export in SCORM format

export in SCORM format

by JB A -
Number of replies: 4
Hye,
I'm french administrator, and i'm studing the moodle platform for my enterprise. I would like to know if Moodle can export activities or ressources in SCORM format?
i've tested the import functionnality, and it works fine. Now, I want to know if Moodle integrates the functionnality which perform to export in SCORM format, like the exe software.
The idea is "what happens if i choose an other platform than Moodle in two years, and how can i reintegrate all the ressources in the other platform." SCORM is made for that, and i can't find any abilities to export or backup the Moodle courses in this format.
Any answer wil be appreciate, thank you for your replies.
JB
Average of ratings: -
In reply to JB A

Re: export in SCORM format

by Eduardo Hernandez -

Moodle does not export in SCORM format, because you will never want to leave Moodle!!! Ok. now talking seriously. If you are working in an environment where several platforms could involved, or where a potential transition from one solution to another, then it is not a good idea to rely on platforms for exporting content, because most of them does not export for SCORM. What you should do it's to create and package content under SCORM using tools regardless of the platform being used. You can create SCORM packages with tools such as eXe Learning or RELOAD Editor.

In reply to Eduardo Hernandez

by JB A -
Thank you for your answer. I will use exe software to produce the content, and so could i have portable content in scorm format.
Now is the question about the functionnalities, because it seems to have more functionnalities with Moodle native content instead of with SCORM content. I will search the good solution for my context.
Bye

In reply to JB A

by Eduardo Hernandez -
Hey JB!,

Let me add some more details why Moodle does not export its courses in SCORM format.

First of all, SCORM is about self-paced content and evaluations, while a Moodle course is much, much than content and self-paced learning. So, if we export a Moodle course as SCORM, we will have to exclude all interaction tools keeping only content (resources) and -probably- quizzes. We will have to remove forums, assignment, workshops, choice tools. If we export Moodle quizzes and because SCORM does not include a teacher/tutor/mentor role we will have to remove essay questions. As you can see, we will be only exporting what we have added as a "Resource" (HTML pages, docs, pdfs & ppts)

Second. A content to take full advantage of SCORM must include some piece of code to "talk" to servers back and forth storing and/or retreiving student/user's performance. Most of our content uploaded to our Moodle courses does not include this code, so it makes no sense to export our Resources as SCORM content.

As you can see is not a good idea to export a Moodle course as SCORM, I think this will only gives us headaches than solutions.

So, please go ahead with eXe, or with WebSoft CourseLab, great too, free, not opensource but free!

In reply to Eduardo Hernandez

by JB A -
hey Eduardo!
another thanks for those precisions. that's exactly what i found during my readings and it's good to see that i was not so wrong. I will follow your advices, and produce contents with Exe or another software like this, and plainly use moodle functionnalities.