Certificate Updated for 1.9

Certificate Updated for 1.9

by Chardelle Busch -
Number of replies: 15
Picture of Core developers
The Certificate module has been updated for 1.9. Please post any issues/bugs in the tracker and assign them to me.

Changes/new features:

Please note that if a grade is printed on the certificate, that grade is now saved in the database and will not change.

There is a new date option to print the date that a chosen course activity was graded.

The report page now includes sorting by group and downloading.

I have created an add-on to the certificate: Certificate Site-wide Report.

If you install this add-on (the folder is added under the main Moodle folder), then, when you add a certificate to a course, you have the option of sending that certificate's info (course, certificate name, date, grade--if printed, code) to the site-wide report. Students will see a report of all of the certificates they have received and Admins can view and download certificate reports for all students. A block is included that provides a link to the report (for the front page or the My Moodle page, for example).

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chardelle Busch

Re: Certificate Updated for 1.9

by Brett Hallongren -

Chardelle:

We are using the 1.8 version and sometimes have students that can't get the PDF to open (for various reasons).  We would like to be able to resave the PDF to a JPG but when we pull up the awarded certificate it is password enabled so we are unable to resave it as a JPG.  Where would I find the password for each certificate?

Thanks.

In reply to Brett Hallongren

by Chardelle Busch -
Hi Brett,

I'm not sure what you mean when you say it is password enabled.

As a teacher, there are two ways to view a student's certificate.
1. Do a loginas (if you have that capability) of each student and click on the certificate.

2. When you set up a certificate, choose the option to save the certificate. This saves each student's actual pdf file in the course files. Then, when you click on the view issues link to see the certificate report, you will also see a link to each student's saved certificate.

by Brett Hallongren -

Thank you for your response.  I'll be a bit more specific.

If I save a student's certificate (one that has been issued) and open it in Acrobat 8 Pro I have no trouble seeing it or printing it.

If I then hit "Save As" and change the type to JPG it tells me that I have "Insufficient Permissions for Image Extraction".  That same happens if I try to export it to JPG, Word, etc.

If I go to "Properties" then "Security" it says that the document has password security enabled.  Disabling password security requires a password that I do not have.

I completely understand why the document should be password protected.  If not the student could change it at will.  It causes me some trouble though when I need to change it as the admin.

Thanks.

In reply to Brett Hallongren

by Chardelle Busch -
Yikes, I was confusedsmile. Okay, now I understand the question.
Currently, the password is random. If you want to set a password:
open the certificate/type/typeyouareusing/certificate.php file.

find the following line toward the bottom:

$pdf->SetProtection(array('print'));

change it to:

$pdf->SetProtection(array('print'),'','12345'); (note that the '' is two single quotes NOT one double quote)

You can change the 12345 to any password you would like.

Now, if you want to do anything in the pdf other than print, you can change the Document Properties Security settings after entering that password.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Brett Hallongren -

I can completely understand your confusion, I did a very bad job of explaining my problem in the first post.  I'll blame it on a lack of sleep and subzero temperatures freezing my brainwink.

Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

by pencho tonchev -
I am using moodle 1.9 beta 4 version 2007101506 and latest certificate module.
I have a topic formated course with just one offline activity. As an administrator I have graded all students for this activity. Grader report shows all grades for activity and for the course .When i add a certificate locked on required course grades (like 97%) i got an error message like :
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: certificate_get_course_grade() in c:\Websites\lllnutrition207\lll-nutrition.com\ed\mod\certificate\lib.php on line 1282
Indeed I can't find such function. Also on 4 line in certificate/lib.php is included /grade/querylib.php . There is no such library in new grade module.

When I lock certificate on my graded activity, certificate is loaded as a activity in my course, but students can' t view their certificates
please help
p tonchev
In reply to pencho tonchev

by Chardelle Busch -
The gradebook API has changed yet again, and I am waiting to upgrade the certificate again.

Adding other info to certificate

by Jon Swift -
Love the mod. I am setting it up to use with our Emergency Medical Services to gain credit for continuing ed.

I was wondering if it is possible to print other info on the certificate after their name .... or . ... even in the extra text field. We want to include the EMT numbers of the members if they get to receive a certificate (upon passing a quiz). We have all of their emt numbers saved under "id number" which is a default field for user info.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

In reply to Jon Swift

Re: Adding other info to certificate

by Chardelle Busch -
Hi Jon,

Try adding a line to print the id number to the type/certificate.php file (add it under any other line that starts with cert_printtext) that you are using like this:

cert_printtext(170, 500, 'C', 'Times', '', 10, utf8_decode($USER->idnumber));

You can adjust the placement of it by changing the numbers 170 (over from the left) and 500 (down from the top) numbers.

by Richard Fourie -
Hi Chardelle,

my head is spinning. I have searched through the forum topics and finally arrived here. First of all, I would like to express my respect for the work you have and are doing. Secondly, at the risk of having cross-posted on a recent thread on Activity Locking, I hope you do not mind me asking a question related to the Certificate module in relation to Activity Locking.

When I go to the page for the Cert. module, there is mention at the end of the description that the version for 1.8+ includes activity and course locking features. Does this mean I would not need to install the Activity Locking module?

We are trying to test Moodle version 1.8.2 (not 1.8.2+) on a devel. server with
Activity Locking and Certificates.

Please forgive my cross-post directed to Bernard.

Sincerely,

Richard
In reply to Richard Fourie

by Chardelle Busch -
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the nice comments. The AL code in the certificate is for locking the certificate based on scores for quizzes, scorms, lessons, or for completing a feedback, survey or questionnaire, or for time spent in the course. So, if you are wanting to lock activities other than the certificate, you will need the AL hack.

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Chardelle and lots of thanks for your continous work at this module.

I saw that you are waiting for a final version of 1.9 for further module updates. Is it possible to create a certificate based on the final results of a complete course using the new gradebook in 1.9?

ralf
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Chardelle Busch -
Hi Ralf,

The cerificate 1.9 version is finished and ready for download.

Do you mean locking the certificate based on the gradebook api? The added certificate locking code does not use the gradebook api (since this code is only temporary until 2.0 conditional activities--it wasn't updated--it uses individual mod grades)--so sorry, no.

The certificate uses the new gradebook api code only to print a student's grade and/or outcome.

by J P -

Help!  I installed the 1.9 cert on my 1.9 install (just did it last night) and I'm getting a blank page when I create a certificate in an activity.  It's a 500 error.

What am I doing wrong?

In reply to Jon Swift

Re: Adding other info to certificate and questions

by JoAnne Schnyder -
Jon,

I am also involved with a project with an Emergency Medical Services group, and wanting to utilize the certificate module in the same capacity. We are just starting and have not implemented Moodle yet - still in the planning phase. I was hoping for a little more information about your implementation specifically as an EMS group. How are you hosting your site (own server, Moodle Partner, web hosting company), what classes are you using it for, how are you tracking total CEU's for your providers? Any learning experiences you wish to share would be appreciated.

I hope no one minds my posting this inquiry here. I could not find another way to contact you outside of the forum. (I am hoping you are subscribed and will receive this post.) We can move to another forum, if need be.

Thanks,
JoAnne