards

by Valery Fremaux -

I took some time to renew the flashcard module since 1.8. I could take some time over to implement the Leitner system. Sounds efficient and rather simple to do indeed.

We could start with a simple implementation of the multiple box sliding card system, and get progressively more features in it.

I have some students working on Moodle project right now, but project dispatching is over for this course year. I would not rely on students to add this implementation to the actual flashcard.

I'll check for my awfully high project stack to steel some time there, surely during our February break. Anyway the goal seems being reachable and neatly defined. Four or five days of intensive programming should get rid of it.

If you want to contribute to this, be welcome in the http://www.ethnoinformatique.fr/course/view.php?id=123&lang=en_utf8

Moodle Project working space. We could work on preparing the shape of the enhancement and have close follow up of work done on it.

Cheers.

In reply to Valery Fremaux

by Christian Eckhardt -
This really sounds promissing. Thank you very much in advance!
It will be very helpful for a lot of language teachers.
In reply to Christian Eckhardt

by Valery Fremaux -

Christian,

the full implementation of the Leitner system is now available as beta here :

http://www.ethnoinformatique.fr/course/view.php?id=123&lang=en_utf8

A night build at http://download.moodle.org/plugins/mod/flashcard.zip

should either give you the last commited files.

The module needs testers to check all implementations. Would you be one of them ?

We made the Leitner system versatile, so it is configurable to use 2, 3 or 4 decks. The old behaviour using one single deck for a "free play training" has been kept.

The module is now multimedia, and allows making image or even sound cards. Cards will generate the appropriate code for using the text label as an image or sound filename.

I am still studying the opportunity of adding a notification system that would asynchronously notify users that a card deck needs review. I will collect usage opinions on the module as it starts being used really in production field.

Enjoy, and tell about...

Cheers.

Note : Still some docs to write and a real plugin documentation... to come next.

by Peter Spev -
How may we help? We have fluent Chinese and Spanish and English people. the Leitner flashcard would be a great addition. We have only limited PHP programming time.
In reply to Peter Spev

by Valery Fremaux -

Hi Peter, thanks for your involvement.

No trouble in limited PHP programming effort. The flashcard is not a huge module and I can be somewhat reactive on it.

Spanish language file (why not chinese !!) could be really appreciated.

The best u can do is testing and reporting any difficulties or even suggestions for completion or enhancements. I have a couple of them in mind and already suggestions from Juerg Hoerner, but I would really like they be collectively approved so I can spend some time on the code focussing the most useful features.

Thanks again.

by Tom Connolly -
Wow! This is what I am looking for! What is the status on the inclusion of the Leitner system with flash cards? Does this maintain individual data accurately? reliably?
In reply to Tom Connolly

by Greg Szczotka -
Valery,
It would be great to test your module. On your page there are no cards/questions in it so I cannot test it. Could you add them?

With regards,
Greg